cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
graeme2507
Contributor
Message 1 of 20

BT Broadband Problems - Connection Dropping - is it acceptable?

For some 5+ months now I've had problems with my broadband connection dropping out.  It can be once a week, once a day, 2 or 3 times a day - or more.  I've even had periods where the connection has been stable for 10 or more days but this is rare!!

Today I ended up speaking to BT complaints team and they indicated that dropouts of 2 or 3 times a day are deemed acceptable and as such there's nothing they can do.  I find this a bit unacceptable - especially as just over a week ago the connection was up and down every couple of minutes over a period of a few days (i.e. hundreds of times a day).

The complaints team also said that, because I'm on a relatively slow connection, having about 5 devices connected at a time could impact on the connection stability and that I should disconnect the devices when they aren't being used because they're probably 'doing something in the background that I don't know about'.  If it was 50 devices I could see their point - but not 5, especially when most of these aren't actually doing anything - not browsing, not uploading data etc!

I do appreciate that phones and other devices do upload data for iCloud backups etc. but I wouldn't expect this to drop the line - make it slower, yes, but not cause it to drop.  In fact, in the past, I have uploaded a lot of data - successfully without any drop outs - but this hasn't been something I been doing recently.

I have the problems whether I'm connected via Ethernet or wirelessly.  One particular device will not reconnect when it drops the connection and this is a pain.

Am I wrong to expect the connection to be up more than it currently is?  If it was regularly 10 days without a drop I'd be pretty happy.

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Grimerbob
Beginner
Message 2 of 20

Re: BT Broadband Problems - Connection Dropping - is it acceptable?

Is your Hub connected to the test socket (the socket behind the front plate of your master socket)? If not, please try connecting the Hub to it, and see if the drop outs stop. If they do, then the problem is due to your internal wiring.

Can you post line stats? If using HH5, go to http://192.168.1.254 - Troubleshooting - Helpdesk, or if using HH6 go to http://192.168.1.254 - Advanced settings - Technical log.

Can you complete a quiet line test (also in the test socket)? Dial 17070 and select option 2, the line should be quiet between the announcements (other than a dull hum if using a cordless phone).
0 Ratings
graeme2507
Contributor
Message 3 of 20

Hi - thanks for responding.

The Hub (it's a BT Smart Hub 6) is connected to the test socket with a filter.  It's been like that for a while - it makes no difference regarding the drop outs.

The line stats are as follows:

Product name: BT Hub 6A
Serial number: +084319+NQ62783618
Firmware version: SG4B1000B522
Firmware updated: 15-Jan-2018
Board version: 1.0
Gui version: 1.64.0
DSL uptime: 0 Days, 12 Hours 29 Minutes 19 Seconds
Data rate: 1.09 Mbps / 7.20 Mbps
Maximum data rate: 1095 / 7408
Noise margin: 8.8 dB / 6.4 dB
Line attenuation: 44 dB
Signal attenuation: 25.6 dB / 44 dB
VPI / VCI: 0/38
Modulation: G_992_5_ANNEX_A
Latency type: Fast Path
Data sent / received: 266496 MB Uploaded / 263156 MB Downloaded
Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
BT Wi-fi: Active
2.4 GHz wireless network name: BTHub6-XXXX
2.4 GHz wireless channel: Smart (Channel 1)
5 GHz wireless network name: BTHub6-XXXX
5 GHz wireless channel: Smart (Channel 36)
Wireless security: WPA2 (Recommended)
Wireless mode: Mode 1
Firewall: On
MAC address: 40:C7:29:0D:93:A9
Software variant: -
Boot loader: 7.33.1

The quiet line test show no obvious noise - not even a hum!

0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 4 of 20

Hi @graeme2507,

Have you tried the quite line test as suggested by @Grimerbob?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
graeme2507
Contributor
Message 5 of 20

Hi @PaddyB

Yes - quiet line test has been run - and it's very quiet. Even on a cordless phone there's no discernible noise.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 20

have you tried a different filter and a different modem rj11 cable if you have one

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 7 of 20

Hi @graeme2507,

Do you notice any patterns to the disconnection, do the tend to be around the same time or are the ramdom in nature?

Being honest if you are only noticing a disconnection once every couple of days it will be very difficult to identify the actual cause of the disconnection. In most cases the disconnection is caused by interference being picked up on the line.

If you have a few min to spare take a read of http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
graeme2507
Contributor
Message 8 of 20

Hi @imjolly

Yes partly - in the past 5 months I've swapped various components of my set up.

The BT Smart Hub 6 is the second one supplied by BT.  The first was provided as part of extending my contract.  Before that I had a HH3 and was starting to get problems with the DHCP lease times - it was happening every few minutes and made using any device problemmatic.  I thought a Smart Hub 6 as part of the extension was a good move.

I swapped the RJ11 cable for one that is supposed to be 'better' - I get problems with both/either.

I haven't actually swapped the filter.  The first one I tried didn't seem to work at all.  The one I'm currently using seemed to work.  I have since found another filter I could try.  Or I could put the socket faceplate back on - I have no additional wiring connected so it should be OK.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 20

better using the test socket with the filter as this eliminates the faceplate as causing the problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
graeme2507
Contributor
Message 10 of 20

Hi @PaddyB

Interesting question.

Sometimes the drop outs appear to happen at almost the same time of the day - but not every time.  For instance, the following 'link down' messages all seem to be at about 03:45 in the morning - except for the one at 07:29 yesterday morning! 

03:45:14, 17 Apr. dsl:ADSL Link Down: duration was 72916 seconds

07:29:06, 16 Apr. dsl:ADSL Link Down: duration was 13360 seconds

03:45:38, 16 Apr. dsl:ADSL Link Down: duration was 86490 seconds

03:43:28, 15 Apr. dsl:ADSL Link Down: duration was 172188 seconds

03:53:00, 13 Apr. dsl:ADSL Link Down: duration was 205913 seconds

At other times the drop outs are more random.

Thanks for the link to kitz.co.uk. I've been here before!

One thing that I think is linked to my problem is the SNR margin which is sometimes very high (>100db for Upstream) and at other times down to zero.  Presumably the DLM is altering this continuously to deal with problems/interference on the line.  When the line goes down it seems to come back up with a more sensible value - i.e. between 6.0 and 9.0 both up and down. An engineer I had out in January had the line reset with SNR at about 6.1 db because he thought the very low values were causing the drop outs. 

0 Ratings