cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
dml
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 14

BT Broadband Desktop Help Update ~ a problem.

Go to solution

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post my question, but here goes:

In the past few days the following has occurred and I am finding it irritating, so I am hoping you can give me advice as to a cure.

I switch on my PC and a pop-up window appears, captioned BT Broadband Desktop Help Update, advising me there is an update available. I click OK and it downloads / installs the update. Finally the window advises the BT Broadband Desktop Help has been successfully updated and I click the Finish button.

However, the next time I switch on my PC I am once again advised it needs updating and I go through the whole routine again.

Question: how do I stop this happening?

BTW I do not want to uninstall the software as, in the past, it has been very helpful.
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: BT Broadband Desktop Help Update ~ a problem.

Go to solution

You are in the right place, but I don`t remember anyone else with this problem.

There are quite a few threads about it, so it may be worth looking here. Forum Search

0 Ratings
Cryin5freeman
Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

First check the option or preference in the desktop help. Undo the check update option.

Second, press start and click on run.. type msconfig.. uncheck the desktop help app...

Try that.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

There's a simple fix.  Un-install Desktop Help, then don't re-install it again.

It isn't needed to get on line, and people keep posting on these forums after having problems with it.

0 Ratings
dml
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks for your advicice, it's much appreciated.

Bye

DML

0 Ratings
DarrenB
Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

Did you get this resolved?

To just check the update was successful, can you confirm what version of Desktop Help you are using?

To do this right click the Desktop Help Icon in the systray and select "Service Tag".

Bottom left in grey will be the version number. Should be 12.08.01.01C, if it's not then that might be why it thinks it needs to update everytime.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution
as you will see this post is marked as solved the answer has a green mark against it
0 Ratings
DarrenB
Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

I can see that, however the solution that was marked would stop the entire BT Desktop Help app from launching on startup, so not really addressing the OP's issue.

I was trying to get more info to be able to provide assistance to resolve the upgrade issue.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution
many regular posters here recommend not using it as it can cause more problems than t solve on many occasion
0 Ratings
dml
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

Thank you for your continued interest in this matter. 

Current situation:  whem I switch on the PC I no longer get the pop-up window reminding me to update the s/w.  However, if I run the s/w the IE page tells me I need to update, which I do but it still tells me to perform an update.

Thus I decided to uninstall the package (followed by a re-instal) and now find I can't carry this out using Add/Remove programs as it starts to remove and then freezes.

I am therefore going to make a fresh posting asking for an alternate method of uninstallation ~ I have carried out a Forum search but found nothing of any relevance. 

0 Ratings