cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rebnats
Contributor
Message 11 of 38

Re: BROADBAND USAGE WITH YOUVIEW??

This is worrying can a Mod confirm that now tv or any other services in future will not count on your broadband useage never mind what broadband or vision package you have. Customers on another thread are stating they are now being charged for going over their broadband allowance through youview.
0 Ratings
jrpatten
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 38

I was under the impression from online literature and sales staff that the YouView box would be exempt from download usage no matter what application you were using, be it Now TV, iPlayer etc. Now that people are reporting that this is not the case, it is quite worrying. What is the point in paying £4 per month when you can't use the service for what it is meant for? If I purchased one of the box office films, BT would be getting money for the rental, and maybe extra money for the bandwidth to watch it! The old BT vision box was exempt from download data, even for catchup. This should be the case for YouView. I know people can go to the shop and buy a YouView box, but we are paying an extra £4 a month, surley you should get something for the money.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 13 of 38

The terms and conditions state:

"If you have a Youview box provided by BT and don't have a subscription with BT Vision, any on demand video content not provided by BT, will count towards any download limit applicable under your BT Broadband agreement."

The implication is that if you do have a subscription to BT Vision on demand content from other providers will not count towards your download limit.

This does leave some questions, however, like what if you buy your own box?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 38

Don't yet have Youview but I have looked at the advertising which says

TV On-Demand lets you watch your favourite show at a time that suits you. Not only that, but you can enjoy your favourite shows on a big screen, and in the comfort of your living room, rather than crouching over your laptop.

As well as the Freeview shows you're used to, you'll also get access to 'Players' such as BBC iPlayer, NowTV and BT Vision which has the largest video on demand library on YouView. The best part is more Players are expected to be available on YouView over time, meaning the content you have access to will continue to grow.

----------------------

There's no need to worry about your BT Broadband usage allowance. With BT Vision Player Unlimitedall BT Vision and YouView On Demand and catch-up TV is exempt from your usage.

0 Ratings
rebnats
Contributor
Message 15 of 38

Yes most of us are aware of the advert claims and terms,conditions etc. Then please BT why are some customers with a BT YouView box with a subscription to BT Vision being charged for going over their broadband limits through this box under these terms.
0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 16 of 38

@zulu17 wrote:

Don't yet have Youview but I have looked at the advertising which says

TV On-Demand lets you watch your favourite show at a time that suits you. Not only that, but you can enjoy your favourite shows on a big screen, and in the comfort of your living room, rather than crouching over your laptop.

As well as the Freeview shows you're used to, you'll also get access to 'Players' such as BBC iPlayer, NowTV and BT Vision which has the largest video on demand library on YouView. The best part is more Players are expected to be available on YouView over time, meaning the content you have access to will continue to grow.

----------------------

There's no need to worry about your BT Broadband usage allowance. With BT Vision Player Unlimitedall BT Vision and YouView On Demand and catch-up TV is exempt from your usage.

That's what I was on about in my earlier post, that it states it doesn't count towards usage if you are on the unlimited product, but if you opt for the £49+£4pm then from reading the above, any usage outside of BT Vision player goes against you.

So if you are on a capped broadband/infinity product the only way to ensure you don't get charged for usage via youview is to subscribe to the bt vision player unlimited package.

For all users on an un-capped broadband/infinity product then it doesn't matter which BT Vision player package you take.

The £4 a month for the basics is just so you don't get charged for download usage within the BT Vision player which is defunct for all users on an uncapped broadband/infinity product, so in essence you are actually paying twice.

0 Ratings
jrpatten
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 38

The BT YouView details specify on the following catch up page:

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/tv/catch-up

"We've made sure your viewing is unlimited, even if your Broadband usage isn't. Whichever Broadband option you choose, none of your TV on demand viewing will count towards your usage limit when you have YouView from BT. So sit back, relax, and watch as much as you like."

It does not specify that you need to be on the "TV Unlimted" package.

The way I interpreted the sales literature is as follows.

The "TV Essential" package would mean you get pay as you go access to BT Vision content and would have unlmited download usage on all players via the YouView Box.

The "TV Unlimited" package would mean you get unlimited access to BT Vision content and would have unlmited download usage on all players via the YouView Box.

If BT start charging for extra download usage when we are subscribed to the "TV Essential" pacakage then I think that we have been mis sold the YouView service.

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 38

@jrpatten wrote:

"We've made sure your viewing is unlimited, even if your Broadband usage isn't. Whichever Broadband option you choose, none of your TV on demand viewing will count towards your usage limit when you have YouView from BT. So sit back, relax, and watch as much as you like."

The "TV Essential" package would mean you get pay as you go access to BT Vision content and would have unlmited download usage on all players via the YouView Box.

The "TV Unlimited" package would mean you get unlimited access to BT Vision content and would have unlmited download usage on all players via the YouView Box.

If BT start charging for extra download usage when we are subscribed to the "TV Essential" pacakage then I think that we have been mis sold the YouView service.

The thing is why would anyone want to pay for TV Essential if they are already on an unlimited internet service - fair enough if they are on a limited package per month.

0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 19 of 38

@walkerx wrote:

@jrpatten wrote:

The thing is why would anyone want to pay for TV Essential if they are already on an unlimited internet service - fair enough if they are on a limited package per month.

But it's not a case of wanting to pay, you have to pay.

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 20 of 38

@drhowells wrote:

@walkerx wrote:

@jrpatten wrote:

But it's not a case of wanting to pay, you have to pay.

I know you have to pay, but you must want to pay in the first place to get one - but BT make it sound as though you only get unlimited access and wont be charged for usage if you pay this fee, which is incorrect for users on unlimited accounts.

BT should apply QOS to all content through the box and not just the Vision Player side

0 Ratings