cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sclasec
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

BT Auto Backup/Digital Vault

I have just installed a new computer and used Digital Vault to download all my files, etc stored in Digital Vault.

All the document files are OK, but there is a problem with Outlook (.pst) files.  It seems to be something to do with the different "routes" used by Windows XP and Windows 7 to locate the files within the system.

I think that I shall have to delete all my stuff from DV and then uninstall it.  If I then re-install, I am assuming that when I ask Auto Backup to collect and save all my stuff afresh, it will find the correct "route" to back up the .pst material.

I should be grateful if someone could tell me that my suggestion is the right one, or if I should try something else.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Auto Backup/Digital Vault

The folder is hidden, unhide it in Control Panel>Folder Options>View Hidden Files

and then look for this folder:

C:\Users\[USER_NAME]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

PST files are located there.

You will have to manually select them in DV, once they are unhidden.

There is no need to uninstall DV, just change the file selection.

0 Ratings
sclasec
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Thanks.  I have done that and found the folder, as you say.  The problem is that I now have TWO outlook folders within my PC.  The other is located in

C:\Users|[USERNAME]\My Documents\Outlook Files

This shows up as an outlook data file of 647KB and it is clearly where Outlook messages, etc are going because it is continuaously increasing in size.

I'm flummoxed!

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

@sclasec wrote:

Thanks.  I have done that and found the folder, as you say.  The problem is that I now have TWO outlook folders within my PC.  The other is located in

C:\Users|[USERNAME]\My Documents\Outlook Files

This shows up as an outlook data file of 647KB and it is clearly where Outlook messages, etc are going because it is continuaously increasing in size.

I'm flummoxed!

Which is why I use the free e-mail client Thunderbird. Everything is stored in a user profile folder.

Very easy to backup using DV.

I would backup the one which changes.

0 Ratings
sclasec
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

I will try it and see what happens.  I'll report back in due course.

0 Ratings
sclasec
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Sorry for the delay in coming back on this.  The problem seems to be that Windows 7 uses a path to Outlook files that Auto Backup will not recognise.  The files are all in C\users\username\My Documents\Outlook files.  Autobackup, however, goes down the C\Users\username\appdata\microsoft\outlook route.  Since this contains things such as "mapisvc.inf", which I obviously cannot delete, there seems no way to "tell" Autobackup that the files are elsewhere.

I am sure that I am missing something simple - but what is it?

0 Ratings