Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimlauren1821
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

BROKEN ROUTER

Hello

So last Wednesday night (12/10/2016) my internet stopped working, I tried the usual turn the router off, reset the router, wait ten minutes, run round the router ten times Smiley Very Happy . After having no success with any of this I phoned bt.  Here is a list of my dealings with them

• Thursday - phoned bt I was told, after they had done line tests and discovered a fault, there would be an engineer arriving on Friday.
  • Friday - waited for an engineer, half an hour before my allocated slot expired, I phoned bt and was told there was an engineer in my area and that he would be arriving shortly ( he never did). I phoned bt again and explained that the engineer did not arrive, another appointment was set for Saturday.
  • Saturday - Guess what, no engineer, I had waited in the house again for nothing.  I phoned bt again, I explained that I was upset with the service I was receiving and that I did not appreciate being lied to, so yet again another engineers appointment was made for Sunday. I didn't hold much hope that he would arrive but bt informed me that he would be there.
  • Sunday - yip you guessed it, no engineer.  I phoned bt again, this time I was told that engineers dont work on Sundays, after waiting in on him, so another appointment was made for monday between 8am and 1pm.
  • Monday - Finally the engineer arrived, at 5:30pm luckily I was only a couple of minutes away and a friend phoned me to let me know he was there.  The engineer came in and checked all the lines and equipment and decided that my home hub was broken, he informed me this should have been picked up on the line test.  I phoned bt and let them know the outcome of the engineers visit.  However nothing could be done as the engineers report had not made it to the system, I was told to phone back tomorrow at 12.
  • Tuesday - I phoned bt, thinking my ordeal with no internet would finally be over (nope), I was informed that the engineers report could not be found and that they would email them and sort it out.
  • Wednesday - I phoned bt and got (at last) a very helpfull welsh lady, this lady phoned openreach got the engineers report and filed everything into one handy email for the supervisor to phone me back, she also explained that I would be due compensation for the time I had been without internet, and the times I had waited for an engineer that didnt arrive and for the times I was told bt would phone me back,  at the end of our conversation she informed me that the supervisor was in a meeting and would call me tomorrow.
  • Thursday - I waited patiently for a phone call that never came, guees what? When I phoned bt the supervisor was in a meeting and he would call me tomorrow before 1pm.
  • Friday - It is now 2:25 and still no supervisor, I have called and you guessed it the supervisor is in a meeting, this time I have been assured he will call me back before 3:15, I have no doubt that at 3:20 I will be on the phone to bt again.

Please someone from bt phone and sort this mess out, I have left out various other phone calls I have made in which I have been lied to.  This is no way to treat your customers.

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: BROKEN ROUTER

Do you have dial tone on your phone, and is your phone number correct?

Dial 1470 17070 and listen to the announcement.

0 Ratings
jimlauren1821
Beginner
Message 3 of 19

Yes I have a dial tone, and my phone number is correct.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 19

Which BT Home hub do you have?

Which one of these matches your phone socket?

nte.jpg or oldnte.jpgor adslface.jpg or  newnte.jpg

0 Ratings
jimlauren1821
Beginner
Message 5 of 19

I have a home hub 5A, and the last one
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 19

Its possible the NTE has gone faulty as they are not very reliable,

Have you removed the bottom section and tried plugging the home hub into the test socket, using a microfilter?

To prove it fully, you need to totally remove the Openreach faceplate, to reveal the test socket behind.

Then connect things up like this.

infinity_test.jpg

0 Ratings
jimlauren1821
Beginner
Message 7 of 19

No I have not, after reconnecting the old router, it will work after being reset long as I do not use any of the ethernet ports. when I connect anything top the ethernet port the internet cuts out to everything including no wifi.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 19

So its a LAN side issue.

What are you plugging into the Ethernet ports, are any of them powerline adapters.

Have you tried a factory reset of the home hub?

Ethernet ports are optically isolated, so whatever is crashing the home hub, is data related.

0 Ratings
jimlauren1821
Beginner
Message 9 of 19

yes I have factory reset the hub, I have my pc, a rasperry pi 3, and a tronsmart android box connected.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 19

Try one device at a time, and see which one causes the home hub to crash. Do not connect more than one of them.

0 Ratings