Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

BT Broadband SMTP? (Outlook)

Go to solution

I have been using Outlook successfully all over the country for years, changing my SMTP to suit the provider - so this isn't a problem with Outlook as far as I can tell. I've tried all SMTP's that I can find online but still can't send emails. BT technical support tell me that the SMTP should be mail.btinternet.com, but this also doesn't work. Like I said I've had no problems in sending before with other providers. I can't use webmail efficiently and need to be able to send emails for business.

Could anyone please help?

Thanks

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: BT Broadband SMTP? (Outlook)

Go to solution

Welcome to the BT Residential Customers forum

As you are a business user, please could you post on the BT Business forum at http://business.forums.bt.com/

I think BT Business use a different mail system (BT Connect), which is more reliable, so your settings of mail.btinternet.com may not be correct, so you may be better asking on that forum,

There is a help page here.

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27/~/outlook-express%3A-setting-up-your-email...

I would not want to rely on BT Yahoo for business e-mails Smiley Sad

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Hi,

I'm not a business user!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

Have you recently become a customer of BT and the problem has started since then or have you been using BT Yahoo mail for a while? Is it a BT email address you are sending from or a non BT email address? 

If it is non BT email address then you will need to have it verified so that you can send it through BT.  

See this link.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10903/kw/reset%20BT%20Yahoo%20Password/c/346,412,416/...

You also need to tick the box “My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" - and you need to use "Log on using" and enter the BTinternet email address/password  you've used to verify the Non BT email address.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

It isn't a BT email address. I want to send through this BT wifi using my own email (will (at) willusher.com)

I shouldn't need to change anything other than the outgoing SMTP as it works fine under any other service provider.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

I may be wrong but I think because you are trying to send it via the BT Yahoo servers you will need to get it verified to prove tha it is not a spam account. If you follow the link above this will inform you how to do that.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution
If you are using a hosting service for your domain/email they ought to provide the correct server names for SMTP or IMAP. That way you don't need to go anywhere near the BT servers.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

@willbram wrote:

It isn't a BT email address. I want to send through this BT wifi using my own email (will (at) willusher.com)

I shouldn't need to change anything other than the outgoing SMTP as it works fine under any other service provider.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Can you say what error you are getting ?

If you aren't using the smtp server of a hosting company and wish to send using the BTYahoo! mail servers, then you will need to go through address verification. Other ISPs may differ. See my shortcuts (link below) option 0e. However you should have received a bouce mail to say to visit the verification system.

You also need to make sure that you have got set smtp authentication in the Outlook settings.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

The error I get (using mail.btinternet.com) when sending a test message is...

Send test e-mail message: Cannot send the message. Verify the e-mail address in your account properties.  The server responded: 530 authentication required - Your email could not be sent. To fix this you must make a simple change to your email (known as SMTP authentication).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

As per my previous post you need to verify the email address. Follow the link I gave to show you what to do.

0 Ratings