cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
14,830 Views
Message 21 of 225

Re: BT Broadband Usage monitor LIES

Andy_N: thanks for you reply. I'm quite interested in what you said about router stats not recording anything: what type of things would the router log not pick up?

 

I've been piping my router stats into a log for the past couple of days and the difference between what BT say I've used and what the router says is frightening. I'm going away for a few days so will be interested to see what BT claims is happening whilst I know that there is no usage at all.

 

I'll then call BT next week and see (if I can actually speak to anyone who can do anything) see what they have to say.

 

Daryl

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
14,825 Views
Message 22 of 225

Re: BT Broadband Usage monitor LIES


@ucfadll wrote:

Andy_N: thanks for you reply. I'm quite interested in what you said about router stats not recording anything: what type of things would the router log not pick up?

 

I've been piping my router stats into a log for the past couple of days and the difference between what BT say I've used and what the router says is frightening. I'm going away for a few days so will be interested to see what BT claims is happening whilst I know that there is no usage at all.

 

I'll then call BT next week and see (if I can actually speak to anyone who can do anything) see what they have to say.

 

Daryl


Hi again Daryl.

 

Well depending on the router, it may be possible to filter certain reported stats. Although it should record everything, but there could be a setting option to display a subset of usage stats.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
15,688 Views
Message 23 of 225

Re: BT Broadband Usage monitor LIES

 


@Andy_N wrote:

Hi again Daryl.

 

Well depending on the router, it may be possible to filter certain reported stats. Although it should record everything, but there could be a setting option to display a subset of usage stats.


That makes sense. I'm using a Netger DG834G which seems, when you telnet in, to give you all the traffic that has gone out through the ppp0 connection (i.e. out the WAN). For some reason it seems to reset itself now and again (perhaps the connection drops?), but I am logging incremental changes to a log file every 30 minutes, so after a few days I should have a complete record of exactly what is coming on going. It would be fasinating to compare this record with BT's hourly log, but I doubt they would ever give me the data.

 

Now I wish I hadn't left my old ISP. On the whole, I have always used small ISPs in the past which meant that a) someone answered the phone, b) it was usually the same person, and c) they actually cared about solving problems for individuals. I rather doubt I'll get any of that with BT....

 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
15,664 Views
Message 24 of 225

Re: BT Broadband Usage monitor LIES

Hi

 

I am another new user who has been caught out by unreasonably high broadband usage figures. I have been with BT since November 5th and apparently have already used over 7Gb of data - apart from two 1 hour epsiodes of a documentary from iplayer, it has only been e-mail and light browsing.

Where has it all gone. I have already had a reminder that I may exceed my limit.

What can be done to resolve this as it appears to be a common problem. I am beginning to keep a record.

 

Thanks

 

 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
15,659 Views
Message 25 of 225

Re: BT Broadband Usage monitor LIES


@djh22 wrote:

There is definitely something going wrong with BT's usage figures, after months of my Hub and Networx stats balancing with BT I have a difference of 0.76 GB in BT's favour just on yesterday's usage Smiley Mad

 

Del.


Just a quick update on this -

I now think the 0.76 GB difference is from my son's Laptop before I managed to install Networx on it as over the last two day the BT usage balances exactly with my Hub stats,Networx and BB monitor's stats as my screenshots demonstrate -

 

Usage 15_11_11.jpg

 

 Usage 16_11_11.jpg

 

 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
15,642 Views
Message 26 of 225

Re: BT Broadband Usage monitor LIES

Hi  I am anew customer with bt BB and Phone and when I recently moved into my new house I was told when purchasing my BB package that to do online gaming I would be best suited to the 40 GB a month package and if I was to play online gaming for 12 hrs a day for 30 days this would be more than engh. So I went ahead and took that package for the first 5 days of the bb being installed I was away from home and when I came back I prob played about 4 - 6 hrs  a day for about a total of 15 days.Then I received an email warning me I was close to my GB usage I ignored this and about a week later I recieved a letter saying I had reached 70GB 😮 so I phoned right away and explained I had hardley used it at all and apon bt further investigating it they told me that one of my neighbours nearby was hacking into my wireless (witch I was under the impression it was secure)so he told me to leav it on for one week witch I did and they would be in touch within 1 week.

no one got back to me so I phoned up and inqired and bt said they had no record of such a call and that it was impossible to hack wireless (yeh rite) so all they kept doing was pass me about and try and get me to upgrade my BB so after an hour of shouting down the phone demanding to knw what was going on they pased me agiain to customer support and they said they will look into it any one got any ideas WTF  is going on 🙂 thanks.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
15,634 Views
Message 27 of 225

Re: BT Broadband Usage monitor LIES


@cdeeks wrote:

Hi  I am anew customer with bt BB and Phone and when I recently moved into my new house I was told when purchasing my BB package that to do online gaming I would be best suited to the 40 GB a month package and if I was to play online gaming for 12 hrs a day for 30 days this would be more than engh. So I went ahead and took that package for the first 5 days of the bb being installed I was away from home and when I came back I prob played about 4 - 6 hrs  a day for about a total of 15 days.Then I received an email warning me I was close to my GB usage I ignored this and about a week later I recieved a letter saying I had reached 70GB 😮 so I phoned right away and explained I had hardley used it at all and apon bt further investigating it they told me that one of my neighbours nearby was hacking into my wireless (witch I was under the impression it was secure)so he told me to leav it on for one week witch I did and they would be in touch within 1 week.

no one got back to me so I phoned up and inqired and bt said they had no record of such a call and that it was impossible to hack wireless (yeh rite) so all they kept doing was pass me about and try and get me to upgrade my BB so after an hour of shouting down the phone demanding to knw what was going on they pased me agiain to customer support and they said they will look into it any one got any ideas WTF  is going on 🙂 thanks.


