cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 91 of 225

Re: The Usage monitor is two days behind - useless

Do you mean that it has finally given yesterday's data at 1500 today (which it has, but hardly anything to break out the Bolly over) or that the entire scammy non-meter has been fixed and in future will give, in the morning, data that is only twelve hours out of date (again nothing to break out the Bolly for)? 

My bad mood is targeted at BT not you, and thanks for your input 🙂

Highlighted
Message 92 of 225

Re: BT Broadband Usage monitor LIES

Oh, I wish I'd seen this before moving to BT... exactly what happened to me too! I was forced to upgrade to 40GB from 10GB as I was told I'd gone over the limit just in three days! Now I'll pay more for an already expensive service... this s.**.t has never happened when with SKY; this is a big scam! Anybody have an idea of what WE can do as consumers to stop this thieving, I can't continue to bear this for another 17 months!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 93 of 225

Broadband 10GB Usage Monitor..............Joke!!!

Hello Folks,

I know this has been an ongoing complaint among BT customers but I am so miffed I thought I'd have a rant.

On the 9th December 2012 I was sent an email stating that I had used more than 7GB of my 10GB allowance, This is impossible as I have been unable to browse online let alone download anything due to a poor install. I had a new line installed on the 16th Nov 2012 and since then have had less than 500kbps download speed. I have called numerous times for this to be investigated and apparently an engineer has been sent out 3 times but I have never heard if anything has been rectified. I was also told that I would be charged £99 for an engineer to investigate which is less than satisfying. The first day I set up my router was the day of line install 16/11/12. I used 5.3GB from the 16/11/12 - 30/11/12 but some how have used more than this 9 days into December! It is now the 16/12/12 and I am informed by your usage monitor that I am now sitting on 21GB and that the monitor will not reset until the 31/12/12. This is outrageous!!! I do not beleive for one second I have used 21GB in 16days I have been with other providers for years and never exceeded 10GB in a month and yet in my first full month with BT I have used double!. I was hoping as the line / contract was installed / started on the 16/12/12 that the usage monitor would reset on this date every month. I have had nothing but hassle since joining BT and the call centre which sounds like it is in India are completely useless and have no clue as to what they are doing, it seems no matter what you say to them, they continuously read from a script oblivious to what it it you are actually complaining about. I have been put through to 4 different advisers, each telling me they were transferring me to the technical dept only to go through the whole process of entering my details into the automated service and starting at square one with customer services. I am only 4 weeks into an 18month contract and I regret ever signing up with BT, I can assure you I will not make this mistake again and I will be sending this exact letter to OFCOM if I do not get some sort of resoloution.

To make matter's worse I am a wireless network engineer and I can't do anything about it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 94 of 225

Re: Broadband 10GB Usage Monitor..............Joke!!!

If you would like to contact one of the UK based BT Care Team who moderate this forum, they should be able to help you.

They can be contacted using this link BT Care Team

They normally respond by phone or e-mail, within three working days, however you should get an immediate confirmation, with a tracking number.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 95 of 225

@Ousy wrote:

Hello Folks,

I know this has been an ongoing complaint among BT customers but I am so miffed I thought I'd have a rant.

On the 9th December 2012 I was sent an email stating that I had used more than 7GB of my 10GB allowance, This is impossible as I have been unable to browse online let alone download anything due to a poor install. I had a new line installed on the 16th Nov 2012 and since then have had less than 500kbps download speed. I have called numerous times for this to be investigated and apparently an engineer has been sent out 3 times but I have never heard if anything has been rectified. I was also told that I would be charged £99 for an engineer to investigate which is less than satisfying. The first day I set up my router was the day of line install 16/11/12. I used 5.3GB from the 16/11/12 - 30/11/12 but some how have used more than this 9 days into December! It is now the 16/12/12 and I am informed by your usage monitor that I am now sitting on 21GB and that the monitor will not reset until the 31/12/12. This is outrageous!!! I do not beleive for one second I have used 21GB in 16days I have been with other providers for years and never exceeded 10GB in a month and yet in my first full month with BT I have used double!. I was hoping as the line / contract was installed / started on the 16/12/12 that the usage monitor would reset on this date every month. I have had nothing but hassle since joining BT and the call centre which sounds like it is in India are completely useless and have no clue as to what they are doing, it seems no matter what you say to them, they continuously read from a script oblivious to what it it you are actually complaining about. I have been put through to 4 different advisers, each telling me they were transferring me to the technical dept only to go through the whole process of entering my details into the automated service and starting at square one with customer services. I am only 4 weeks into an 18month contract and I regret ever signing up with BT, I can assure you I will not make this mistake again and I will be sending this exact letter to OFCOM if I do not get some sort of resoloution.

