cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 26

Re: BT Broadband/HomeHub 3 connection speeds

In response to your post about bellwire, instead of having what looks like 4 connections, mine has 2 sets of 3, labelled as follows:

1    6
2    5
3    4 

Wires are connected to 2 and 5.   I'm also using a filter, and the connection is exactly the same as the one pictures in that link.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 26

there should only be 2 wires connected one on terminal 2 & 5 - none of the others are needed.

I would leave connection stable and profile should rise in 3/5 days stable connection maybe even sooner.  when profile is correct for speed if your noise margin is still above the norm of 6db then I would contact the mods and get it reset to 6db which will increase your connection speed

contact mods

can take up to 3 working days for mods to contact you

but profile first

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 26

Thanks a lot!  I'll keep an eye on my router stats and make sure it's not disconnecting overnight or anything, then pop back in the thread on Tuesday.

Thanks again 🙂 

EDIT: Just one more question, though - is there any explination as to why an engineer just plugged in a new router and my connection spead was up to regular levels instantaneously?  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 26

possibly a fault with your old router
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 26

the real question is why did the speed fall so quickly after connecting the new router - hopefully your line will remain connected so profile will rise and then move on to getting noise margin reset

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 26

Yeah that's what I mean - it didn't need to go through this profiling on Wednesday, none of this 3 days of connection thing.  Why that's now an issue is what's confusing me.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 26

the drops in connection after the engineer visit resulted in a lower connection speed which changes your profile almost instantly but once your speed recovers like yours has then it takes 3/5 days connection time to show a stable connection before the automatic system increases your profile to match your connection speed

thankfully the new profiling system chnages immediately your speed changes whether up or down

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 26

all you can do is wait and try and ensure no manual restarts
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 26

Connection is back down to 48.9kB/s, according to speedtest.net.  79ms ping and 51.0kB/s upload. It's worth mentioning that the upload speed never changes. Regardless of how good or bad my throughput is, upload is pretty much always around 50kB/s.

So I can see that my problem may lie in my router dropping connection frequently. Just home from work, and upon checking the HomeHub manager I can see it's only been connected for 5hr50m, meaning it disconnected around mid-day.  I asked my housemates who have been in all day, and they confirmed there were no power cuts or any other dips in power that they noticed.

There had also been a disconnection at around 8am yesterday morning.

Is there any way to see if this is down to the power supply or the actual internet connection, or is it a toss-up between both?  Surely it can't be another faulty router?  The router is plugged into an extension lead, and the only other thing plugged in is my TV.  I've never had my TV automatically power cycle itself, though both the instences of disconnections i mentioned, the TV was not in use.

Here's a new screenshot of my router stats:

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 26

hi the disconnections have increased your noise margin reducing your connection speed are you still connected to the test socket ?also have you tried the quiet line test 17070option 2 no noise should be heard until you can get a stable connection there is no point in getting the noise margin reset
0 Ratings