cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 25

BT Broadband Upgrade

I'm on BT Broadband with my current contract which will expire in October 2014, if I upgrade to BT Infinity now, do I have to pay cancellation fee?

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 25

Re: BT Broadband Upgrade

No you won't.  Phone 0800.800.030 which is the Options Team and they will do it for you. Your new contract would start as soon as you want BT Infinity to start.

Use this checker first to decide which Infinity to go for. If you can not get over 38Mbps there is no point in going for Infinity 2. Keep in mind your speeds will be somewhere between the Range A and Range B speeds. It will probably not be the top speed.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 25

I get around 1.2-4MB/s download speed with BT Broadband and this is the result from the checker,

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 25

Going by that you will see that you will get somewhere between 22.4mbps and 47mbps. If your speeds are so low at the moment I would suspect that you may be on a Range B line and won't get above the Infinity 1 max of 38Mbps so I would only go for that.

You could take a gamble that you would be on a Range A line and it may be possible to downgrade if you don't get above 38Mbps but doing that may be more hassle than it's worth for the extra few Mbps that you might get.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 25

Thanks for your help, I'll ring BT tomorrow and will report back the result

Also Range B is Infinity 1 and Range A is Infinity 2?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 25

I agree that with those estimates it would probably be wise to go for Infinity 1 first and see what speed you get. You can always upgrade again in future to Infinity 2 if suitable, but BT don't let you downgrade so easily.

This page lists the current options for existing customers wishing to upgrade their broadband.

Upgrade your BT Broadband

You can order online, or talk to Customer Options who might be able to throw in a discount or two if you are lucky.

Note that there is also a 40GB Infinity 1 for £18 which they might be able to do if you ask nicely over the phone.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 25

@Casterina wrote:

Also Range B is Infinity 1 and Range A is Infinity 2?

No. They are to do with the configuration of your phone line from the cabinet to your master socket. Clean or impacted. 

If you are on an impacted line then going by the estimates you would only get 22 - 40 Mbps regardless of whether on Infinity 1 or Infinity 2.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 25

When I upgrade to BT Infinity, do I have to wait for few days for activation or will the broadband be on straight away as kids can't live without the internet 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 9 of 25

My broadband was off about 20 mins max. until Infinity kicked in.

Stew
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 25

your existing broadband continues until just before the engineer carries out the fibre install normally a downtime of about 30 minutes while changes are made at your street cabinet and the master socket in your home
0 Ratings