cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 21 of 25

Re: BT Broadband Upgrade

Just an update of the current situation, I placed the Infinity 2 for £26.65 each month yesterday on the phone but had better deals elsewhere so I phoned BT up again and they offer me £23 each month so I accepted the offer, the staff cancelled my previous order but when he went to place the new order, it said my account has two promotional offers so he requested to a different department to get it removed, do you know how long it will take to remove it so I can place the new order?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 22 of 25

I've no idea how long it takes to clear the old order promotional offers.

Unlimited Infinity 1 is normally £23 and you have to pay an activation fee of £30.

So £23 for Unlimited Infinity 2 sounds like a decent offer. Did you confirm though that the activation fee of £30 was still not applicable for this Infinity 2 offer.

Are you certain you want to go for Infinity 2 bearing in mind your possible speed limitations? If I was you I would also ask them for a best quote on Unlimited Infinity 1 before making a decision. You might be offered that for £20 or less, but normally would also have to pay the £30 activation fee with Infinity 1 so need to take that into account. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 23 of 25

£23 for Infinity 2 unlimited with evening and weekend calls plan so not a bad offer, I haven't asked about the £30 activation fee yet as I'm still waiting for the previous order to be cancelled on my account before I can place the new one. I was going to opt for Infinity 1 unlimited but the guy told me that my current exchange is in process of providing faster speed so I didn't ask about the price and searched on Google that my exchange is approx 1.4 miles away

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 24 of 25

@Casterina wrote:

£23 for Infinity 2 unlimited with evening and weekend calls plan so not a bad offer, I haven't asked about the £30 activation fee yet as I'm still waiting for the previous order to be cancelled on my account before I can place the new one. I was going to opt for Infinity 1 unlimited but the guy told me that my current exchange is in process of providing faster speed so I didn't ask about the price and searched on Google that my exchange is approx 1.4 miles away

Your previous order was charging £2 extra for the unlimited evening calls add-on. Good if they are including that for £23 as well, but I would double check that as I was recently told they don't do it like that any more, just as the add-on which is now normally £3 (possibly £2 on a discounted offer). 

For Infinity it doesn't matter how far away your exchange is, the constraint on your speed is due to the last copper bit from the street cabinet to your home, along with the protocols used as mentioned below. Your distance from the street cabinet and the quality of that cabling is the main factor in deciding what speed your line will support. 

There are far more knowledgeable people than me with regards to the Infinity speeds. However I was under the impression that for FTTC BT were currently using VDSL2 on the 17a profile, and though an upgrade to the 30a profile with faster speeds was possible there were no current plans to do that. Also vectoring is possible but is mainly to ensure speeds don't drop as more users get Infinity rather than to offer faster speeds. So I'm not sure what the advisor means when he says they are in the process of upgrading the exchange for faster speeds. Others might know.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 25 of 25

I'm paying £6.35 extra each month for Infinity 2 unlimited with evening and weekend calls plan for 12 months, so that's £76.20 extra for the year and I don't have to pay for the £30 activation fee so the offer sounds really good to me

Also the staff did tell me about the evening and weekend calls plan which is now £3 but I currently have that on my current broadband plan and he said it will only be £2 and not £3

0 Ratings