cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
shinymac
Beginner
Message 1 of 36

BT Broadband Usage Meter : Wildly Innacurate ?

Hi All,

I am new here so please excuse me if I have posted this message in the wrong place !

I have been a BT Broadband Customer for many years, and after being on BT Total Broadband Option 2 for quite a while, I was told about 12 months ago by BT themselves that my usage was so low that I could easily drop to "Option 1" which they kindly did for me.

All has been ok and I have not exceeded my 10Gb quota, since I was dropped to that level, UNTIL LAST MONTH !  I got the usual email from BT warning me on 24th November, that I had used 7Gb of my 10Gb allowance. I wasnt duly alarmed by this as I new there was only a week left till the end of the month when I would get my new allowance. HOWEVER, imagine my horror when on 7th December, I get another email saying that last month I EXCEEDED my 10Gb allowance, and in fact had used 20GB  !!!  So they were stating that in the last 7 days of November I had alledgedly downloaded a massive 13GB of data. And furthermore my December download allowance was again, being eaten up at a ridiculous rate.

I found this unbelievable as my interent surfing habits have not changed significantly in the last year. I dont ever download movies, or audio, and any video clips I watch are only a few minutes long.

So what the **bleep** is going on ? I phoned BT but as their call centre is in India it was difficult to explain. I was advised to carry out a test and stay off the net altogether for 24 hours and then re-check my usage. This I did, and sure enough my usage HAD NOT increased. But, when I AM online, even just checking emails and browsing the net, all of a sudden my usage appears to be rocketing??

I have a laptop and a desktop PC but always try to only have one on at any one time.

Can anyone tell me how I can prove to BT that I am not downloading anywhere NEAR the amount of data that they say I am ? And does anyone have a DIRECT PHONE NUMBER to contact the right department with my concern ?

Thanks in Advance !

Derek

0 Ratings
35 REPLIES 35
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 36

Re: BT Broadband Usage Meter : Wildly Innacurate ?

posting the same problem on different boards won't help get replies as the same people read all the boards.

did you check the usage meter at my bt on BT.com?  that way you can keep check of what's happening - remember upload counts as well as download

there is no direct number apart from CS India  08001114567

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 36

@shinymac wrote:

Hi All,

I am new here so please excuse me if I have posted this message in the wrong place !

I have been a BT Broadband Customer for many years, and after being on BT Total Broadband Option 2 for quite a while, I was told about 12 months ago by BT themselves that my usage was so low that I could easily drop to "Option 1" which they kindly did for me.

All has been ok and I have not exceeded my 10Gb quota, since I was dropped to that level, UNTIL LAST MONTH !  I got the usual email from BT warning me on 24th November, that I had used 7Gb of my 10Gb allowance. I wasnt duly alarmed by this as I new there was only a week left till the end of the month when I would get my new allowance. HOWEVER, imagine my horror when on 7th December, I get another email saying that last month I EXCEEDED my 10Gb allowance, and in fact had used 20GB  !!!  So they were stating that in the last 7 days of November I had alledgedly downloaded a massive 13GB of data. And furthermore my December download allowance was again, being eaten up at a ridiculous rate.

I found this unbelievable as my interent surfing habits have not changed significantly in the last year. I dont ever download movies, or audio, and any video clips I watch are only a few minutes long.

So what the **bleep** is going on ? I phoned BT but as their call centre is in India it was difficult to explain. I was advised to carry out a test and stay off the net altogether for 24 hours and then re-check my usage. This I did, and sure enough my usage HAD NOT increased. But, when I AM online, even just checking emails and browsing the net, all of a sudden my usage appears to be rocketing??

I have a laptop and a desktop PC but always try to only have one on at any one time.

Can anyone tell me how I can prove to BT that I am not downloading anywhere NEAR the amount of data that they say I am ? And does anyone have a DIRECT PHONE NUMBER to contact the right department with my concern ?

Thanks in Advance !

Derek

Hi Derek. Welcome to the forums.

Have you checked your usage using the online meter (the readin up to a day in arrears) - see my shortcuts (link below) options 14d-14g, hopefully one will work for you.