To make matter's worse I am a wireless network engineer and I can't do anything about it.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Your case seems to be similar to a friend of mine, who's online monitor was showing high figures. You can keep a note of the usage via your router, notwithstading that the online monitor is a day in arrears at midnight. However a daily check on the hub stats can be used as a good comparison.

The problem with my friend was almost certainly something to do with extra recording being applied to her account. However what was done was BTFon turned off via the hub, and possibly via the btfon website. Although BTFon is excluded from the figures, it wasn't this that was recording - but turning it off somehow triggered an admin account change which reset the condition, effectively clearing the problem.

As yet I do not know the real issue, but could have affected many users - possbly forcing them to go for a higher package. My friend was told to do this, but after 9 months the problem eventually went away as I've explained.

Of course by removing BTFon access, this prevents you logging into one of the millions of BTFon hotspots around the UK. If this is not an issue, then go for the change - and then look at the online monitor and your hub stats daily at the same time to see what happens.

(My friend didn't re-apply BTFon, so I don't know if the issue would have re-occured).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 96 of 225

Cheers Andy, I have just opted out of the BTFON as I don't need it, I shall monitor my usage as you say in the hope that there is some difference. All telecomms companies are the same and there is jack S**t we can do about it!

Ousy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 97 of 225

I have been on BT 40GB limit for two or three years now & I consistently use less that half of my allowance, suddenly this  month my usage has not only gone through the roof but into the stratosphere! in less than two weeks I have gone well over THIRTY GIGABYTES OVER my forty GB limit (ie 73 GB)........this is totally impossible.  

BT Tech were very helpfull when I called and assured me that I will not be charged for this over usage, they also gave me a new pass code for my old white router in case anyone was accessing my wifi.

Suspiciously, during this high usage period of about ten days, my  broadband connection has been dropping out numerous times every day and had to be continuously reconnected.

The usage meter supplied by BT is almost useless as it fails to update regularly, the hub monitor usuage is ok but every time the wifi drops out it resets to zero.

I am now very concerned that I cannot adequately check on my daily usage & I am sure BT will not cancell an overuse charge a second time, has anyone any suggestions of how to overcome this problem? If so I would love to hear from you.....Thanks.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 98 of 225

Like many others, I started on BT with a 10 GB limit. For 18 months, I kept well below that but got a good offer to upgrade to 40G and found that 10 was nothing like enough any more. My average crept up to 35 so, when I got Infinity and was offered Unlimited usage for little extra, I chose that. This was in July 2012.

Agin, my average for a couple of months went up but, in October, by the 7th the usage had shot up to 132GB. I rang to check but ended up none the wiser and usage figures eased so that by the end of the month which included downloading Windows 8 on 2 PCs, it was a mere 177GB!

Since then, it has dropped to 50GB in November and likely to be 30GB maximum by the end of this month. My feelings are that any upgrade in allowance makes one less worried about exceeding limits but that some BT figures cannot really be accurate. My experience in October where the figures were so high as to be unattainable as I don't download movies, use BBC iPlayer or any of the accepted heavy users, was that no one was interested as I was on an Unlimited contract - as I was told regularly. True but although we often use more than we think, obvious anomalies do need checking.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 99 of 225

One has to wonder if this is BT's way of subtley inducing us to upgrade our account to allow for these increases and thereby increase our charges.............not that I'm suspicious of course.!!

I notice my 'Package' of unlimited calls etc is no longer avaiailable and probably no longer cost effective for BT!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 100 of 225

Re: Broadband Usage - BT Monitor is totally inaccurate?

Why not do what I did raise a complaint through OFTEL

Robin J Allison CEng, FBCS, CITP, MIEEE, ITU, CITT
0 Ratings