Hi. Welcome to the forums.

 

Have you checked the online usage meter ? See my shortcuts (link below) options 14d-14g - hopefully one will work for you. Keep a daily check.

 

I don't know how much gaming uses, but if you downloaded one or more, these are often huge 10GB packages or more. I'm actually surprised that you received a letter for over usage. I'm also surprised to hear you may have been informed a neighbour may have hacked in after "further investigation". There is actually no way of confirming that. WPA2 is pretty much impossible to hack in as a wireless connection.

 

If you received a letter of 70GB usage, then this will clearly have been a while before receipt ...

 

However as you are a new user, this adds to the other new users who have had a larger than expected usage figure.

 

There are some reasons that could explain this - some being a slight misunderstanding of the amount being used, and if coming from another ISP there may be different usage allowances, some not counted during certain periods.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Newbie
15,578 Views
Message 28 of 225

Re: BT Broadband Usage monitor LIES

Hello,

 

I am also a new broadband customer and seem to read our own story here repeatedly! We changed from another ISP on the 1st of November and on the 12th received a message that we had used over 7GB of our 10GB limit. As we are only light users, no games, videos or heavy downloads, I called BT on the 13th to complain. I was told that of my current usage usage 4.5GB were Uploads and 2.2GB Downloads (which, of course, doesn't even add up to 7GB...). As we weren't uploading anything big, I guess the Upload figure is the problem!

 

I was also told -shockingly- that if we weren't responsible for the usage then someone else was hacking into our account and that I should change the name and password of our internet connection, which we did. Since then I have been monitoring the usage on the BT Broadband Monitor and -Surprise!- our usage since then was just over 1GB. This was what we were expecting (1GB per week) and also corresponds to the 2.2GB Downloads for the first 12 days. I also downloaded NetMeter to check the usage on my Laptop, and the figures are similar. The ratio between Downloads and Uploads is also reverse, in the last week I had 360MiB Downloads vs. 60MiB Uploads, which makes much more sense.

 

To sum it up: I would recommend anyone with these problems to call BT to complain and to get from them the breakdown between Uploads and Downloads, to change the Login Name and Password for your HUB and to monitor your usage with an independent tool.

 

I hope we can all resolve this problem quickly and without getting overcharged!

 

Beba

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
15,449 Views
Message 29 of 225

Re: BT Broadband Usage monitor LIES

 

 

""

Hi  I am anew customer with bt BB and Phone and when I recently moved into my new house I was told when purchasing my BB package that to do online gaming I would be best suited to the 40 GB a month package and if I was to play online gaming for 12 hrs a day for 30 days this would be more than engh. So I went ahead and took that package for the first 5 days of the bb being installed I was away from home and when I came back I prob played about 4 - 6 hrs  a day for about a total of 15 days.Then I received an email warning me I was close to my GB usage I ignored this and about a week later I recieved a letter saying I had reached 70GB :smileysurprised: so I phoned right away and explained I had hardley used it at all and apon bt further investigating it they told me that one of my neighbours nearby was hacking into my wireless (witch I was under the impression it was secure)so he told me to leav it on for one week witch I did and they would be in touch within 1 week.

no one got back to me so I phoned up and inqired and bt said they had no record of such a call and that it was impossible to hack wireless (yeh rite) so all they kept doing was pass me about and try and get me to upgrade my BB so after an hour of shouting down the phone demanding to knw what was going on they pased me agiain to customer support and they said they will look into it any one got any ideas WTF  is going on :smileyhappy: thanks.

""

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hi i now have resovled my issue with BT as one of there managers looked into the problem.

i was told that she could not find the record of the sales person /or persons that sold me the 40GB package and said it was plenty for online gaming. niether could they find the phonecall about the BT person or persons telling me that my wireless was possibly being hacked. So the manager agreed to upgrade me to the unlimited package for free(now costs less each month) and assured me that i could do online gamming with that. or i could have opted out of my contract with no termanation fees.

 

as i am glad this matter has hopefully come to a close and i have got a good deal i still wonder what went on and if they need to retraine some staff at BT cause the way they handled my matter to begin with was not proffesional at all.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
15,424 Views
Message 30 of 225

Re: BT Broadband Usage monitor LIES

I've just commented on an old thread but similar problems here. I've been with BT for a couple of years now but suddenly my usage has rocketed, from about 20-30gb to apparently 57gb last month, my limit is 40gb.

 

I am monitoring via the bt usage every day what BT says I've used, but must admit I'm not sure how to monitor with another programme, as I'm a bit confused whether the laptop connects directly to the homehub or through the main pc, and therefore how to monitor what the actual homehub is being used for.

 

I have changed my username and password but as it's rural here I don't think it's that which is the problem. Our internet habits have not changed lately.

 

Watching with interest...

Jessica

0 Ratings