Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 225

BT Broadband Usage monitor LIES

Hi,

I have recently joined Bt from the 18th when my phone service and broadband was activated. The bt home hub came a few days later on the 21st. Before connecting the hub to the computer the day before I was on my BT and I wanted to check out the usage monitor and from the 10GB I receive it said that my current total till the 31st was 9.70GB left, this is impossible because I haven't used the Internet and haven't plugged in the hub, i kept calling bt about the problem but there was no definite answer from them. Now its been 8 days that I have used the Internet since the 21st. I keep checking my usage after the first 3 days it said i used 3gb and now I received an email saying that I have exceed 7gb and I have checked the usage monitor and it says that I have 2.2Gb left. TO be honest with you i was with sky the free broadband package which was 2Gb and I haven't went over the limit once so I cant see how I have spent 7gb in 8 days.I can see on the forum that other members are having the same problem as me, this is unfair and i hope there is a solution to all of this.

0 Ratings
224 REPLIES 224
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 225

Re: BT Broadband Usage monitor LIES

@faddys123 wrote:

Hi,

I have recently joined Bt from the 18th when my phone service and broadband was activated. The bt home hub came a few days later on the 21st. Before connecting the hub to the computer the day before I was on my BT and I wanted to check out the usage monitor and from the 10GB I receive it said that my current total till the 31st was 9.70GB left, this is impossible because I haven't used the Internet and haven't plugged in the hub, i kept calling bt about the problem but there was no definite answer from them. Now its been 8 days that I have used the Internet since the 21st. I keep checking my usage after the first 3 days it said i used 3gb and now I received an email saying that I have exceed 7gb and I have checked the usage monitor and it says that I have 2.2Gb left. TO be honest with you i was with sky the free broadband package which was 2Gb and I haven't went over the limit once so I cant see how I have spent 7gb in 8 days.I can see on the forum that other members are having the same problem as me, this is unfair and i hope there is a solution to all of this.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Clearly there is something wrong with the usage meter for new connections, and I believe that your information proves it. 300MB, although not large, is still 3% of your package and can't be some form of overhead "before" using it!

I hope you don't mind me asking what you may have been doing, e.g. Skype video chat, Facebook applications etc. If you have not done anything different to when you had Sky then there is a fault (though not sure if their package had any off peak allowance, or didn't include certain items).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 225

Hi,

No I don't use skype, i go on facebook occasionally some of the games for 10 mins, check emails, i have connected via wifi a laptop and smartphone desire s both sync to check emails and on the laptop only broswer a couple of webpages and download PDF files which are like 1mb or so. And watch youtube videos not lengthy ones only 10 or 5 mins long.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 225

Any news ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 225

Hi, i got an email today 30/10/11 saying that i have used more than 7Gb of my 10 Gb,what i want to know is,does using bt vision to watch films on demand count as usage as i am paying £12.50 for the vision unlimited???? so why pay extra for unlimited then get charged more for going over when i know i have'nt?? any one got a clue?? Steve.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 225

Hello faddys123,

May I ask if you realise that Andy_N is a customer just like all of us, he is trying to find out from you why you are using so

much bandwidth, and then he can advise you further. Keep checking your post for when he gets back online to answer.

Patty-L

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 225

@faddys123 wrote:

Hi,

No I don't use skype, i go on facebook occasionally some of the games for 10 mins, check emails, i have connected via wifi a laptop and smartphone desire s both sync to check emails and on the laptop only broswer a couple of webpages and download PDF files which are like 1mb or so. And watch youtube videos not lengthy ones only 10 or 5 mins long.  

Hi again.

Thanks for the info. Your usage seems to be pretty small, but it depends how many youtube videos (and what quality) you watch. Some facebook applications can use many 100s of MB per day - but as long as you exit the applications rather than leave it on, then 10 minutes isn't going to be much.

Also make sure that your smartphone isn't continually polling the internet for all sorts of things.

Sometimes it's quite surprising how much is actually used, and it's very difficult to verify. However keeping daily readings from the router stats, the online usage meter and even PC software meters (not possible with consoles or smartphones) can be useful.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 225

@steve22 wrote:

Hi, i got an email today 30/10/11 saying that i have used more than 7Gb of my 10 Gb,what i want to know is,does using bt vision to watch films on demand count as usage as i am paying £12.50 for the vision unlimited???? so why pay extra for unlimited then get charged more for going over when i know i have'nt?? any one got a clue?? Steve.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

BTVision doesn't count towards the usage. Neither does Digital Vault, BTFon, BBTalk or the onlive games system. Though the Onlive will count after early January 2012.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 225

Should I contact bt about the issue because I feel that I am getting scammed
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 225

Incorrect Broadband Usage

I have been with BT for 4 years and never exceeded my 10Gb usage but October saw me getting the standard warning that I had used 7Gb of my 10Gb usage despite me knowing that I was doing nothing differently at home.

I had to raise 3 complaints to try to resolve the issue.

The first reply was that BT had checked and there was nothing amiss on my broadband - the obvious implication was that it was down to me even though I knew it wasn't.

Over the next few days the usage went up alarmingly - my second complaint brought the suggestion that I should alter all the passwords etc. on my home hub. I did this but still the usage went up.

My third complaint brought the response, interestingly, that technical were aware of various people complaining about this apparent over usage and that their concerns had been passed to a higher authority.

I was then asked if I had signed up to BT Fon (which I had) and it was suggested that I opted out of this as there had apparently been some success with curing over usage by opting out. I did this and the problems seem to have disappeared. I have used 0.5Gb in the first 8 days of this month as opposed to an unprecedented 29Gb last month.

I have now received an email from BT saying I went over my usage last month but (very kindly?) I won't be charged on this occasion. I am challenging this ruling as it does not say how long this over usage will stay on my account (is it just this year or is it permanent?) plus I know that I was not responsible for over usage.

BT appear to be helpful but the underlying explanation is that it is down to me and not to them.

One anomaly I have noticed is that if I do a Google search my home location often changes to somewhere else in the UK nowhere near my home location plus my wireless broadband connection drops out quite frequently now whereas it never used to . Are these factors at all relevant in the alleged over usage problem I wonder?

0 Ratings