Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AceOfClubs
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

BEWARE **DOORSTEP SCAMMERS*****

BEWARE OF SALESMEN CALLING DOOR TO DOOR - LYING AND ATTEMPTING FRAUD

On Friday I had a knock at the door.  It was two young studenty type men in their early 20s

They introduced themselves as being "from your local telephone exchange".  They said they "were calling in connection with the letter sent to me last week".

Now I didn't have a letter from my local telephone exchange last week...In fact I'm pretty sure that my local telephone exchange doesn't send out letters....so I was immediately suspicious of these characters.

Both seem to have some ID badge, but this was cleverly tucked into their jacket and hidden....However he hadn't been as careful in hiding the lanyard attached to the hidden badge...and this lanyard poking out beneath his jacket revealed that he was actually from another ISP.    Yes....he lied, he wasn't from the telephone exchange at all.

I simply told him I had no letter, and I didn't want to buy anything he was selling.

He replied that he wasn't selling anything (another lie) and that he was from the local telephone exchange and wanted to collect the letter about the government upgrade to the broadband in the area.

I repeated that I didn't want to buy anything from him and shut the door. 

In hindsight i should have kept him talking, to get more details of the scam.

If I had kept talking and said I hadn't received the non-existent letter, apparently the next step is that they offer to "check your phone line to make sure it is upgradeable".  They invite themselves into your home with the lie that they are checking the line...and eventually produce a copy of this pretend letter for you to sign.....Only the pretend letter is a contract to switch your home phone and broadband to another ISP.

The purpose of my post is to warn people to be careful if you get a doorstep visit from the sales scam team,  and also to ask BT why aren't you doing something about this?

It must be illegal.   Do I report them to BT?  Ofcom?  Trading Standards?  the Police?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 10

Re: BEWARE **DOORSTEP SCAMMERS*****

@AceOfClubs wrote:
On Friday I had a knock at the door.  It was two young studenty type men in their early 20s

Both seem to have some ID badge, but this was cleverly tucked into their jacket and hidden....However he hadn't been as careful in hiding the lanyard attached to the hidden badge.....
.. and also to ask BT why aren't you doing something about this?

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Whenever someone calls at the door, *always* ask to see their ID card - in fact look at it closely. If they don't show you, then send them on their way.

Frankly, may I ask how you believe that BT can do something about nothing they know about ?

There are many phone companies out there, the people calling at your door may have called on a customer of any one of them - so how would they expect to do something about it ?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

@ACE of Clubs wrote:

BEWARE OF SALESMEN CALLING DOOR TO DOOR - LYING AND ATTEMPTING FRAUD

They introduced themselves as being "from your local telephone exchange".  They said they "were calling in connection with the letter sent to me last week".

Now I didn't have a letter from my local telephone exchange last week...In fact I'm pretty sure that my local telephone exchange doesn't send out letters....so I was immediately suspicious of these characters.

Both seem to have some ID badge, but this was cleverly tucked into their jacket and hidden....However he hadn't been as careful in hiding the lanyard attached to the hidden badge...and this lanyard poking out beneath his jacket revealed that he was actually from another ISP.    Yes....he lied, he wasn't from the telephone exchange at all.

I simply told him I had no letter, and I didn't want to buy anything he was selling.

He replied that he wasn't selling anything (another lie) and that he was from the local telephone exchange and wanted to collect the letter about the government upgrade to the broadband in the area.

I repeated that I didn't want to buy anything from him and shut the door. 

In hindsight i should have kept him talking, to get more details of the scam.

If I had kept talking and said I hadn't received the non-existent letter, apparently the next step is that they offer to "check your phone line to make sure it is upgradeable".  They invite themselves into your home with the lie that they are checking the line...and eventually produce a copy of this pretend letter for you to sign.....Only the pretend letter is a contract to switch your home phone and broadband to another ISP.

The purpose of my post is to warn people to be careful if you get a doorstep visit from the sales scam team,  and also to ask BT why aren't you doing something about this?

It must be illegal.   Do I report them to BT?  Ofcom?  Trading Standards?  the Police?

They are from a respected (or, at least, profitable) company. You do sometimes see the odd over-enthusiastic salesman at your front door.

I had exactly the same situation some years ago with anothe ISP. He was coming to check my telephone line (please be ready see us tomorrow).. After a few questions I pinned him down to "I'm trying to save you some money". Poor long suffering individual!

If you are suspicious, ask to see a copy of  his Traders License. It's difficult to think of that, at the time, however.

I have a "No Cold Callers" sticker, issued by the County Council, on display. If push comes to shove you can always point to it politely.

0 Ratings
Ocean
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 10

I have a very nice colourful notice on my door informing sales people of all descriptions not to ring the bell or knock on the door as my "dog" does not understand English. Smiley Very Happy

It Works!

. . . it must be remembered that the sea is a great breeder of friendship. Two men who have known each other for twenty years find that twenty days at sea bring them nearer than ever they were before, or else estrange them.
0 Ratings
totalmess
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 10

Call your dog Suarez nobody knocks then .

0 Ratings
Ocean
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 10

Ha, ha, ha. I like it Smiley Very Happy

. . . it must be remembered that the sea is a great breeder of friendship. Two men who have known each other for twenty years find that twenty days at sea bring them nearer than ever they were before, or else estrange them.
0 Ratings
toekneem
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 10

Come knocking on my door and I AM that Dog.
toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
01whylove
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

anks for the wonderfull article

0 Ratings
Dean235
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 10

I'm guessing thhey are from TalkTalk 😕

0 Ratings
carlj64
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 10

Reminds me of a time in the early 80s, when I had a knock at the door. Looked out of window and saw a very attractive young women. Smiling, I rushed to the door, best New Romantic hair and outfit on, thinking it's my lucky day.

Door opens, I'm looking cool. The young woman smiles, then is shoved to one side by a prune-esque Nun, who promptly stated that they were doing the Lords work, and would like to talk to me about this...

0 Ratings