cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mathieuf
Message 1 of 36

BT Broadband Desktop Help not launching

I just installed BT Broadband Desktop Help on my new PC (running on Windows 7). But when I double-click on the desktop icon, nothing happens. I went to check the Windows Task Manager: when i launch BT Broadband Desktop Help (either from Desktop icon or directly from programs list), BTHelpBrowser.exe shows up in the Task Manager Processes for 2 / 3 seconds, but then disappears, and nothing else happens.

It was working fine on my old PC (Windows XP). Does someone know how I can get the BT Broadband Desktop Help to run? Thxs

0 Ratings
35 REPLIES 35
Moderator-Retired
Message 2 of 36

Re: BT Broadband Desktop Help not launching

Hi mathieuf,

There are couple of things to watch out for:

Notes:

• To install BT Broadband Desktop Help, you must have administrator privileges for your computer.
  • If you have more than one user on a single PC, any existing or new user accounts must also have administrator privileges for BT Broadband Desktop Help to work effectively
  • If your browser security settings are set to 'high', this may stop the download from starting. To overcome this set the browser security settings to 'medium' before you download the software, then switch back to 'high' when you've finished installing it.

Let me know if these apply or not and I'll take it from there.

Cheers

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
mathieuf
Message 3 of 36

Thank you Craig for your reply.

I have admin rights and I'm able to download / install the software (no issue with security settings).

It is just that when I try to launch the installed program (i.e. from Programs >  BT Broadband Desktop Help > BT Broadband Desktop Help, or directly through the desktop shortcut), the program does not start.

As i previously wrote, when the program is launched, BTHelpBrowser.exe shows up in the list of program running (in Task Manager) for 2 / 3 seconds, but then disappears, and nothing else happens. Something seems to turn it off automatically for some odd reason...

Thanks for your help!

0 Ratings
MikeFlint
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 36

Have you looked for application errors in Windows event viewer? It sounds like the app is exiting probably due to an error.

Also, is there some specific reason you are trying to run the Help application? I've never found it of much use.
0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 5 of 36

Hi Mathieuf,

What version of Desk Top Help do you have?

If you’re not quite sure, the best thing to do is remove what you have at the moment with the following instructions:

1. First make sure old Desktop Help is uninstalled (start All Programs->BT Broadband Desktop Help->Uninstall)…check add/remove programs too for any sign.

2. In task manager if you see the following – remove it:

a) BTHelpNotifier.exe

b) McciTrayApp.exe

c) McciServiceHost.exe

3. If you see McciCMService.exe please stop it in services (control Panel ->Administrative Tools->Services)

4. In registry delete the following hives (to start regedit do  Start->Run->Regedit😞 

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Motive

- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Motive

Restart the PC

You can then download the latest version of Desktop Help and install it from here

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks,

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
mathieuf
Message 6 of 36

Thank you Craig. Did exactly what you said (uninstall program + clean up registry + restart + reinstall program from your link, which btw was same as I used last week when I first installed it).

but to no avail - still it does not launch...

Any other idea would be super helpful? Thxs 

0 Ratings
mathieuf
Message 7 of 36

found it helpful on my old pc in some instances when internet connection is lost

don't see anything suspicious in the windows error log, but i'm no expert there

0 Ratings
MS_User
Beginner
Message 8 of 36

Hi - I am having the same problem. New Windows 7 PC etc. Have download desktop help and its not launching. Put a call into Tech Support who called to say that BT Broadband Desktop Help does not run under windows 7 64 bit operating system. No timescale for when it would be available!! Seems there are a number of things that do not operate in the new Windows 7 64 bit operating system. Beware!!

0 Ratings
OldGold
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 36

There are many of us on here who have had BT Broadband for quite some time, we have for a long have advised that the BT software is not used as it causes more problems than its worth, it is not needed for Vista or W7, as well as XP.

This was advised many, many times on the old Forum, alas no longer to be seen.

Ray.

0 Ratings
IanLoughlin
Contributor
Message 10 of 36

Re: BT Broadband Desktop Help and W7 64-bit

Could someone from BT please advise when BB Desktop Help will be supported under Windows 7 64-bit?

People buy the 64-bit version for performance reasons. BB Desktop Help is suppposed to help to optimise performance. It therefore seems inconsistent to not have it supported under the 64-bit version.

0 Ratings