cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DavidM
Message 21 of 34

Re: BT Broadband usage scam??

Hi beenrippedoff,

Thanks for posting. I can look into this for you. Drop me an email with the details. You'll find the "contact us" form in the about me section of my profile. Once I have the details we'll take it from there.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
beenrippedoff
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 34

ombudsman decision

After my ongoing complaint about the outrageous usage claims by BT I escalated my complaint to the ombudsman. I can now reveal they upheld my complaint on the grounds; BT claimed the excess usage is due to all infinity downloads being in HD by default. BT failed to inform me of this and only pointed out the benefits. BT now have to refund l excess charges. Anyone else in this situation should coming to the ombudsman.
0 Ratings
almcwho
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 34

Re: ombudsman decision

Hi All,

I'm a tech savvy user that has been strongly critical of BT in another  usage monitor thread.  I have to admit to 'revising my opinion' (aka 'being wrong') having discussed with a highly technical chap in BT (I'll call him Bob, not his real name).

It turns out that my TV is at fault for a *stupidly* high amount of downloads, and my network monitoring solution through a raspberry pi was inadequate (it didn't log all the data). We are talking about 10 times the amount of expected data!

My TV is an LG 32LD790-ZA running firmware version 3.20.89.  It seems that this is trying to download the same data multiple times when streaming from BBC Iplayer (perhaps other services, but I don't use anything else at the moment).

I haven't yet approached LG, but I noticed a new version of the firmware on their website that may fix the problem.

Bob also explained how the billing system works in summary, and it has very much re-assured me that the BT usage is likely to be correct because it monitors the communication over the line, not through account authentication details or MAC address monitoring. As 'beenrippedoff' indicates his problem was that his device was downloading more data than he expected, as was mine, it is likely the same for others.  Instead of chasing BT for answers, you can be more productive and less cross by tracking down the fault yourself. It does mean learning about networking monitors and installing one in your network, which takes a little bit of knowledge, but it's something you control.

I was very fortunate to have Bob's help - it is highly unlikely that (m)any others will get it.  The only reason I did is because of the way the TV broke.  BT were correct that my network was using the data, and it's not BT's job to fix my TV...

By the time you get here I'm sure it's not what you want to hear, but I hope this helps some people save time arguing with BT as their billing usage is likely correct.

Instead focus on asking 'what on my network is using that much data?'

- a wireless 'piggy back' user using it without your permission.

- a virus infected computer?

- a broken device (like my TV - rare, but obviously it does happen!)

- children downloading data in a way you don't expect

If you think you can answer that and STILL think there's something wrong, then BT can be very helpful!

Good luck resolving your issue!

Al.

beenrippedoff
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 34

Almcwho.
An interesting tale which may well have been your problem. But... In my case the only change was from copper fed broadband to my belkin wireless router to infinity and a bthub3. I was at first told someone had the network key (to the new hub) so it was changed but didn't effect the usage. I was then told it was all my downloads like catchup TV, films, gaming and Skype like apps..... Only we didn't have catchup TV or a smart TV or download films or music or a games... so then where was all this 40gb usage going? They couldn't answer that. I suggested that btw and fon might be the problem but was told it is impossible as the data and record of that data are completely separate. It now turns out that this was untrue and bt have now admitted fon data was being recorded but nor separated from the hub data. This was my contention from the outset, I could not have used the amount they stated with the equipment I had! And even if I did, why did that not happen before infinity. Unfortunately bt refused to answer that claim.
So on my case it wasn't my TV nor my computer nor my android nor my ipad causing the problem.
0 Ratings
almcwho
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 34

Hi beenrippedoff,

@I'm not meaning to argue over your situation, I may have misunderstood when you wrote:

@beenrippedoff wrote:
BT claimed the excess usage is due to all infinity downloads being in HD by default. BT failed to inform me of this and only pointed out the benefits

I took this to mean that you were satisfied that the cause had been your equipment using HD streams as a result of having increased bandwidth.

If BT have miscategorised traffic as yours when it was not, that is not acceptable and I applaud your efforts.

I don't mean to say "BT can't make mistakes with their categorisation", though I believe it is a rare event or the forums will become a lot more than they are now (currently there are a few posts in similar topics everyday, but that has to be a tiny fraction of BT's current capped users).

If users can come to BT saying 'we believe we know what our devices are using, and it doesn't add up' they will get a much quicker and more satisfactory outcome (mainly because arguements like "it's your TV" can quickly be tested and accepted or rejected).

I believe that in the majority of cases most people don't know what their devices use and that causes a number of issues that are possible to avoid.

beenrippedoff
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 34

Hi almcwho, no problem I didn't take your comments to be an argument at all. I cant go j to to much detail but...It's always been my firm argument that I never used the amount of data BT had "recorded" I suggested it was missing reading for some reason and suggested wifi and fon might be the problem. BT categorically denied it was even possible! They suggested it was because of default steaming of HD content despite my not steaming and TV, films or g
0 Ratings
beenrippedoff
Aspiring Contributor
Message 27 of 34

Oops.. cont....Or games. The ombudsman ruled that when i was upgraded to infinity (i didnt ask to be) BT only told me of the benefits and should have informed me of the disadvantages such as higher data usage.
I still maintained I didn't use anything like they suggested. Now it transpires what they said was "imposible" in fact was entirely possible and in fact happened to others.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 34

Can you clarify how you were upgraded to Infinity when you didn't want to be. It is not done automatically such as going from ADSL to ADSL2+ You need to agree to a contract and allow an engineer to install the equipment in your house or at the very least connect up the Homehub 5 yourself.

0 Ratings
beenrippedoff
Aspiring Contributor
Message 29 of 34

Hi gg. Completely out of the blue, BT broadband customers in my street received a letter from BT stating that the street was going to be upgraded free of charge to infinity and to call to arrange a date for the engineer to install eguipment. I called and said I didn't ask for it and didn't want a contract as I was out of contract and thinking of changing supplier. I was told it would be free and it was not a new contract just an upgrade. I was told all the benefits of faster speed etc etc, so I thought great!. I was duly upgraded free with no contract and a hub 3 installed. But I didn't get faster speed if anything it was slower and got much,worse conectivity. So bad infact I called to complain about it almost straight away as i assumed the hub was faulty. Then the usage fiasco started....
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 34

I see, it was a free upgrade that you had to agree to and allow equipment to be installed. They way you first mentioned it it sounded like you were put on Infinity without your knowledge or agreeing for it to be done.

0 Ratings