cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GuiltyCol
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

BT Broadband IP address blacklisted = Bounced Email

Hi, what's the solution to having my BT Broadband IP address blacklisted which results in emails bouncing?

Having my emails bounce back due to a blacklisted IP address is a perenial problem I've had for years. Until now I've always blamed my domain name host, as of course emails go though their SMTP server, so it' must be their SMTP server IP address that's blacklisted, right?

Wrong. I wasn't aware but all emails sent from a local client like Outlook, includes in the header the IP address of your BT Broadband connection. Try it, send an email to yourself and check the header, you'll see your own IP address in the "Received: from" part of the header. E.g.:

Received: from host86-189-131-63.range86-189.btcentralplus.com ([86.189.131.63]:55720 helo=PCName)

As I got another bounce this morning, I checked my hosts' SMTP server IP address, and it was not blacklisted. But when I checked my dynamically assigned BT Broadband IP address, it was blacklisted.  See here:

https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=blacklist%3a86.189.131.63&run=toolpage

I happen to have a record of my last 10 dynamically assigned BT Broadband IP addresses so I checked them all. All but 1 is currently blacklisted!

One solution is to use webmail, as that doesn't include my ISP's IP address, but that's a clunky solution that I can't cope with beyond using it for the odd email.  Here's what that line above is replaced with when I send a webmail:

Received: from [::1] (port=48335 helo=webmail.MyDomain.com)

Given that BT provided IP addresses are, in my small sample, 90% blacklisted, and switching to Business Broadband to get the costly option of a static (and hopefully clean) IP, is prohobitively expensive, what's the solution clever people?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Broadband IP address blacklisted = Bounced Email

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Virtually all ISP IP ranges are blacklisted on all blacklisting systems. That is deliberate to help prevent spam by trojans installing smtp services on computers and using direct smtp connections from that computer.

Thus most people will be using their ISP smarthost mail server.

In the case of using a host for a personal domain (which I do too), it is up to the domain host to configure their systems correctly, which includes fixing the headers to prevent the issue you're seeing.

The fault lies with them.

Business static IP address ranges are too almost certainly blacklisted.

GuiltyCol
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Thanks Andy. I contacted my domain host and they said that including the sender's own IP address was standard practice and they weren't prepared to drop that. 

Interesting what you say about business static IPs being blacklisted too, why do you think that?

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

@GuiltyCol wrote:

Thanks Andy. I contacted my domain host and they said that including the sender's own IP address was standard practice and they weren't prepared to drop that. 

Interesting what you say about business static IPs being blacklisted too, why do you think that?

Hi again.

It actually sounds like your host might not be doing it correctly. My host does the same, but I've not specifically seen emails rejected due to "blacklisting".

As for Static IP addresses - they're not necessarily any different in this regard. Quite a few ISPs give their users static IP addresses as standard. Having a static IP address doesn't mean the end user is any less susceptible to having a malware infection and be part of a spam botnet.

0 Ratings
pogosi
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

A simple test - I suppose - shows that it's a BT IP address issue. Using the same mail client on iPhone via BT wifi appears as spam/is rejected, whereas the same mail client via Vodafone 3G does not, and the mail is accepted by Google and other email hosts. In both cases the mail client is hitting a Fasthosts smtp server (livemail.co.uk)
0 Ratings