Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 31 of 225

Re: BT Broadband Usage monitor LIES

Hi Jess and welcome to the forum.

It would help us advise you better if you could post back a description of your set up,for example how many PC's ,games machines you have and anything else you use over the internet and how they connect to the Hub.

Del.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 32 of 225

Hiah

Thanks for the reply.

I have a main pc, that until recently was on a lot of the time, and that's wired into the hub which is next to it. I also have a laptop which connects wirelessly. Nothing else connects (the wii lost it's settings after I did something but it doesn't matter).

Me and the kids use the internet a fair bit but our habits have not changed, youtube, facebook, bbc iplayer, and the occasional game from my 12 year old son. We used to stick below 20gb but when we got the laptop it crept over, so I increased to 40gb which has been fine. Until last month when unexpectedly it was 57gb.

This month I have been monitoring it since the 8th, and turning off the broadband via the hub manager when I don't use it. I have checked both machines and they have virus scanning software active and up to date, and have spy bot. I have changed the password on the hub. I cannot see why the useage is so high. To be honest I'm surprised it's hit 30gb so far this month, considering how little it's been used.

It's a right pain in the neck as the kids can't watch bt on demand when the broadband is off.

I haven't yet managed to dig out the paperwork to find out how to contact BT and quite frankly life is way too hectic to do so, but any help would be hugely appreciated. It's a real nuisance having to disconnect all the time.

Is that enough information for starters?

Thanks

Jessica

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 33 of 225

Thanks Jess, yes that is a good description. Seeing as you only have the two machines that connect to the internet I think Networx would be ideal for you to monitor your usage on each machine,Download it from here 

http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/ and install a copy on each machine, the program will record the daily usage on each machine like this from my copy  -

Networx.jpg

You can then compare BT's usage monitor with the usage according Networx.

Networx should be ready to go once you've installed it but just make sure the option to start with Windows is checked so that you have a constant record.

Let us know If you need further help.

Del.

Edit - Just had a thought - Could you please elaborate a bit about the Wii losing it's setting,just in case it's relevant and advise whether you have BT Vision.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 34 of 225

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I've downloaded Networx and installed on the main machine just now. I'll do the laptop in a minute.

Will it be obvious the distinction between one machine connecting with the other ie accessing documents and the machines accessing the internet?

The wii lost it's settings when we upgraded from 20gb to 40gb, presumably something was reset somewhere when we got that change applied, but it was a long time back ie over a year ago, and the wii is rarely used. I haven't been bothered to reconnect that.

I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days, see how it compares with BT...

Thanks

Jessica

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 35 of 225

Hi,

You can tell Networx to ignore local network traffic, just go into settings and at the bottom of the main tab you'll see a tick box "Ignore local traffic with Lan" just make sure it's ticked.When you have Networx set up on both machines go to the Advanced tab and tick the box at the bottom under Synchronisation which says "Synchronise other data etc" this will allow you to see a break down of usage on the individual machines.

I think it's safe enough to ignore the Wii problem for now.

Best,

Del.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 36 of 225

Hi I found this forum when I was looking for reasons why suddenly increased usage. I have been on 10gb package for years and no problems until a couple of months ago. I have a desktop, a laptop and an iPad, but I am te only user in the house. I do not use broadband for films, games or to watch tv. Just emails and occasional download of book or iPad ap which are not big . After two months when nearly topped, last month went over dispite fact I was away from home for three weeks! Initially I convinced myself increase was due to - computer software updates, eg anti virus and windows on new laptop and large iPad update. Last month I uploaded about 500 mb photos to photo printing site and manipulated them within their site to make a book. Can anyone confirm that this might multiply up the usage to as much as 10gb? This month I am horrified my usage has reached 2.7gb in by 7 dec. I was away from home until late on 2 dec at which point I retired to bed with flu. I have hardly used the Internet at all apart from a few emails, looking up a few books on Amazon, and 30 mins BBC iplayer. I reckon this should total approx 0.5 gb max. What is happening. I am seriously concerned. When I started using the usage monitor my 'normal daily ' usage was showing as about 0.05 . Why has this increased tenfold? I almost imagine it is being manipulated in some way to force me to upgrade to an unlimited package. Lizb
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 37 of 225

Hi,

having just read through this thread I note the absolute and total absence of BT once questioning their methods, whilst suggesting that other peoples' and other large companies' are not really to be taken at face value.

