Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
djh22
Recognised Expert
Message 51 of 165

Re: BT Broadband Usage Monitor Wildly Inaccurate

@Laserjet3200 wrote:

Thanks Del. I run a Mac & unfortunately TBB is only PC compatible.

Yea, sorry Lj I forgot you had a Mac.

Any way - I don't understand why BT are saying that the usage recorded on the Hub is not accurate.

If that's the case I'll dump my HH and put my Netgear DG834g back on and get a decent speed.

Del.

0 Ratings
Laserjet3200
Aspiring Expert
Message 52 of 165

Neither do I. 

I'm sure that the Netgear router would read the same as the BT one anyway. I may well try my Belkin to make sure but not until I have no-where else to go.

My view is that the techies haven't done a thorough job of investigating this yet - not sure why - it wouldn't be beyond the wit of man to send an engineer out to me to do a control test at my end & correlate the results with what they are seeing centrally.

I'd be happy to see a 500MB file sent down the line one day & switch the router off for 24 hours again.

0 Ratings
djh22
Recognised Expert
Message 53 of 165

My Netgear version doesn't record any usage stats at all,the only reason why I put Hub on.

Yea I agree it sems they don't want to listen to what their customers are saying.

0 Ratings
Laserjet3200
Aspiring Expert
Message 54 of 165

Just tried to update the stats - a big day for me yesterday - I used nearly 400MB of my allowance so have boosted my MTD average to nearly 167MB/Day.

Tried to log on to the Usage Meter but notice it is undergoing maintenance at the moment. Hopefully It'll come out with a clean bill of health!

0 Ratings
Patty-L
Recognised Expert
Message 55 of 165

Funny thing I have no problem today logging in and seeing usage monitor etc. No mention of maintainance.
My usage seems normal option 1 only use for email and browsing no Iplayer etc (the guzzlers).
Does the area you live have any bearing on above I live in South Wales (not rural,) but no infinity. Pat
0 Ratings
Laserjet3200
Aspiring Expert
Message 56 of 165

Hi Pat. It was just for a short time that the message was up. The message went but the site hadn't updated but now it has. Any hopes of a resolution dashed however as my measured usage of c 400MB has been translated into the fairly standard 2.98GB by the time it had got to BT.

I wonder if they are monitoring someone else's line? I've not been able to identify any way that broadband can be hijacked on the way from BT to my 'phone socket but I have found loads of references in the States, Canada & Australia where the major ISP's are running into significant difficulties with accurate measurement of customer usage.

In each case, the ISP's have gone into denial initially & then come clean.

There is no regulatory framework governing the measurement equipment

0 Ratings
westbynorthwest
Contributor
Message 57 of 165

0 Ratings
westbynorthwest
Contributor
Message 58 of 165

I think the readings on the usage monitor are a day out
0 Ratings
westbynorthwest
Contributor
Message 59 of 165

I have been with bt from the 5 of April and in that time I have used 7.44gb of a 10gb allowance. quite alot for web surffing and checking e-mails, I was with AOL for ten years and never reached 8gb of my 10gb allowance, something not right here. Get no logical explanation from my 8 phone calls to BT.
0 Ratings
djh22
Recognised Expert
Message 60 of 165

@westbynorthwest wrote:
I think the readings on the usage monitor are a day out

It seems OK with my records, balances with Hub usage stats,Networx and bandwidth monitor.

0 Ratings