Have you been using Skype video chat for example, facebook applications, tv catchup, online gaming  ?

Don't forget, it's not only downloads that count - uploads are also included.

0 Ratings
shinymac
Beginner
Message 4 of 36

Hi Andy,

Yes...I have been checking the BT Broadband Usage Meter online daily since the start of my problems.

I dont use Skype, Online Gaming, TV Catchup or anything like that. I only surf the web, watch the occasional youtube clip but not very often, and download the odd photo now and then.

BT have since been in touch with me to give me written instructions on re-setting my home hub, making new passwords up, encrypting this and that etc...all of which is totally beyond my level of knowledge !

I dont know where to turn now ? All I know is that I have not in any way downloaded or uploaded anything like the amount of data that BT say I have !

HELP !

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 36

@shinymac wrote:

Hi Andy,

Yes...I have been checking the BT Broadband Usage Meter online daily since the start of my problems.

I dont use Skype, Online Gaming, TV Catchup or anything like that. I only surf the web, watch the occasional youtube clip but not very often, and download the odd photo now and then.

BT have since been in touch with me to give me written instructions on re-setting my home hub, making new passwords up, encrypting this and that etc...all of which is totally beyond my level of knowledge !

I dont know where to turn now ? All I know is that I have not in any way downloaded or uploaded anything like the amount of data that BT say I have !

HELP !

Hi again.

To be frank, there is no need to reset the hub, alter the admin password or indeed alter the hub wireless password. There is no harm in doing this though, but unless someone else knows all of these exactly, then it's not going to be hacked.

What have the daily figures been showing ? Have you compared them to say the hub stats ? (although not the same time period perhaps, it's at least a guide).

0 Ratings
shinymac
Beginner
Message 6 of 36

Hi Andy,

Sorry, but I dont know what the "hub stats" are ?

I have only been using the online BT Broadband usage meter. I managed to "chat online" with BT Billing in India before xmas. They said they would put a comment on my account not to charge me for any excess usage until the matter is sorted out. (I hope they did !). They then said they would pass my problem on to BT Tech support, and asked me what time of day I would like them to call me. We agreed a time, and lets toss that coin....they never phoned me ! But it appears they DID phone me...FOUR HOURS after the agreed time, and I wasnt at home. They left me a message and send an email of instructions to re-set the home hub etc etc...all of which was beyond me.

I left things until after xmas and contacted them last night, but unluckily for me it was the tech support office in INDIA that answered...not the one in IRELAND. They talked me through re-setting my home hub, and checking it for anything suspicious. This proved faultless. They are now saying that the problem with my usage figures MUST be a "billing problem"????  So they have left a message with the billing department, who I have to contact today.

My usage for December so far now shows a whopping 21.GB used up...which cannot be correct !

I only hope that the billing department can sort my problem out. So you think that there is no way that someone could be hacking into my home hub and using my allowance for their own purposes ?

Thanks

Derek

0 Ratings
djh22
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 36

Hi shinymac,

Assuming you have a HHv2 you can find the usage stats as follows - Type http://192.168.1.254 into your browser then click on "settings" and log in,then click on "advanced settings" and "continue to advanced settings",then click on "Broadband" and you should see Data transmitted/received (MB).

You need to add these two figures together, best thing to do it take a note of BT online monitor usage in the morning and also the hub stats, next day read the hub stats again and subtract the previous days total ,this should give you a rough idea of your daily usage, then read the BT usage monitor again and see if it has increased by the same amount as your Hub stats.

Hope that makes sense. Smiley Happy

Del.

0 Ratings
nostra999
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 36

Oddly my usage checker has disappeared from the website! Cannot find it anywhere.

0 Ratings
djh22
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 36

@nostra999 wrote:

Oddly my usage checker has disappeared from the website! Cannot find it anywhere.

Hi have you tried any of the links Andy_N has kindly provided for us here - http://www.andyweb.co.uk/shortcuts/

14d usually works.

0 Ratings
nostra999
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 36

Thanks for reply, but unfortunately none of them show a usage area, one of them said: Sorry, we are currently unable to present Manage your services information.

Ill give it a couple of days, has happened before i think and come back.

0 Ratings