cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 71 of 225

The Usage monitor is two days behind - useless

I have the 10GB option but cannot find out how much I've used other than a two day old figure.  This means I never know whether I can dowload a Sky movie, or other large download within my plan, and I never know whether I am close to my limit or not.  I phoned BT who suggested I d/l a usage monitor but that is pointless, as we have a laptop and Sky running from the same router.

One would be forgiven for thinking that this is a deliberate trap to catch customers out.  In view of my forty years of experience of BT I have little doubt 😞

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 72 of 225

Re: The Usage monitor is two days behind - useless

Hi The usage monitor is usually 24 hours behind although it has more  than a few delays of results being posted you can try checking your usage on the home hub manger but it is only accurate if the hub is not restarted

if you are constantly getting close to the usage limit  then you may be better of upgrading to option 2 40gb usage limit 

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 73 of 225

Hi John, thanks for that...I wasn't even aware of the HH Manager and found access details from another of your posts in this forum. I'd reset my HH a few days ago so it wasn't any use on this occasion but nice to know it's there. We're now 0630 on 1st November and my online usage monitor still shows the usage from 23:59 on 30th Oct yet I am now into the new period.

As for increasing my spend to 40GB which I don't need, it's like suggesting that I fit a bigger fuel tank to my car because the gauge is faulty. All I want to know is what I've used. It must be possible and it is one of the things you need to know like:

How much petrol left in your tank
How much money in your bank account

As most of us have devices like Sky boxes, kid's games, mobile phones and laptops on the system it is impossible to work within a set budget without the meter.

I can see no excuse whatsoever, other than to catch out customers.

Anyway, a big personal thank you to you for a prompt reply. When I phoned BT the so-called expert said the only way was to use a downloaded meter on my pc. Which is, of course, utter twaddle. Most input from BT on the phone is utter twaddle.
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 74 of 225

@Lemain wrote:

I have the 10GB option but cannot find out how much I've used other than a two day old figure.  This means I never know whether I can dowload a Sky movie, or other large download within my plan, and I never know whether I am close to my limit or not.  I phoned BT who suggested I d/l a usage monitor but that is pointless, as we have a laptop and Sky running from the same router.

One would be forgiven for thinking that this is a deliberate trap to catch customers out.  In view of my forty years of experience of BT I have little doubt 😞

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

The online usage monitor is not a real time monitor and is updated daily to show the usage for the month up to 23:59 the previous day. It is typically updated after 7.30am.

As John said, the hub does have a stats monitor, but can be prone to reset - e.g. after a connection failiure or power reset. Also as the online monitor is up to 23:59, that needs to be taken into consideration if using the hub to keep a track of real time usage. The hub usage stats can also be used as a daily comparison to the online monitor by keeping note of the figures. The hub will include items such as BBTalk, BTVision, Digital Vault and BTFon - all of these should be excluded from the online monitor.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 75 of 225

Hi Andy, thanks. It's not fit for purpose. How would you like your car's fuel gauge to show what you had in the tank a couple of days before? A gauge that doesn't show fuel used when travelling down minor roads?

What's needed is a reasonably accurate up to the minute indication of what's been used and what's left in the 'plan'.

Southern Electricity have given me a monitor (Onzo) that has a transducer clipped to the meter and wirelessly transmits to a module having a large LCD 60mm square, powered both by internal dry cell or micro-USB connector. The display shows how much power I am using instantaneously and the total used this period, plus a warning when my usage is going off target. They supply it to help people modify their usage (in the case of power, that's to reduce the load on the grid at peak times). Furthermore, whenever I like, I can upload the meter to SE website and compare my stats with others, and see what I have been using during the year.

My bank does similar things, online, and has tools to help me keep within budget.

When John suggested a bigger plan I was surprised! Surely we all need to budget (maybe BT employees don't ... ouch maybe that's cruel and unkind) but we can't all afford to have services that are on unlimited tap but are metered running unless we can monitor our usage somehow.

We also need to be able to look at our usage over the year before we decide it's now worth paying for a bigger plan.

We all do that with our mobile phone usage, surely? Mind you, the Orange metering scheme is usually unavailable and is generally pants....the cynic in me suggests that's because they sell more product (call time off plan is very profitable for them).

Take BT Broadband. Suppose I go over my limit I have to pay £5 for 5GB. Fine, I don't think that's bad value and might choose to do that but if so, I want to make use of that bandwidth....I want to download a couple of Sky programmes or whatever to use the 5GB I have just paid for (de facto, as I have gone off-plan on my usage).

Surely I am not asking for anything unreasonable? I've been an electronics engineer since almost the beginning of modern computers so I understand the issues; it really is not difficult from a technical point of view.

It would, however, reduce BT's revenue.

Thank you personally for your prompt reply.
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 76 of 225

I've got no axe to grind in this because my Option 2 40GB limit is comfortably enough for my usage and it costs not much more than Option 1. But given that BT charges for overuse can be considerable, I'd say that you're not being unreasonable. A more comprehensive monitor would lead to happier customers and give BT proof of additional charges.

It is possible. BT's subsidiary Plusnet has just what you're looking for. Smiley Very Happy

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 77 of 225

Hi my suggestion of changing your option was made to avoid regular over usage charges as to your comments about BT employees i like every one else here apart from the forum moderators are BT Customers just like you

there are also many downloadable usage monitors but they do only relate to the device they are downloaded on
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 78 of 225

Andy_N wrote:snipped

As John said, the hub does have a stats monitor, but can be prone to reset - e.g. after a connection failiure or power reset.

Depending on the hub used, you may also find the hub usage stats reset when it hits 5GB, as mine does, making this method unreliable when monitoring usage.

(Hub3 type A)

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 79 of 225

Thanks, guys...and especially your suggestion, potty. The thing is that we use, according to BT's system, about 7.5GB on average and that's fine for us...why spend another £5 per month on broadband. I know it's "only" £5 but that's what all the marketing people want us to think. All those "only"s is how "they" fly around in corporate biz jets while you and I take the tube or bus using an Oyster card. [/RANT] 🙂

Whether you're subscribing to Option 1 or Option 2 you still want to know that you're getting fair value for your spend and you can only control your use if you have an accurate meter. That seems so blindingly apparent to me that the only reason I can think of why they don't is either because they really do not care about their customers or they are hoping that customers will inadvertently go over the plan limit. Technically it's a no brainer....if Southern Electricity can do it, surely BT can?

Potty, will look at Plus Net -- but I did sign up to BT on an 18 month contract (which they have suddenly increased the price of and never gave me the special six month deal they promised - 'oh dear, we'll do that for you...' but they don't, do they, they never do? Refund has been redacted from their dictionary). So I am somewhat testicularly inhibited with regard to my BT contract.
Highlighted
Guru
Message 80 of 225

The hub also shows packets sent between the Exchange and the router, so is inaccurate. 

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.