cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

BT Broadband Talk

I was aware that BT was stopping supplying the service to new customers, but just read that the service is planning on being canned in 2014.

As this was an integral part of the service when I joined and I do make use of the service, hence my renewals over the years is there going to be a replacement service for VoiP by BT ??

I'm aware of smarttalk and have used it occassionally, but this in no replacement for the additional effective second line service that BT Broadband Talk provides

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Broadband Talk

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Hi Keith,

Appreciate that you can port number to another provider, but most good proiders have a monthly fee (in addition to the call charges) which I didnt pay with BBtalk as this was originall a free service, and the free evening and weekend calls a real boon.

Just a shame BT killing it off 🙂 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

There is no planned replacement for Broadband Talk,,as it was removed from all new customers in 2011 as all new home hubs eg.home hub 3 & 4no longer have the feature non them also when re contracting or ordering differant packages the service is also removed
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Broadband Talk has caused a lot of problems for BT, especially when people were paying for unlimited calls on their landline, and did not realise that if they used BBT, the call package would not apply.

People did not fully understand the service, and many thought that the hub phones connected to their wireless network.

There were also reliability issues when the HH2 was introduced. With the introduction of the HH3, BBT was not supported anyway. Also with the advent of services like Skype, the cost of maintaining the BBT service, for the dwindling number of users, forced BT to rethink.

BT still supply VOIP services to BT Business customers.

Its still unclear what BT are going to do about the remaining BBT users. I would have hoped that they would come to some arrangement with a VOIP provider, to port numbers across, and arrange a discounted deal for a limited period of time.

I still use BBT, as it gives me the free evening calls.

BT SmartTalk does give some extra flexibility for customers with a mobile that supports it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 8

Your right Keith. I am paying for unlimitted landline calls . I see it on my BT bill and it isnt "buttons" and then I realise that others are getting it free. That didnt make me a " Happy Bunny". From my point of view we all should pay for it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 8

@duncan10 wrote:

I am paying for unlimitted landline calls . I see it on my BT bill and it isnt "buttons" and then I realise that others are getting it free.

They're not getting unlimited calls free, only evenings which costs £2 a month on top of the line rental. The point is that when BB Talk was a live product it reflected the fact that evening calls were also included in the line rental, which changed to weekends only after the demise of BB Talk for new customers.

The unlimited calls option is much less attractive these days. I ditched it when recontracting recently, it having dawned on me that I regularly had a stack of unused monthly minutes on my mobile.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 8

Thanks for the info Potty person I  thought it was unlimited and bringing me "up to speed" on the truth.

0 Ratings