cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Laserjet3200
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 165

BT Broadband Usage Monitor Wildly Inaccurate

I have BT Option 1 and a 10GB BB limit which should be OK for our limited surfing/e-mail usage.

17 days into this months cycle, the Usage Monitor shows 58.9GB and has risen by 14.47GB in the last 5 days. During the same period, the usage monitor on my Home Hub shows a usage of just 641MB.

I'm pretty certain that I don't have a virus, external parasite or unintentional internal leak (I'm confident that the hub records all data in & out of my property anyway so would include this if I did)

I have a 10 digit alpha-numeric password known only to me and can identify all of the MAC addresses that are/have connected to my router during the period.

Has anyone experienced this problem AND managed to persuade BT that it isn't leakage/fraud at the user end?

0 Ratings
164 REPLIES 164
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 165

Re: BT Broadband Usage Monitor Wildly Inaccurate

@Laserjet3200 wrote:

I have BT Option 1 and a 10GB BB limit which should be OK for our limited surfing/e-mail usage.

17 days into this months cycle, the Usage Monitor shows 58.9GB and has risen by 14.47GB in the last 5 days. During the same period, the usage monitor on my Home Hub shows a usage of just 641MB.

I'm pretty certain that I don't have a virus, external parasite or unintentional internal leak (I'm confident that the hub records all data in & out of my property anyway so would include this if I did)

I have a 10 digit alpha-numeric password known only to me and can identify all of the MAC addresses that are/have connected to my router during the period.

Has anyone experienced this problem AND managed to persuade BT that it isn't leakage/fraud at the user end?

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

I personally believe that there is something wrong with the online system with regard certain conditions or some form of failure or accounting system error.

Your figures clearly are wildly higher than your expected figures. Even if there is no increase in the amount used this month - you are looking at £50 for the extra usage.

I have mentioned it before, but not sure if anything has been done. A kind moderator should perhaps take on a couple of users reporting these high figures, and try to get to the bottom of it.

It does look like cross contamination of data usage somewhere.

0 Ratings
Laserjet3200
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 165

Thanks Andy - that's what it sounds like to me. Not sure how to get to the bottom of it but the call centre folk don't seem able to accept anything other than that "the system must be right, the problem is yours" Certainly the cost of not getting it sorted is untenable. Fingers crossed.

Cheers,

0 Ratings
djh22
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 165

Hi Laserjet,

There seems to be a lot of this going on lately,does your Hub usage agree with BT ? I doubt it.

The first time this happened to me I emailed BT and asked them to provide me with written details of my daily usage for the month in question, they replied saying that they were unable to provide the details,so I said in that case they couldn't charge me without evidence of what they were charging me for, I then got a refund of the charge.

Del.

0 Ratings
wedd1ng528
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 165

You are right djh22, there seem to have been a number of times that this has happened. I don't recall the mods getting involved. Certainly if it happens to me I will involve them and I will take your advice as well.

wedding

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
0 Ratings
Laserjet3200
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 165

Thanks guys & djh22 - did you just e-mail BT via the "contact us" form or is there a specific contact point that you'd recommend?

Not sure how  MODS are involved but all help welcome & I'd be happy for BT to monitor use at my end vs what they are seeing at theirs. I know that Broadband can be piggy-backed at local/wi-fi level but can folk get access to the miles of wire in the system? Sounds scary but that is my only conclusion.

Yesterday the monitor recorded 3.98GB and my hub shows that I've used 117MB in the last 1 day, 5 hours & 21 seconds (I had to reset it then following a GTA session with BT)

0 Ratings
djh22
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 165

Yea, I used the contact us option,then Billing,broadband bill,one off charge,then email -

this link might do it - http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/761,893,895

Cheers,

Del.

0 Ratings
Laserjet3200
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 165

Thanks Del - I'll try that tomorrow. I'm up to 198MB over 35.5 hours now so still comfortably inside my 10GB plan by my reckoning. 

0 Ratings
djh22
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 165

Good, also keep a note of your daily usage taken from the Hub, even take a screen shot of it if you have to, at least until this issue settles down.

Also take a look at my thread here - 

http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/BT-usage-monitor-differences/m-p/109039#M54830

Best,

Del.

0 Ratings
Laserjet3200
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 165

Thanks Del. I'm on Mac so can't use your monitor but I do have "Surplus Meter", "ISat Pro" & "Little Snitch" which monitor usage & identify specific traffic using my network.

The two usage meters tie up broadly with the Hub and Little Snitch hasn't identified any processes that I'm not aware of - no virus or hidden programmes.

I'll drop BT a note today after 0930 when they've updated my usage meter on the web. The hub now shows 201MB over the last 44 hours, 41 minutes so it should be interesting to see what the official count is.

Cheers, Peter

0 Ratings