I will repeat what I posted, roughly - I can't remember it exactly now and can't be bothered finding it, back when I first started my BT BB contract. FYI - I have phone, BB Option 1 and the top Vision option.

The early hours of my contract start date I received an email telling me I had gone over 7GB - the warning threshhold for Option 1 - an email I saw about 7-8 hours LATER after the postman had delivered my router and I had set it up. Also, for those like me who have a suspicious mind, at around the same time as the postman arrived, again iirc, I received a text msg telling me I wouldn't need the engineer in my home and that my broadband was now live.

So, I looked online and found the usage meter and this site - I thought I needed to do something as the meter showed some 9.3GB - i.e. 0.7GB remaining for about 15days as I'd joined mid month.

Posting here and attempting to talk to those answering the phone, I realised I was a very very special person I was obviously able to time travel or some such nonsense. The irrefutible facts that one came before the other, defying cause and effect in the process, meant nothing to these people.

I have to admit that in the end I said expletive it and kept an eye on it; the first time you go over the limit you aren't charged, so I hadn't really lost anything as I don't usually donwload much and am unlikely to genuinely overstretch....unless I'm time travelling, of course.

This does really annoy me though, as there are obviously many many new BT customers for whom this causes annoyance and costs.

The fact that I have never seen the monitor record anything but a figure that looks spot-on since then only ADDS to MY CERTAINTY that there is a flaw, probably in the way accounts are activated and not the fairly simple measuring system,

But you try and get anyone at BT to listen......I mean, I just had two months of around 0.7Mb connection which prompted SEVEN engineer's visits for the last one to say it was a simple DP problem that took him 5 minutes to fix. And now they seem surprised, no horrified even, that I am unwilling to accept £20 credit for the loss of £80ish of service.....

Is it just me? Maybe it is.....could be an inadvertent side effect of all that 'digital time-travelling', huh?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 38 of 225

Hi

Just coming back to you on this.

Last month I kept a close eye on it and we ended the month with only 6.21gb left of our 40gb, and that was with the internet being turned on for only a few hours a day, normal usage.

This month I'm monitoring it, along with networx, and the usage is nearly the same - last night said I'd used 14gb which is almost the same as last month. And this worries me as we're in school holidays now, and the kids want to go online.

It took me a week or so into Dec before I ticked the box on the laptop's networx to synchronise it with the other pcs, and I'm not sure whether to trust the figures I'm getting. Do I need to just count the usage on the main pc or do I have to count the laptop individually?

I have also been on the pc one time when networx decided to stop working, and I didn't realise till the morning after, when I looked through the hourly rates it stopped at about 7pm and I was online myself till about 11pm on fb, youtube etc. I am not sure if there have been more instances of it stopping to track my usage, so I'm a bit wary to trust it.

Anyhow this morning BT is telling me I've used 14.65gb. The networx on this machine is telling me 10.5gb but that might just be for this one machine, if that's how it works?

It's really annoying that I'm having to monitor this so closely, I used to just leave it on 24x7, what else is going on? Is it BT not recording my usage properly or is something using up all my broadband that wasn't previously? Aaargh!!

Any thoughts appreciated!!!
Jessica

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 39 of 225

If Synchronise data is ticked on Networx and you go to Usage stats and make sure the radio button is on "All users" the total given will be for all the computers you have Networx installed on so long as you have all your computers on when you read the stats.

Del.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 40 of 225

Yes it is, thanks. Though if I hadn't selected that option on the laptop till some point during dec then I wouldn't be getting the true total usage for dec from just the main pc would it as it wouldn't know about the laptop's usage earlier in the month?

0 Ratings