cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 16

Re: BT Broadband suddenly very slow on Mac OS X 10.5.8

Hi again,

Things do not seem to be improving. I am no longer at my parents' house (I live about an hour away) and neither of them are particularly confident doing more technical things so it is difficult to do anything to help them. Is it possible for the forum mods to reset as suggested by John 46? I tried having a BT 'live chat' and the person I chatted with tested the line, agreed it was slow and said he would need to send out a field engineer which might take 48 hours or more. That was on tuesday, now its Friday. I also rang BT customer care on Tuesday, they said that they did have a record of my live chat and that an engineer would be sent out. Today my mum tried ringing BT customer care again who said they had no record of a field engineer being sent. What do I have to do to help my parents? This feels a lot like banging my head against a brick wall. Smiley Mad It doesn't help that my parents are not confident doing much more than basic computing and find it difficult to understand the accent of the people at the BT customer call centre. However they are paying for a broadband service which they can't currently use. To make matters worse I upgraded their OS X software from 10.5 to 10.6 (so that I could run the BT speedtester) but this now means that none of their software works properly because they need to download Rosetta, which they can't do with their practically non-existant broadband connection, they also can't update their system/security software via Apple because it is a large download, which it says will take 160 hours at their current download speed. Please can anyone help me help them?? Please don't post anymore generic replies, I really have tried everything you have suggested so far. I am convinced that the problem is external to my parents' property and therefore there isn't much else I can do...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 16

as I posted before the forum mods will want to see posted here a set of hub stats and and bt speedtests showing at least 3days stable connection as your noise margin is very high  which is your problem needs a stable connection before  they cannot do anything until that time is up and the details posted we can then get you in touch with them

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 16

Hello again,

The hub has been connected since Tuesday and it is now Saturday so that should be 4 days uninterupted stats. I have had my dad run the tests and read the results back to me:

Line State: Connected

Connection Time: 0 day, 1:35:06

Downstream 1152 Kbps

Upstream 448 Kbps

VPI/VCI: 0/38

Type: PPPoA

Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A

Latency Type: Interleaved

Noise Margin 19.1dB/17.0dB

Line Attenuation 65.5 dB/31.5dB

Output power: 16.9/12.0

FEC events 2245/180

CRC events 187/128

The speedtest is now showing an improved download speed of 108KBps

DSL Connection 1.15Mbs (d/s) 448 (u/s)

Ip Profile 135

I am wondering if BT have done a reset since the connection time is only 1:35 despite the hub being powered on and left alone for the past 4 days.

My dad reports a noticable improvement in speed although it is still slow. Is 1.15 Mbs the best it is going to get?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 16

hi your connection speed has improved just leave the hub powered up 24/7 for the next 3/5 days and your IP Profile will rise automatically and this will increase your download speed just a matter of waiting
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 16

Thanks John 46. I'll get back in 3/5 days with latest stats.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 16

ok that will help
0 Ratings