Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Laserjet3200
Aspiring Expert
Message 41 of 48

Re: BROADBAND USAGE DATA WRONG.

Go to solution

Crosspost from my other query:

OK: I went away for the weekend so unplugged the router on Friday evening.

• Logged into my BT Account from where we were staying on Saturday morning to check the BT Usage Monitor which read 18.71GB
  • Enjoyed an excellent day out with friends.
  • Returned home on Sunday, plugged in the router and checked the usage monitor which (having been in the boot of my car for 41 hours) now read 21.66GB. So, 2.95GB of use without a router!
  • Concluded that my usage must figure must just be some random function & in no way related to my actual use.
  • Nice little earner if you can get it!
I'm now back online but note that my download speed has dropped from around 5MBPS to just over 2KBPS - upload is now down to under 4KBPS. I feel more pain to come...
0 Ratings
tigerb
Contributor
Message 42 of 48

Go to solution

I have just been on the phone to BT, about the £10 extra broadband usage . The lady I explained the situation to as assured me that the £10 will be taken of my account, and they accepted the fault on the usage data up to the 7th MARCH was wrong. As soon as I see the £10 is taken of my bill I will let you know.

Just to keep you informed my usage data for today 11March  shows 1.15GB used for 10 days.

0 Ratings
tigerb
Contributor
Message 43 of 48

Go to solution

The lady I spoke to yesterday, true to her word adjusted my bill so that the £10 was taken off. Im now glad to be able to report that everything as returned to normal.

My advise to others is, if you know you have not used the usage that the usage data says you have. You have got to persevere and not let up on the calls to bt (myself I spent between 40 to 50 hours on the phone.) Remember the phone calls to BT are freephone. Also keep notes on every call  and also your usage data daily.Also ask them to check your usage from before your problems started, to compare it with the usage they claim you have used during when the problem started. (eg) my usage over the last 5 years was an average of 7.50GB a month, Then in February shot up to just under 40GB. This did give them a basis to see that something could be wrong. Ihope this is some help to others with the same problem.

0 Ratings
tigerb
Contributor
Message 44 of 48

Go to solution

Just an update.

usage for june 2011 up till today 27th june. 1.45gb repeat 1.45gb.

0 Ratings
apbristow
Aspiring Contributor
Message 45 of 48

Go to solution

I have the same problem.   I have just received an email saying that my Broadband usage for Sep was 25Gb!  I'd be pushed to imagine how as I am military and have been serving in Afghanistan since January.  My wife, who also works away from home, was there for only 6 days (3 weekends) last month and, anyway, only sends the odd email and checks out the occasional website.  I have no way of phoning BT from where I am so cannot contest the usage other than to raise it here.  This has happened to us once before and no amount of argument would penetrate the automatons on the customer service number (after 20-30 hours cumulatively on the phone) whose patronising message that I could '....always upgrade' singularly failed to acknowledge or resolve the problem. 

BT - you have a major fault with your usage monitoring and you are in denial.  I am planning to defect as soon as I get home to a service provider who understands the term service.

Andy    

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 46 of 48

Go to solution

@apbristow wrote:

I have the same problem.   I have just received an email saying that my Broadband usage for Sep was 25Gb!  I'd be pushed to imagine how as I am military and have been serving in Afghanistan since January.  My wife, who also works away from home, was there for only 6 days (3 weekends) last month and, anyway, only sends the odd email and checks out the occasional website.  I have no way of phoning BT from where I am so cannot contest the usage other than to raise it here.  This has happened to us once before and no amount of argument would penetrate the automatons on the customer service number (after 20-30 hours cumulatively on the phone) whose patronising message that I could '....always upgrade' singularly failed to acknowledge or resolve the problem. 

BT - you have a major fault with your usage monitoring and you are in denial.  I am planning to defect as soon as I get home to a service provider who understands the term service.

Andy    

Hi Andy.

When your wife is away working, is it possible for her to check the online usage meter on a daily basis in order to see if anything is beng used ?

Pardon me for asking, but is your router turned off for the period she and you are away ? Is there anyone else that comes into the house that may use the connection ?

When your wife was there, did she use Skype video chat by any chance ?, or uses catch up TV via the web which can use 1GB per hour or more depending on the quality etc.

0 Ratings
keremma
Beginner
Message 47 of 48

Go to solution
Hi, just seen this set of emails. This as happened to me this month. What was the answer please
0 Ratings
Highlighted
keremma
Beginner
Message 48 of 48

Go to solution
Sean

What is the answe here pleae. This has happened to me and our colleagues at BT Cannot explain it
0 Ratings