cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

BT Broadband Talk and other ISPs/Network Operators?

I have BT Broadband Talk as part of my broadband package.  I use it occasionally from the UK but there isn't a lot of point as the calls aren't free, however I can see its appeal when abroad.  I always thought though that it wasn't accessible from other ISPs or Mobile network operators?  Certainly from the SIP client on my mobile phone using Vodafone I can't register, however at home when I enable WiFi on the phone it happily registers and I can make and receive calls from my Broadband Talk number.  Also when at a friends house who also has BT Broadband I can register and use Broadband Talk, but at my sisters who has Orange broadband it doesn't work?

I assumed the ISPs/Network Operators blocked SIP access to the BT Broadband Talk server?

Andy

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Broadband Talk and other ISPs/Network Operators?

my daughter is on Orange and my HTC desire using sipdroid works with my bttalk - just need to log in to her network

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Hmm...  I am sure this didn't work last time I tried this - however I'll check next time I am there.  I can also check at my mums later who has TalkTalk..

Andy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

it may be the router - my daughter uses a netgear

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Yep, the router needs to understand the SIP protocol so it will work with NAT and any Firewalling it is doing. However I thought access to the BT SIP servers was specifically blocked by a lot of ISPs?
0 Ratings