cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jitsie
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

BT Broadband - Direct Debit Increase!!!!

Hi

I just checked my broadband bill and noticed that BT are going to increase my direct debits each month from £25 to £33.50. Now I'm not sure why the increase comes about, i guess only for BT to rake in the interest for over charging the customers i guess.  

Anyhow upon viewing my bill i was in credit from the last quarter, so when the new bill came in, it shows a debit balance of £57.58, but that debit balance is made up of future billings, i.e. from June to September, so if i do the maths based on my DD, should equate to £75, which will mean that i will have a credit balance, but only for BT to slap a debit balance due to there future billing.

So the question is why the increases necessary, considering, that up to September when my payments are made on the original amount would equate to £75, hence credit which means, BT making interest again for.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Moderator-Retired
Message 2 of 16

Re: BT Broadband - Direct Debit Increase!!!!

Hi jitsie,

Hard to be sure of whats happened here without getting a good look into your bills for myself, but I'll get to the bottom of the changes.

Could you drop me an email to forum.moderation.team@bt.com

Just send your BT account number and telephone number with a link back to this thread and I'll see whats up.

Cheers

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
jitsie
Beginner
Message 3 of 16

Hi Craig

Thanks for your response, i have emailed you the details and included the thread as requested.

Thanks once again

Jitsie

0 Ratings
jitsie
Beginner
Message 4 of 16

Hi Craig

just viewed my account, and for some reason, the account has changed from Direct Debit to Monthly Payment Plan. since Jan 2010.

Now i was never contacted by BT and asked whether i wanted to change my payment method/plan, this is just shocking.........next thing i will probably find is that they have signed me up for a further 12months...... somewhere down the line.

Not happy at all with the crafty, sneaky folks at BT at the moment.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

Hi jutsie, have got same problem how can one be in credit then with next bill be in debit. Can you get this sorted out NO. Wish i could go back and see how much BT have ripped me off over the years. Can not wait to see replys. There must be hundreds of people in the same boat.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

Hi Jitsie,

I’ve picked up your email and dropped you a reply.

@ragingredhead

If you’re having problems with your payments or bills drop me an email to forum.moderation.team@bt.com with your account details and a link to this post for reference.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
jitsie
Beginner
Message 7 of 16

Hi David

i received your email, and there is still one question not answered.  When i looked at my method of payment, i was changed from Direct Debit to Monthly Direct Debit, without any anyone one from BT asking me!!!!  This is not on at all, kindly answer this question?

Also, you say i am in debit, well, if you wish to charge someone for the future, then obviously your going to be in Debt.  Further more, when you advertise such products,  at least have the common decency to have not in small print but normal font, that you will always be in debt as we charge you for future usage.  Therefore the price of £25pm is not correct, but could be anything above that.

Looking forward to hearing your answer?

jitsie

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

Hi Jitsie

I'm sorry there are two methods of direct debit that we offer, Whole Bill Direct Debit (bills get produced either monthly or quarterly and you pay full amount of the bill ten days after the bill date) or Monthly Payment Plan (an agreed amount each month on a day of your choosing with bills generated on a Quarterly basis).

It was our understanding looking at your account that you were on the Monthly Payment Plan for the amount of £25 per month. This was then proposed to be increased to £33.50 the idea behind this was to change you from receiving statements that had a debit balance to being in a position of paying your bills in advance. With the Monthly Payment Plan you are not so much receiving a bill as receiving a statement that advises you of the status of your account. The concept being you do not have to worry about your bills coming each quarter as your payments each month manage your account.

In the example of your account say if you had a debit balance the system tries to give you a new Direct Debit of say £33 pounds to clear this balance over a period of time. Once the balance is clear and your statement shows no outstanding balance it then tries to recalculate a more sensible amount in your case £24 or £25 as you have no unexpected call charges to worry about as its just for Broadband and no increases in future to your agreed amount.

I can only apologise that the direct debit methods were not explained in more detail previously.

Cheers

Stuart

0 Ratings
Mtech
Message 9 of 16

@StuartH wrote:

In the example of your account say if you had a debit balance the system tries to give you a new Direct Debit of say £33 pounds to clear this balance over a period of time. Once the balance is clear and your statement shows no outstanding balance it then tries to recalculate a more sensible amount in your case £24 or £25 as you have no unexpected call charges to worry about as its just for Broadband and no increases in future to your agreed amount.

So how come I ended up £217.00 in credit?

@I complained profusely and got a refund eventually for £148.00. I was paying out in two separate DD’s @ £60 a Month for something that was supposed to be £36 per month all in, excluding chargeable calls.

Now my bill has finally been combined, and an up front payment taken putting me in debt to the tune of £86.00 and BT want to up my DD to £72 per Month.

I've never been billed by DD for a stated amount, i.e £36 a month.

I can’t wait for my contract to be up, I’m sick to death of this constant muddle.

0 Ratings
dawnb
Message 10 of 16

Hi. I only joined BT in February after a phone call from them saying they could do me a good deal. I stupidly signed up and was being charged £27 pr month for broadband, line rental and evenng and weekend calls. I get my bill in May and it's increased to £47 per month. How can they justify this? My calls only came to 28p!! Does anyone know why this can happen?

Can't wait until the end of my contract.

Any advice greatly appreciated

0 Ratings