cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

BT Access Control - Controls access to what?

What does BT Access Control actually control access to?

It seems that the kids can still log in to our hub after setting restricted hours.

If BT Access Control only restricts access to the internet, is there any other way of setting up regular times when they can't get on to the hub?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Access Control - Controls access to what?

The BT access control is not very good because it can be over ridden by carrying out a factory reset of the Homehub which I'm sure most tech savvy children will know.

See link for info about it.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11364/~/what-is-bt-access-control-and-how-do-i-set-it...

If you use the BT Network parental controls you can block various web sites and control the time that the sites are accessible. ie block them during homework time / bedtime till morning.

These controls can not be turned off or on via a Homehub reset. They can only be controlled from the account holders MyBT which is password protected.

The down side is that the block is not device specific so everybody using the homehub is blocked from using the sites during the blocked times.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Not sure I understand your point about a re-start.

I've read the help screen and that wasn't crystal clear either.

The help screen says that a device becomes barred from accessing the internet when the start time is reached. Does this mean that if you re-start all devices on the list become active again until the next re-start time? Or what? 

Surely the control should restrict access between the hours set.

What happens if you first turn a device on after the start of its control period?

(Reason for wanting to set time restrictions up is to get our kids to go to sleep! Don't want to turn off wireless)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

The control will prevent any device you set up to be barred from accessing the Internet between the times you set.

My point is that doing this is about as much use as a chocolate fire guard as it can be easily overcome if your children are at all tech savy . They will no doubt be aware of the following and if not it won't take them long to find out how to do it. 

If you set up the access control to stop your children's devices accessing the Internet between certain times, it can be overcome by doing a factory reset of the homehub.

This is done by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear. This bypasses any passwords you may have set up to prevent anybody accessing the homehub management pages where you turn on or off the access controls. 

This will completely wipe any access controls that you had set up. This would allow full access to the Internet until you have re-entered them.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

if they didnt know hoiw to over ride it they do now if they look on this site for help lol 😛

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

If they are smart enough to look on here they are smart enough to know how to do it already. Ask any child over 10/12 year old how to overcome parental controls, other than network controlled ones and I'll bet the majority will know how. I'll bet some will even know how to overcome network control ones. Just check out youtube. 

0 Ratings