cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 81 of 225

Re: The Usage monitor is two days behind - useless

ryant -- Yes, it's pretty pointless judging from all the issues...not least, you'd have to reset it at 23:59 on the last day of every month. I'm often away on business and Mrs L can't muck about with resetting the hub. What we need is a little 'app' or 'widget' that stays open and interrogates something...I presume the hub...for all up and down data, vs the date and time. Why not add the device that drew the bandwidth as well, so you could tell which services are taking your bandwidth? If a developer produced such a device he could offer the basic unit as freeware and more features with a small payment.

Are any of the contributors here up to that, and interested?
Highlighted
Message 82 of 225

Hi I'm new to this forum and joined because I am so fed up with not knowing what my usage stats are - I am on Option 1 and can't really afford option 2 - it's just me and the cat here and I rarely download anything and twice this year have been fined £5 and i rang up the other day and also had an online chat and been fobbed off with this usage mnitor which I have just tried and it's rubbish - i want to know WHEN EXACTLY  I am supposedly doing downloads and if I know I'm not doing them I need to be able to counteract this accusation - I want eveidence!!!!!As you say Southern Electric  can monitor much more closely why can't BT??

Is it beyond the capacity of someone to sort this out??

Is it worth contacting Ofcom??

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 83 of 225

There no prizes for noticing that BT are better off this way.

Highlighted
Message 84 of 225

You might like to install NetMeter

You can rt click the icon in the task bar and see daily, weekly and monthly totals.

It monitors only traffic pertaining to the system on which it is installed.

It doesn't monitor BTVision data.

Have you tried accessing your HomeHub? just enter 192.168.1.254 in the URL field of your browser and hit the Return key. That should show data up and down through the HH. Not sure what versions of the HH do what; mine is quite old (1.5), and the usage since the last boot is displayed on the arrival page (Home page)

I think that the monitoring criteria used by the HH software and the BT Usage monitor must differ. I've just noticed that my HH reads 28GB download since last boot 13 days ago, yet my BT Usage monitor says only 7GB this month. Maybe that was viewing several episodes on the BTVision iplayer, something I've never done before, and they don't register on the BT Usage monitor, but do on the HH.

You could try taking readings - screen shots even better, and Firefox does a great addon called ScrapBook - of your HH data, once or twice a day - log them - time date, amounts - and use those as evidence.

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 85 of 225

@pyramidal333 wrote:

Hi I'm new to this forum and joined because I am so fed up with not knowing what my usage stats are - I am on Option 1 and can't really afford option 2 - it's just me and the cat here and I rarely download anything and twice this year have been fined £5 and i rang up the other day and also had an online chat and been fobbed off with this usage mnitor which I have just tried and it's rubbish - i want to know WHEN EXACTLY  I am supposedly doing downloads and if I know I'm not doing them I need to be able to counteract this accusation - I want eveidence!!!!!As you say Southern Electric  can monitor much more closely why can't BT??

Is it beyond the capacity of someone to sort this out??

Is it worth contacting Ofcom??

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Does your online usage monitor view as expected ? (i.e. it is up to 23:59 the previous day as it's not real time). In order to do a comparison, assuming you may have more than one device in use, you can use the hub stats. However you do need to make a note of the usage each day, say at 10pm. This can be used as a guide with respect to the online meter, making note that the hub stats will be effectively a day ahead. The hub may reset for various reasons, making a direct camparison slightly fallible. However the daily difference can be noted.

Note that it's usage - not just download, so all uploads also count. The online monitor will show the up/down as separate bits.

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 86 of 225

I think that the monitoring criteria used by the HH software and the BT Usage monitor must differ. I've just noticed that my HH reads 28GB download since last boot 13 days ago, yet my BT Usage monitor says only 7GB this month. Maybe that was viewing several episodes on the BTVision iplayer, something I've never done before, and they don't register on the BT Usage monitor, but do on the HH.

Indeed the hub will include usage from BTVision as well as digital vault, BT Talk and BTFon (BTWifi). The online system will exclude these, and hence in my view is one of the reasons the system is not live and shown up to 23:59 the previous day.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 87 of 225

Yet again 😞  Monitor stuck at 28/11/12 on 30th with 2GB out of my 10GB allowance showing.  I'd like to use some of the bandwidth that I have bought and paid for to download a film from Sky but how much have I got left, and no, I don't want to spend another £5 per month or pay £5 I just want to budget within my plan.

I'm up to here with these monkeys.  It is clearly a ruse to make money.  I'll move over to Sky when this contract term comes up for renewal.

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 88 of 225

@Lemain wrote:

Yet again 😞  Monitor stuck at 28/11/12 on 30th with 2GB out of my 10GB allowance showing.  I'd like to use some of the bandwidth that I have bought and paid for to download a film from Sky but how much have I got left, and no, I don't want to spend another £5 per month or pay £5 I just want to budget within my plan.

I'm up to here with these monkeys.  It is clearly a ruse to make money.  I'll move over to Sky when this contract term comes up for renewal.

The monitor is updated every day at midnight, but the update doesn't show in the monitor till the next morning, usually between about 7 and 9am. So it's probably not stuck, just having a lie-in.

[EDIT: Oops, still not up at nearly 10am. Is that what they call the kiss of death? Smiley Sad]

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 89 of 225

Hmmmm...it's now 1115 on 30th and the meter is still stuck at 2359 on 28th.  I think we just have to realise (as if we didn't already) is that the difference between BT and Dell Boy is the size of the scam.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 90 of 225

The usage meter is now updated
0 Ratings