cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
altecsole
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

BPO Collections still asking for money even though it was a mistake by BT!

Go to solution

On the 26th February I received an email with BT logo to tell me that my debt of £97.36 had been passed to BPO Collections Ltd for collection. Not having any idea what this debt was for, I contacted BPO who told me that would have to quote my post-code before they'd speak to me. Having quoted every post-code I've lived at for the last twenty years, they told me that it didn't match the post-code on the debt and I'd have to speak to BT.

So, a couple of days later I finally managed to speak to someone at BT and it transpired that the debt was for premium BT email that I'd signed up for many years ago when I stopped being a BT internet customer and still wanted to keep my email address. If I remember correctly, it was £1.50 per month and I paid using a card. I can only assume that after a couple of years my card expired and I forgot about it. I never received any notification for payment from BT (I still use the btinternet email address) and assumed that they'd fallen in line with other suppliers in providing free email accounts.

Anyway, the person I spoke to accepted that BT had not tried to contact me about payment and said that he would removed the debt from their records. Great, it took some time to sort out, but eventually I got some good customer service.

Then today I get another email from BPO Collections threatening further action if the debt isn't payed. I tried phoning BT again and, after negotiating the automated system which insists you must have a BT phone number, I waited in a queue for fifteen minutes before being disconnected without speaking to anyone. Okay, ring back and opt for a call back. Twenty minutes later a call back where the advisor insisted on me giving him my BT phone number - I don't have one. So, I tried to explain the problem and half way through he hung up! I called up again and setup another call back and then couldn't get past the advisor wanting my post code and street number, even though I asked to give me the BT reference number related the the debt.

Please, can someone advise what to do next? I just want to speak to someone who understands that I'm not calling about a BT landline and just want to sort out this issue.

Many thanks for taking the time to read... if you've got this far!

Jim

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
NeilO
Message 2 of 4

Re: BPO Collections still asking for money even though it was a mistake by BT!

Go to solution

@altecsole Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. I'm really sorry about the difficulties you had when trying to get this sorted. We'll be happy to look into this further if you contact us using the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details. You can find the link by clicking on my username .

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
altecsole
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution
Many thanks. I'm sat in a queue waiting to speak to the Premium Mail team. I'll update after the call.
0 Ratings
altecsole
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Okay. I finally got to speak to someone from Premium Mail who confirmed that the debt has been waived and suggested that I reply to BPO Collections to tell them so (like they've never heard that one before). So, I'll try that and see how it goes.

The BT advisor also told me that I have to start paying £1.60 per month (rising to £5 per month) to keep my btinternet.com email address. I've had the email address for about 12 years but, with the other free options available, including Yahool which is basically what btinternet.com email is, I'm going to pass on that. I guess I'm actually pretty fortnunate that a billing fault has meant that I've got away without paying for so long. So, thanks BT - we got there in the end.

0 Ratings