Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 51 of 225

Re: BT Broadband Usage monitor LIES

@paw400 wrote:

I'm glad I found this forum,makes me feel better as both my adult daughters and son in law with their iphones,laptops,ipad my Blackberry, all spent time with us through December and my usage has gone way over the 10GB which I didn't think could be right as only 2 rental movies were downloaded.

Has anybody else's usage gone up after declining telesales calls??

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Frankly it's not unlikely for usage to uncrease over holiday periods, especially when hosting vistors and allowing access to the wi-fi system.

The usage is not all about downloading anything, which may be a confusing way to think of the usage. Downloads clearly count, but so does normal access such as video chatting, uploads - tv streaming, facebook applications etc. Giving access to your wi-fi to users can easily bust any small allowance.

Movie rental downloads could easily be many GB of data, depending on where they came from and quality.

Pardon me for saying, but I'm not sure what your last sentence is referring to.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 52 of 225

I too have just signed up to the BT Winter offer and must admit now feel trapped as the sales blurb shows BT 'Total Broadband' / Unlimited Calls for £16 per month. I had looked at this as unlimited broadband being a 'Total' solution but then found I had to call and upgrade within a week to the 40Gb rate as I had somehow used 4Gb in a weekend so would easily go over 10Gb and wanted to avoid the charge. There was no option to cancel my contract because the service had started and now I think I'm trapped for 18 months!. I had asked my previous provider (AOL) to let me have usage statistics but they told me they were unavailable.

Anyway, given all the mentions above of the BT Usage Monitor (and I too have my doubts as to it's validity) does anyone know, given the level of public mistrust in it, if it has been independently verified as accurate by someone such as Ofcom? 

One of the other reasons I ask is that from the point of switch over to BT, over 4 days I had 'used' 4.83Gb according to the usage meter yet on the BT home hub - Internet connection statistics it shows Data Transmitted / Received as 0.9 /1.1 - a total of just 2Gb (neither counter had been reset) - any idea why the difference?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 53 of 225

Well the good news is that it's not effecting everyone - I run Networx usage monitor and Tbb usage monitor, I also read the usage stats of of the Hub each day and my usage figures always agree with BT's online usage monitor.

Imo it seems to be effecting new customers and customers that have had work done on the exchange equipment.

I'll repeat what I keep saying - Keep your own records of your usage so that you can prove to BT that their records of your usage is wrong.

Del.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 54 of 225

It's flawed. There is nothing you can do about it. My advice would be to use your BT FON only and don't touch the normal BT internet, otherwise I guarentee you will have extra to pay every month no matter how little you use it. It's your word against there's and they won't admit they are wrong. As soon as your contract is up, move.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 55 of 225

They fixed it for me back in Feb 2011 after I sent them some screen prints of my actual usage, it's been spot on ever since.

See this thread-  http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/BT-usage-monitor-differences/m-p/108957/highlight/true#M...

Del.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 56 of 225

@tomhirvin wrote:

It's flawed. There is nothing you can do about it. My advice would be to use your BT FON only and don't touch the normal BT internet, otherwise I guarentee you will have extra to pay every month no matter how little you use it. It's your word against there's and they won't admit they are wrong. As soon as your contract is up, move.

Hi.

If I may interject, the system is not as you say.

However in your case, and a number of other cases, there is clearly something wrong. It could easily be something as simple as a number incorrectly entered onto a database for your usage monitor, and hence picking up another user's usage details. A poster a few months ago indicated that this may have happened.

Please contact the moderators to get your particular problem looked at.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 57 of 225

I totally agree with Andy_N contact the mods at this link
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 58 of 225

If only life were that simple. Having emailed BT at least 3 times they call me back and simply say there is nothing wrong with my router. There is an implication that I am lying and I have actuallly used 120gb of data instead of around 6gb which is what I was averaging before this issue arose last September.

I note that they have just changed their usage monitor and I wonder if it is anything to do with this issue?

It is too early to tell at this stage, but I am going to bet that my usage in the next month will be what I expect it to be rather than over 100gb more. Not that they will ever admit there was an issue. At least I wasn't charged but some poor customers have been charged every month.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 59 of 225

@tomhirvin wrote:

If only life were that simple. Having emailed BT at least 3 times they call me back and simply say there is nothing wrong with my router. There is an implication that I am lying and I have actuallly used 120gb of data instead of around 6gb which is what I was averaging before this issue arose last September.

I note that they have just changed their usage monitor and I wonder if it is anything to do with this issue?

It is too early to tell at this stage, but I am going to bet that my usage in the next month will be what I expect it to be rather than over 100gb more. Not that they will ever admit there was an issue. At least I wasn't charged but some poor customers have been charged every month.

Hi again.

The usage monitor change can't be the issue, otherwise it would affect everyone.

Are you keeping a daily note on your usage via the monitor ? Your recent figures clearly show something is badly wrong.

I've an idea which may help the moderators investigate the matter. In the hub settings, there is a Broadband user name. This defaults to something like bthomehub@btbroadband.com

@Although this is effectively ignored (apart from the @btbroadband.com), if you alter it to say something unique - e.g. your initials followed by the date and time you change it, then contact the moderators - tell them this username, and maybe they can then search the system for the unique name, match it with your connection ID (probably based on your phone number) and do other cross checks with other systems such as the usage monitoring. It may be of no help, but it could be a start.

Depending on the hub you've got, for a HH2 you need to login to http://bthomehub.home, then you will need to disconnect (via a button, under Settings/Advanced/Internet). When you Connect again, it should give you the choice to amend the username - so put in abc180220120915@btbroadband.com. The password is ignored, so either leave blank or enter anything you like.

Then contact the moderators :-

Moderation Team Email Address: please fill out the "contact us" below.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

giving them the details of your new username and that the usage monitor is recording wrongly.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 60 of 225

Broadband Usage - BT Monitor is totally inaccurate?

There are 4 devices that connect to the internet in our household - all have a bandwidth monitor installed. Every day for over a month I have recorded each devices usage and then compared it against the reported usage shown on the BT monitor. Needless to say, the BT usage is considerably higher. So far in June, BT monitor is showing 12.8GB used, the total of the 4 devices monitors is 3.8GB. I have contacted BT, via Live Chat, to no avail. In fact it has been pretty useless. Today I was transferred from Billing to Technical (going through 5 advisors), before being transferred back to Billing, who then wanted to transfer me back to Technical. At this point I gave up! Can anyone tell me why the usage is so different?

Thanks

0 Ratings