Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cyberbid
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

BT Access Control Nightmare please help

Go to solution
Hello, I have an issue with the BT Access Control within the smart hub settings. I am now on my second router.
What happens is, I select my sons iphone in the menu, set the start time of his restricted access, then the time the restriction ends. I always ensure he has a fixed ip address and i then press the green plus icon to add his device and its new rules to the bottom of that menu. It then prompts you to save it, which I do. Then I log out of the router, log back in and all settings are saved 100%. Sadly after this he can continue using the internet. I also factory reset the first home hub and only connected my sons iphone, so I was 100% sure I was blocking the correct device. Sadly all for nothing as it still isnt working. After a very frustrating week on the phone to BT I now have a new smart hub, only to find out that its still not working!!!!! Has ANYBODY got ANY INFO on how I can resolve this?! BT help centre on the phone were mostly clueless about Access Control. Some were even confusing it with Parental Controls. Anyway im at my wits end here! Please if anybody has any knowledge on how to fix this I would be eternally grateful!
Thanks 😉
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: BT Access Control Nightmare please help

Go to solution

The hubs are apparently unable to terminate a 'live' connection.  They do seem to be able to stop a new connection after the cut-off time though.  The solution would be to invest in a proper router. 

I use a third party router and it will terminate a running connection, wired and wireless, as well as prevent a new one once the cut-off time is reached.

Cyberbid
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution
So Liam, when you say live, do you mean, if my son is already on say, youtube for instance, then I attempt to cut him off when hes already watching a video, it wont work right?
But hopefully as I understand it, this means if he comes home from being out during the blocked time it will stop him?
0 Ratings
Cyberbid
Beginner
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution
Oh also, if his console works on the same basis, do I wipe the wifi and reconnect and apply to refresh it with the changes?
0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

Yes.  If the device is connected to as you say youtube or anywhere else the when the time comes nothing will happen.  But if for example you set the cut-off for 9PM and he tries to connect after that time then the hub should prevent the device connecting.

Theoretically it should make no difference what the device is, it should be prevented from making a new connection.

How well the hubs actually do this, not allowing a new connection,  I personally can't say as I never use them.

If your time settings are correct for all devices you want to restrict you should not have to re-enter them.  Just remember to Save any changes before leaving the page on the hub.

Cyberbid
Beginner
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution
I will see how it goes this week with what you have told me. Thanks for stopping by, appreciated
0 Ratings
dgw1
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Other things you can do are disable ipv6 on his phone and manually assign the same ip address on his phone as the router. In addition to this enter the phone's MAC address into the restricted settings too. In my opinion it shouldn't matter if he is connected or not. When the restriction kicks in it should kick him off. That is after all the whole point of it....

0 Ratings
Cyberbid
Beginner
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution
dgw1 - Yes exactly! This was, and really still is what im after ultimatly
0 Ratings
dgw1
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Have you tried what I suggested? In my opinion it could well be a ipv6 issue. Therefore simply disabling ipv6 on his phone could make all the difference. You mentioned assigning a single ipv4 address via the router, but to make doubly sure assign the same ip address actually on his phone, and like I said tieing it to his phone's MAC address should be the cherry on the top so to speak, making doubly certain. Let us know how you get on 🙂

0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

IPv6 should make no difference if your router works properly.  It should use the device ID to differentiate between devices connected to it.  As shown below it should have all the details necessary IE: Name, IPv4 and IPv6 address(s) assigned as well as the MAC address.  So IPv6 or IPv4 will make no difference.  To a proper router

device details.png

0 Ratings