cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brotherxiao
Message 1 of 13

BT Broadband slow 2 weeks after installation

Hi everybody,

I hope somebody might be able to offer assistance, as I've been completely baffled myself.

I subscribed to BT's broadband service and an engineer came to complete the telco installation (brand new building in Docklands) towards the end of August.

The broadband speed was fairly consistent at ~5mbps for the first couple weeks, with no dropoff due to time of day.  A week into September, there was one day where my BT HomeHub kept connecting and dropping connection.  When it would re-establish connection, the broadband speed would be horribly slow.  The day after, the connection was now stable, but the consistent 5mbps speeds down that I received previously were now only intermittent (per speedtest.net).  During evenings, it will frequently dip below 500kbps, barely faster than the 3G dongle that I used while waiting for installation.  I left on holiday for a couple weeks, hoping that the speeds would re-stabilize, but it has not been the case.  I've called BT Broadband support but to no avail.  Apparently, I can have an engineer visit, but at a cost of 90GBP to me!

Any assistance would be appreciated.  I was in temporary housing prior to my current flat, and in the 2 months there, the BT broadband was consistently fast, but that was in SE1.

Connection information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 1:00:47
Downstream7,328 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)8.6 dB / 26.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)30.0 dB / 19.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up)19.8 dBm / 12.4 dBm
  More Details  
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: BT Broadband slow 2 weeks after installation

can you run btspeedtester and post the results

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 13

It lives here Smiley Happy

http://speedtester.bt.com/

Is the router left on 27/7 if not do so

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

0 Ratings
brotherxiao
Message 4 of 13

Hmm I just tried to run it and it came up with a lot of red, followed by a message that I need to change the login name to speedtest@speedtest_domain.  I can see the bthomehub@btbroadband.com login on my BTHomeHub settings, but the password is obscured, and I'm concerned about not being able to reestablish connection if I change the login to the speedtest_domain...

Right now, when I try the BT Speedtest link, it just says that I need to change the login to speedtest_domain and won't let me rerun the test.

0 Ratings
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 13

Dont know what that means the BT tester http://speedtester.bt.com/     just requires a phone number the one your BB is active on I just checked and it is working ok

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btwspeedtest.htm   seems to say that you should only get that message if you are not a BTIBNTERNET customer

Pete31
Contributor
Message 6 of 13

No need to be concerned. There is no password for bthomehub@btbroadband.com. The password is just left blank.

hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 13

See my edit before changing anything  sure you entered the correct line number ?

0 Ratings
brotherxiao
Message 8 of 13

Thanks for the reply.  I changed the login name to speedtest@speedtest_domain and logged back in, but http://speedtester.bt.com won't load.  I changed the login back bthomehub and reconnected, but the BT Speedtester will not load, so I suppose it is a network issue.  I will post the results as soon as I'm able to get it to run.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

do you have the program Java installed?   Btspeedtester will not run unless yo have Java on your system

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
brotherxiao
Message 10 of 13

Here we are.  Not sure why the BT Speedtester would not load before (given my broadband issues, I guess it's not a surprise).  I'm not sure why it ran this time: it displayed green bars.  The last time I ran it an hour ago, there were 2 red bars.

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed

1525 Kbps

0 Kbps7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1525 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :0 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 6500 Kbps

2. Assured Rate Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed

1400 Kbps

0 Kbps600 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1400 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 576-600 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Assured Rate IP profile on your line is - 600 Kbps

0 Ratings