cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sarich100
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

BT Anywhere Mobile Phone add-on

Hi. I've been looking for the best mobile provider, for low usage, that will work well at my home which is in a poor mobile reception area.

Although it is difficult to find out much more about this BT service, I understand that the BT offering uses broadband connectivity while at home, then hooks up to the Vodafone network when out and about? And the BT website offers BT Broadband Anwhere customers the HTC Desire android handset for c. £100 plus £10 per month contract that seems a reasonable deal

Does anyone have any experiences of this service,  good or bad, to share?

Thanks for any help.

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Anywhere Mobile Phone add-on

Yes, here it is.  You will need to hook it up to BB talk manually by downloading the sipdroid app., which is very easy.  If you buy it, come back here and I will post the link that will tell you how to do it.  Desire is a very good phone,

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=25793

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

sarich100
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Allan, thanks.

Is the functionality as I described: i.e. a mobile phone solution that uses BB hub at home, and Vodafone elsewhere? If so, for someone that cannot get a decent mobile signal at home, it seems almost too good to be true and I wonder why BT does not promote it.

You work for BT right? Is there a dedicated BT ciustomer care contact for the mobile phone service, because when I've tried to talk to someone at BT about it, no-one seems to know much.

Thanks!        

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

The phone uses a BT SIM which is on the back of voda.
Using the sipdroid app., it uses bb talk (VOIP) via your hub. You will have to set this functionality yourself but its easy, we can advise here how to do it.

I'm a BT customer, like the other posters here, and don't work for BT.

Try giving customer options a ring on 0800 7832326 for starters.

Hope that helps 🙂
AQ.

Message 5 of 7

Technical mobile helpdesk on 0800 3281919

Edit:-

Broadband Talk can be extended to a BT issued HTC 620 or 710 handset using the BT software (VOIP) on the handset.

It can be added on manually onto a phone using the android o/s by following the instructions from the link below which is from this forum.

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Out-About/any-news-on-voip-for-touch2-hero/m-p/12877#M1192

The Sipdroid app. can be downloaded from the android market on your handset.

The Hero and Desire which BT issue only has the manufacturers o/s on them, so an android phone from another operator should work equally well.  Opting into BT Fon gives a BT BB customer unlimited (actually 10K minutes pcm) useage of BT openzone / Fon.

A read of the thread on the above link will show that some users have an issue of connectivity 'timing out'; although I havent had that myself - yet.

(As far as we know to date, no-one has found a way of utilising BT VOIP for devices using the windows o/s).

AQ.

Message 6 of 7

bump:  link to thread on VOIP for android now included.

AQ.

Highlighted
rht2509
Message 7 of 7

I bought my wife the htc wildfire pay as you go on vodafone from argos for just £120, which included the £10 top up.

Inserted the bt sim card and it worked ok as BT sim uses vodafone network.

It was easy enough to connect to the home hub, but the mobile settings had to be manually set up as per below.

It's also worth mentioning that the htc wildfire also took t-mobile and tesco sim cards without needing unlocked, although I've not tried O2  sim card yet.

Also, remember to ask for the 500mb usage - it costs £5.00 per month so you won't be charged data usage costs when you're out and about.

BT Handset Settings for internet access via mobile network.

Home>Menu>Settings>Wireless controls>mobile network settings>access point names;

Follow the steps below if you don't have any BT ones there.

Menu>New APN

Name>bt internet

APN> btmobile.bt.com

Proxy> not set

Port> not set

Username>bt

Password> bt

Server> not set

MMSC> not set

All remaining ones are "Not Set"

Don't forget to "Save" with Menu>Save

If you wish to use MMS you need to set up another separate APN