Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Misterjmorgan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 26

BT Broadband/HomeHub 3 connection speeds

Hi,

I've been having troubles with my BT Broadband connection for.. well, almost as long as I've been a customer, really. Recently, the service I'm receiving simply is NOT good enough.

Recently, I was stuck with download speeds of under 50 kilobytes per second for a few weeks.  Last Wednesday, a BT Engineer was sent out to my house, and informed me that my newly-delivered BT HomeHub 3 was faulty, and it was also mentioned it had the out of date v3 firmware.  A new HomeHub 3 was given to me, with v4 firmware, and as soon as it was connected I regained my satisfactory ~550 kilobytes per second connection speed. 

That lasted for the length of Wednesday, from around 3pm. At 550-600 kilobytes per second, I can stream 1080p videos on YouTube with zero buffering - a massive part of my internet usage, I might add.

Thursday, my connection had falling by around a third, sitting at around 380 kilobytes per second.  I can stream 720p YouTube videos with about 10 seconds of buffering.

Friday, it had fallen further, sitting at around 200 kilobytes per second.  720p works with about a minute of buffering, 480p streams instantaneously.

Saturday, today, it's fallen further still.  I'm now back down to a 160 kilobyte per second connection speed.  Don't even dream of any HD videos on YouTube, 480p needs a few minutes of buffering before I can play a 10-20 minute video.

I'm absolutely SICK of wasting my time calling your call centre, to just have them tell me that there IS a problem on the line, you WILL investigate it and monitor the line over time, and then having a next-day call back simply telling me there isn't actually a problem, and that 170 kilobytes per second is an acceptable speed for my predicted connection speed.  My line is very obviously capable of a 600 kilobyte per second download speed - so why on earth should I settle for anything less?

I don't understand how this happens.  An engineer turns up and completely solves the problem by simply connecting new hardware. I have no luck telling your engineer that I'm positive the fix won't last long because, I guess, that's not their problem.  Whether it's a temporary or a permanent fix - it works when he tests it, and that's all he cares about.

Please, I'm close to begging - can someone just run a THOROUGH test and tell me where this perpetual, recurring problem lies?  We can go through a couple of brand new HomeHub 3 routers every week at this rate, and that makes neither me or BT happy.

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 26

Re: BT Broadband/HomeHub 3 connection speeds

Welcome to this customer to customer forum. Your message does not go to BT

To enable forum members to help you, could you look at  ADSL Speed and Connection Issues which asks you to do a few checks first, and has some helpful hints.

When you have done that, please follow the instructions at the end of that section, and post the results here, so members can offer advice. Thank you.

0 Ratings
Misterjmorgan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 26

Here's some screen shots of the BT Speed Test.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 26

could you please also post your hub stats as shown in Keith's link
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 26

from you estimate you are expecting a 3mb connection speed and according to BTspeedtester you have a 3.78mb connections speed.  the problem is your profile is lower than it should be probably due to a previous drop in connection where the conenction speed was about 2mb.  now your connection speed has increased your profile will increase automatically provided you maintain a stable connection 24/7 for 3.5 days maybe even sooner

posting your router stats will help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Misterjmorgan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 26

Thanks for the quick responses guys 🙂

I was under the impression this forum was moderated by BT employees?  Nevertheless, I'm very grateful for you guys taking the time to help.

About the connection time - my HomeHub connection still occasionally drops, and the connection only being around an hour is an example of that.  Could connection drops be another sign that there's a physical fault somewhere?  Maybe faulty, intermittent wiring?

Here's the requested details:

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 26

are you connected to the test socket?  do you have extension sockets

with your attenuationn and a good connection I would expect a connection of about 6.5/7mb

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 26

This is a customer to customer self help forum moderated by BT
The mods are normally only involved if the problems cannot be resolved by community members
0 Ratings
Misterjmorgan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 26

This is another irregularity - I'm connected to the one single socket I have for this line (it's a dedicated line from waaaay back in the dial-up age), but the one socket here is not a master socket.  I've been told that's not really a problem, though.. Just an inconvenience when it comes to reliably testing the line.

I would expect at least a 6mb connection, and as I said I have had that as recently as Wednesday, so I know the potential is there, which just makes this all the more frustrating!  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 26

if you only have the one socket that is the master but not the new style NTE5 with detachable bottom half.  have you checked your socket to see if the bellwire is connected to terminal 3 and if so remove it.  only need connection on terminals 2 & 5 

bellwire removal

0 Ratings