cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 111 of 165

Re: BT Broadband Usage Monitor Wildly Inaccurate

I have now had a chance to read through the hundreds of other similar complaining posts on this forum.

Many, many others are in the same boat. Clearly the BT Usage Meter tells lies and BT uses this bogus data to sell customers more expensive packages that they don't need. That is morally, if not legally wrong.

If BT refuse to do anything about the problem (and let's face it, they have been dragging their heels for months), then I suggest that Watchdog and Trading Standards should be the next stop for all those affected.

h

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 112 of 165

Hello there,

It seems I am another victim of the usage meter. I can concur with most of what you've all complained about.

I have been with BT for 5 or 6 years and had the 10GB limit. I had never gone over that limit until April, May and June when I started to use the iPlayer. When I discovered that I had been charged extra, I made the link between iPlayer use and my apparent exceeding of the limit.

I immediately stopped using the iPlayer in mid-June when I received the bill.

I expected the Usage Monitor on the website to go back to normal from July but I've checked it and I've apparently used over 1GB in just the first day of July. This means that if I carry on I will only be able to use the internet for 10 days a month!.......despite the fact that I am only using the internet in exactly the same way I've used it every day since 2005/6 (apart from the brief April-mid June iPlayer period).

I've sent a message to Kerry G, but from your posts it seems I won't get the problem addressed satisfactorily.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 113 of 165

Hi Buster.

I think you will get it resolved but you will have to be patient and prove your case absolutely. There are enough people now with similar stories though for BT to have to have initiated there own analysis and to have sorted this though.

It isn't good enough just to bury the corporate head in the sand & pretend it will go away.

Good luck

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 114 of 165

Thanks, Laser.

I'm not giving up on this.

I've given BT 5/6 years custom for BB and decades for the telephone. I've never missed a payment or been in debt with them. What a great way to repay me.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 115 of 165

what I'd like to see, that we'll NEVER EVER see - is the total amount of income that BT has generated by using the bTUM as it's measuring stick for billing overages.  remember now, for every member of the BT community who comes here to complain, there may be literally hundreds, thousands, maybe even tens of thousands of others who just pay the bill and don't ask questions or give up after 30 or 45 minutes on one customer service call ...

they offer a product and then use hidden methods of accounting to measure what is consumption that is billed on top of the product sold.  which of course, they actually bill for in chunks vs bits.  for a 10gb customer, half of the normal consumption total for 1 KB over the line.

good work if you can find it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 116 of 165

I've got the same problem. Last month's figures were way above what I expected. Initially I thought it must be me (or some rogue software) but the online usage monitor is obviously wrong. It's the sixth day of the month and apparently I've used over 7 gig. For 4 of those 5 days (i.e. 7 GB as of midnight) I was barely using the internet. The BT stats don't match with the home hub records. My previous ISP never had an issue with my usage.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 117 of 165

I've got the same problem too. I was reported 7.6Gb in 3 days while my meter check was only 590Mb, which is far multiple of the exact one.
I called and they said they don't keep record of clients, but they sure the meter record is correct.
they cannot help any but to upgrade the plan.
anyone can help on this???
i sweared i cant use up to 7.6 Gb in 3 days.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 118 of 165

Reading these posts has dissuaded me from coming over to BT.  I have no intention of being charged for something I do not use.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 119 of 165

I don't have a problem with the online monitor being inaccurate and I expect there are tons of other BT BB customers like me Smiley Happy

If you're 100% happy with your present provider, why move ?

Best,

Del.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 120 of 165

But if the online monitor wildly exagerates your useage (if you're on 40gb d/l) and you get charged an extra 20-50 pounds would you still not have a problem with the monitor?  The only reason I was thinking about moving form my present supplier was to make use of outside wi-fi and Fon, perhaps that is why the online monitor is os wildly inaccurate.

0 Ratings