cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Laserjet3200
Aspiring Expert
Message 31 of 165

Re: BT Broadband Usage Monitor Wildly Inaccurate

Hi Scottie. They clearly have a problem - the trick is to get it escalated to a level that can investigate & resolve. I'm really not sure how to do that.

My plan in the short term is to keep the numbers live (I'll do this every day) & give the evidence for even the most sceptical of folk to think "there may be something in this"

I've written to my local Trading Standards & have diarised Friday as the day I'll contact the outside arbitrators if not resolved.

I've offered to allow Engineers to investigate my home/HH2/Surfing habits to rule out any possibility that it may be a "me" problem rather than a system problem & can only await their decision.

In the meantime, I downloaded a 666MB iPhone upgrade today (about 4 times my daily norm) so interested to see how that is recorded tomorrow!

Cheers, Peter

0 Ratings
djh22
Recognised Expert
Message 32 of 165

Keep screen shots of your daily hub usage figures and a spreadsheet showing how you work out the daily usage from the accumulating hub figures, also keep screen shots from independent third party monitors, Networx is very good so long as you don't have any periferals attached to the hub.

Best,

Del.

0 Ratings
Laserjet3200
Aspiring Expert
Message 33 of 165

Thanks Del - that's all done & in the file.

Had a different day yesterday: Deliberately uploaded a 666MB file so ended the day on a total usage of 823MB measured through the hub. The web usage meter this morning greeted me with 4.52GB which is the highest daily volume that I've seen so there seems to be a relationship of sorts. If only I could get rid of the "multiplier"

I've also dropped out of BT Fon to see if that makes a difference. My Hub "connection time" counter was reset just over 3 hours ago. I'm assuming this is when they made the change. Happily, the cumulative usage numbers remain intact.

Nothing more I can do although I'm now on 13.37GB for April so into chargeable territory - I hope we can get it fixed before I need to start bouncing DD's!

0 Ratings
Laserjet3200
Aspiring Expert
Message 34 of 165

This article contains an interesting piece entitled:

"AT&T's Measurement Tools Called Wildly Inaccurate: Suspiciously Usually in Their Favour"

http://stopthecap.com/tag/internet-overcharging-scheme/ 

Originally posted by Bloo14 - thank you!

I'm waiting for todays update on the usage meter to see how the 72MB I used yesterday has been reported by BT.

0 Ratings
Laserjet3200
Aspiring Expert
Message 35 of 165

And the results in from the usage monitor:

BT = 3.12GB for the day, Home Hub = 72MB for the day

BT = 16.79GB for the month, Home Hub = 1.59GB for the month

I've switched off BT Fon - doesn't look like that has helped much!

0 Ratings
Laserjet3200
Aspiring Expert
Message 36 of 165

OK: I went away for the weekend so unplugged the router on Friday evening.

• Logged into my BT Account from where we were staying on Saturday morning to check the BT Usage Monitor which read 18.71GB
  • Enjoyed an excellent day out with friends.
  • Returned home on Sunday, plugged in the router and checked the usage monitor which (having been in the boot of my car for 41 hours) now read 21.66GB. So, 2.95GB of use without a router!
  • Concluded that my usage must figure must just be some random function & in no way related to my actual use.
  • Nice little earner if you can get it!
I'm now back online but note that my download speed has dropped from around 5MBPS to just over 2KBPS - upload is now down to under 4KBPS. I feel more pain to come...

0 Ratings
Laserjet3200
Aspiring Expert
Message 37 of 165

Latest Update:

BT Usage Monitor = 27.35GB MTD.

BT Home Hub      =   1.75GB MTD.

Oddly enough, I still haven't had my over-limit e-mail

Stephanie G has written to me again & has promised to investigate this further for me - thanks Stephanie.

0 Ratings
Laserjet3200
Aspiring Expert
Message 38 of 165

Stop Press:

I've now been updated to show yesterday's usage which has come in @ 0.28GB. That is by far the lowest daily increment since I started checking on March 14 (previous lowest 0.96GB)

It's still more than I reckon I used during the period (90MB) but hopefully the sign of better things to come... 

0 Ratings
westbynorthwest
Contributor
Message 39 of 165

0 Ratings
Laserjet3200
Aspiring Expert
Message 40 of 165

Sadly the 0.28GB was only a blip. Back to 2.91GB yesterday vs my measured 427MB.

Like Kengordon, I received a reply from BT

It seems folly to me to insist that one system of measurement is correct and that all others (without checking any of them) are incorrect. As you are aware, I went away over the weekend taking the router with me. The usage meter managed to record 2.95GB whilst in the boot of my car some 200 miles away. Common sense says that this alone is worth looking into? Doesn't it? Or is it just me?

We will get to the bottom of this though - is there anyone else out there who's still experiencing the same problems?

0 Ratings