Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Boowip
Beginner
Message 31 of 38

Re: BROADBAND USAGE WITH YOUVIEW??

Here We Go

After six months of phone calls, with at least 20 BT operators, which basically went along the lines of

Me: watching tv through my youview box is putting up my usage

BT: no it isn't

Me: It definitely is

BT: That's impossible madam. You must have a games console or be downloading films on your PC

Me: No I'm not. It's the youview box and I'm being charged £5 every month for going over my 10gb limit

BT: it cannot be the youview box

Me: it really really is

I unplugged the Youview box from the Internet for 2 weeks and sure enough my usage plummeted.

Someone at BT has told me today - IF YOU SEARCH THROUGH THE GUIDE AND WATCH CATCH-UP THAT WAY IS DOES NOT AFFECT YOUR USAGE. ANY OTHER WAY THAT YOU SEARCH FOR CONTENT ON THE YOUVIEW BOX ('SEARCH' FUNCTION, DIRECT TO eg IPLAYER/4OD) WILL CONTRIBUTE TO YOUR 10GB LIMIT.

So as far as I'm concerned I was missold the service in the first place. When ordering it I even asked if all of 4OD back catalogue would be included and they said an emphatic 'yes'. Cannot believe it has taken 6 months for someone to admit this.

Did anyone else know this?

0 Ratings
MartinH
Expert
Message 32 of 38

@Boowip wrote:

Here We Go

After six months of phone calls, with at least 20 BT operators, which basically went along the lines of

Me: watching tv through my youview box is putting up my usage

Me: It definitely is

BT: That's impossible madam. You must have a games console or be downloading films on your PC

Me: No I'm not. It's the youview box and I'm being charged £5 every month for going over my 10gb limit

BT: it cannot be the youview box

Me: it really really is

I unplugged the Youview box from the Internet for 2 weeks and sure enough my usage plummeted.

Someone at BT has told me today - IF YOU SEARCH THROUGH THE GUIDE AND WATCH CATCH-UP THAT WAY IS DOES NOT AFFECT YOUR USAGE. ANY OTHER WAY THAT YOU SEARCH FOR CONTENT ON THE YOUVIEW BOX ('SEARCH' FUNCTION, DIRECT TO eg IPLAYER/4OD) WILL CONTRIBUTE TO YOUR 10GB LIMIT.

So as far as I'm concerned I was missold the service in the first place. When ordering it I even asked if all of 4OD back catalogue would be included and they said an emphatic 'yes'. Cannot believe it has taken 6 months for someone to admit this.

Did anyone else know this?

You may have been told that today but it's nonsense. 

0 Ratings
brightspark
Contributor
Message 33 of 38

I have had the same problem with Broadband Option 1, which is limiting my use of the Iplayer. I did go over in February / March by about 1GB and I believe I am well over this month. I was advised on the broadband usage page that I would get an e-mail, but this didn't arrive. I haven't been charged any extra but I must admit I don't trust BT to get this right.

However, I orderred Infinity about ten days ago, should be activate this coming week. But I have noticed that they have already increased my allowance to 40GB.

I want the extra channels but don't know if my exchange is multicast enabled, it does not indicate this on the Openreach checking page. ..............Anybody know how I can find out..........Cat Indifferent

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Boowip
Beginner
Message 34 of 38

Hi Martin H

Are you a BT employee or someone with the same issue?

What makes you say that it is nonsense?

0 Ratings
MartinH
Expert
Message 35 of 38

@Boowip wrote:

Hi Martin H

Are you a BT employee or someone with the same issue?

What makes you say that it is nonsense?

Hi

I'm a customer just like yourself. But

"IF YOU SEARCH THROUGH THE GUIDE AND WATCH CATCH-UP THAT WAY IS DOES NOT AFFECT YOUR USAGE. ANY OTHER WAY THAT YOU SEARCH FOR CONTENT ON THE YOUVIEW BOX ('SEARCH' FUNCTION, DIRECT TO eg IPLAYER/4OD) WILL CONTRIBUTE TO YOUR 10GB LIMIT."

is nonsense spouted, I suspect, by someone who wasn't paying attention during their product briefing. 

"We've made sure your viewing is unlimited, even if your Broadband usage isn't. Whichever Broadband option you choose, none of your TV on demand viewing will count towards your usage limit when you have YouView from BT. So sit back, relax, and watch as much as you like."

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/tv/catch-up

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 36 of 38

Does anybody know how Bt actually knows what device its broadband is being used upon?

I can understand that if the BT vision player on Youview is used then it would know that downloads invoked thru the player were to be ignored for usage limit purposes.  But if you just switched on Youview and went directly to a non BT player and played (downloaded) something how does BT know that it is Youview being used and not some other device ?

0 Ratings
jam2000
Expert
Message 37 of 38

ip address from the youview box?
0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 38 of 38

Hi Boowip,

Can you send us your details so we can check this for you?

You can find our contact link by clicking on my username.

Thanks,

Stephanie

0 Ratings