cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 61 of 225

Re: Broadband Usage - BT Monitor is totally inaccurate?

welcome to the forum

if you use the search facility there are numerous posts on this subject which may help you.  this is one  http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/BT-Broadband-usage-allowance-estimate/td-p/491729

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 62 of 225

do your bandwidth monitor record the upload amounts as well as BT usage includes upload and download it the calculations
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 63 of 225

Yes they do. The totals I'm recording are both upload and download. I have been with BT for just over a month, I was on a 30GB limit with my previous supplier for 6 years and never exceeded this limit. The usage within the household has not increased, we never download films etc and the biggest usage will be my youngest, who will use Skype (not vidoe call) + Minecraft. However, I do not allow him to do this for more than 1.5 hours a day at most. As an example - 7th June - BT usage Monitor shows 3.56GB, the total of my monitors show 0.74GB.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 64 of 225

Craigali,

Have you also monitored the data usage recorded by your router ? This is the best credible evidence to use when discussing this problem with BT. Bandwith monitors are not usually convincing evidence.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 65 of 225

Is this found in the HomeHub Manager: Advanced Settings/Broadband/Internet?

If so mine currently shows the following:

Connection Time: 20 days

Data Transmitted/Received(Gb)1.5/0.9

These figures don't look right either - am I looking at the correct settings?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 66 of 225

If your home hub is 3 type A, it may well be suffering the same sickness as mine!!!! In that the hub received data will reset itself back to 0 at varying times!  BT are aware of the issue and thought it had been fixed, apparently its some sort of binary issue, I am waiting at present for more info from the team.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 67 of 225

@CB75 wrote:

If your home hub is 3 type A, it may well be suffering the same sickness as mine!!!! In that the hub received data will reset itself back to 0 at varying times!  BT are aware of the issue and thought it had been fixed, apparently its some sort of binary issue, I am waiting at present for more info from the team.

It's not only HH3. I have HH2 with the same issue. It's been discussed in the forums and the conlusion I go with is that Home Hub is not a reliable data counter over an extended period because the counter is subject to random reset even though the Hub itself has stayed up.

If anyone still doubts that, have a look at this taken just now and bear in mind that we use four devices and watch a little iPlayer via the TV: 

Hub Traffic.JPG

163MB in a month? I don't think so!

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 68 of 225

Yep thats the problem!!!

I have just downloaded Networx to give me some other figures, and have just walked into the problem of the HH3 not supporting SNMP!!!

I think I am going to borrow a different router for a few days just to see the difference.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 69 of 225

Reply to last two posts. (CB75 and pottyperson.)

My homehub2 last reset itself 11 days ago.

On the homehub - home page the listing under "Internet", in advanced options, showed that it had been connected for 10 hours, and the usage counter was low, probably resetting at that time..

The listing under the "ADSL", page showed that it had been connected for approx 42 days.

I reported this to " scorpio " at the time, as we were discussing another issue.

The reset time coincided with an electric shower being either switched on or off, at least I think. Nothing else which is heavy duty is used at that time.

The hardware designers out there in the forums will understand that this could be a clue as to what is going on.

Can't say much as I don't know too much detail about telephone systems, or the hub circuit for that matter. I don't know how the hub interfaces with the telephone line or power supply.

But it does not seem to interfere with the overall hub performance, and the hub carries on working..

However there remains the problem that the BT monitor is at question in the main post of this topic.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 70 of 225

Re: BT Broadband Usage monitor LIES

Also Think I Am Being Over charged on my broadband usage

john46 wrote:
I totally agree with Andy_N contact the mods at this link
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

0 Ratings