Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 225

Re: Incorrect Broadband Usage

this is a customer help customer community forum and only BT employees are the forum mods

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 12 of 225

Re: BT Broadband Usage monitor LIES

Yes, there seem to be a lot of people having this problem. 6 days into my contract, I had apparently used 7 of my 10GB limit. 6 days later, after hardly looking at the computer at all, this was up to 14GB. I think something is doubling the real figures. I know my usage for the  last month is just over 8GB, but BT says it is 16 and are billing me for the difference. If they don't get it sorted, I'm writing to Ofcom. In fact, I think I'll write to them anyway. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Community Manager - Retired
Message 13 of 225

Hello,

If you want we can look into this for you.

You can get our "Contact us" email address by clicking on my username, under "About me".

Stephanie
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 14 of 225

Similar situation for me too - new BT Broadband customer having come from O2.  NEVER had a warning from them over the last 5+ years and 1st month with BT given a warning for using 80GB against our 40GB allowance!  BT are having a laugh and if this isn't sorted I will be moving away claiming that this is not the service I contracted for!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 225

@hawkeye651tvr wrote:

Similar situation for me too - new BT Broadband customer having come from O2.  NEVER had a warning from them over the last 5+ years and 1st month with BT given a warning for using 80GB against our 40GB allowance!  BT are having a laugh and if this isn't sorted I will be moving away claiming that this is not the service I contracted for!

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

What package were you on with o2 ? The basics package had a 20GB allowance, with reduced speed if going over (with a warning - probably by email).

May I ask when you joined, and what you may have been using your connection for ? A little extra detail will help to determine if there is a problem. E.g. TV streaming/catch-up, skype video chat etc.

There are a lot of reports of new users seeing a really high figure initially.

Have you checked the online usage meter to see what that is showing (the meter is in arrears, and updated daily - so look to the left of the scale to see the date/time). For a quick access to the meter, see my shortcuts (link below) options 14d-14g.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 16 of 225

I, too, have a similar problem. I moved over to BT about three months ago (option 1). I have never used anywhere near 10GB with my previous ISP, then suddenly I received an email yesterday saying that I used more than 7GB of my allowance. On checking, it seems that I had used 15.5GB by the 11th Nov and when I checked this morning this had increased to 18.6GB!

As I barely sync at 3200 kb and get something like 2.5 Mb max throughput, it is pretty hard to use over 3GB a day.

Unfortunately I do not use the HomeHub so cannot easily get stats from the router. However, I use WPA2 security and live in the countryside, so there aren't any other houses within wifi range or even a pavement outside the house, so I can't see that it is possible that anyone is stealing my bandwidth.

Any thoughts on what action I can take? This just doesn't seem to make sense and the same issue seems to be appearing for lots of people...

Thanks,
Daryl

EDIT: I have now discovered how to get usage figures out of my Netgear DG834G it is is clear that, since the last reset (on the 30th October), I have only used 4.7 GB, so the BT figures are pure nonsense. On this basis I will be demanding that BT allow me to leave my contract without any penalty as they clearly have inadequate systems for monitoring usage and charging extra fees.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 225

@ucfadll wrote:

I, too, have a similar problem. I moved over to BT about three months ago (option 1). I have never used anywhere near 10GB with my previous ISP, then suddenly I received an email yesterday saying that I used more than 7GB of my allowance. On checking, it seems that I had used 15.5GB by the 11th Nov and when I checked this morning this had increased to 18.6GB!

As I barely sync at 3200 kb and get something like 2.5 Mb max throughput, it is pretty hard to use over 3GB a day.

Unfortunately I do not use the HomeHub so cannot easily get stats from the router. However, I use WPA2 security and live in the countryside, so there aren't any other houses within wifi range or even a pavement outside the house, so I can't see that it is possible that anyone is stealing my bandwidth.

Any thoughts on what action I can take? This just doesn't seem to make sense and the same issue seems to be appearing for lots of people...

Thanks,
Daryl

EDIT: I have now discovered how to get usage figures out of my Netgear DG834G it is is clear that, since the last reset (on the 30th October), I have only used 4.7 GB, so the BT figures are pure nonsense. On this basis I will be demanding that BT allow me to leave my contract without any penalty as they clearly have inadequate systems for monitoring usage and charging extra fees.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

If I may say initially, it's hard to compare usage figures against a router stats, because router stats may not always record everything and may need setting up. However that's not to say they could be wrong.

At a download speed of 2.5Mbps, you can actually reach 3GB in about 3.5 hours.

Who was your previous ISP ? Some other ISPs don't actually count "out of hours" usage, so it's hard to compare that as well.

I must say that you do seem to be joining an ever increasing list of recently joined people who have had greater than expected usage.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 18 of 225

I am having a similar problem. I joined BT on the 27th of October. I have  had an email saying I have used over 7gb of my monthly usage, with a warning about charges if i go over 10gb for 2 months. I don't believe I have used anything like that, but I can't check it because I can't find my account number anywhere. Any suggestions as to what I can do? In my 5 years or so with Tiscali/Talktalk I never had a problem like this.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 225

@audrey6403 wrote:

I am having a similar problem. I joined BT on the 27th of October. I have  had an email saying I have used over 7gb of my monthly usage, with a warning about charges if i go over 10gb for 2 months. I don't believe I have used anything like that, but I can't check it because I can't find my account number anywhere. Any suggestions as to what I can do? In my 5 years or so with Tiscali/Talktalk I never had a problem like this.

one think to bear in mind is that Bt useage adss both downloads and uplaods in to it so there will be extra useage from that

also untill about may this year TT didnt actually enforce download limits

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 20 of 225

There is definitely something going wrong with BT's usage figures, after months of my Hub and Networx stats balancing with BT I have a difference of 0.76 GB in BT's favour just on yesterday's usage Smiley Mad

Del.

0 Ratings