cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
punchdrunked
Beginner
Message 1 of 34

BT Broadband usage scam??

I am convinced this is a scam – a BT scam at that, and one that has left me very dissapointed.integrity. I once rented out individual rooms in a 3 bedroom house and linked each tenant up to a talk talk plan limited at 2GB – never, not once did I ever go over this 2 gb limit despite one of the tenants regulary downloading games and musi. Fast forward a few years to the commencement of my current contract with BT, initially with a 10GB limit. First month I get an email suggesting that I had used 7GB of my 10GB limit. 2nd month 11GB but no charge as this was my first but threatening a £5 charge if I went over next time. The following month 17GB and a charge of £10. Ok I thought let’s upgrade to Infinity with a 40GB – one month in and barely 3 days before the end of the month I get an email waring that I had already used 35GB of said allowance including 15GB upload – WTF! Given that I work Monday to Friday and only ever surf the internet, how the hell can I be anywhere near the limit? We’ve just had a baby so my Mrs is busy tending to the little one to do anything other than surf on the net. I’ve opted out of Fon and have tried shutting the router down at night and ensure all laptops are shut down when not in use. Talking to the BT support, Apple’s Icloud can be a culprit – who knows. No doubt I’ll go over the 40GB limit next month and incur a charge – it just seems that I have no form of recourse with this obvious scam.

0 Ratings
33 REPLIES 33
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 34

Re: BT Broadband usage scam??

There are a few other complaints similar to yours on the forum. There doesn't seem to be a way of monitoring your usage independently of BT.

Remember that the usage is not just download but also uploads so if you do a lot of cloud backups this will count, also watching BBC iPlayer and such things uses a fair bit. It might be worth considering going onto an unlimited package, I know it costs more money again but at least you won't have to watch what you use and dread the monthly bill coming in and it will probably recoup its cost in a month or so if you are constantly going over..

0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 34

There is some network monitoring available as Freeware which allows you to monitor your usage.

It's called Networx and is available here http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
sjtp
Guru
Message 4 of 34

Networx and similar can be very useful, but only work for a single machine.

You can check using the HomeHub web page http://192.168.1.254/html/settings/a_internet.html

It would be quite easy to write a script to monitor regularly; I'm not aware that one exists.
0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 34

@sjtp wrote:
Networx and similar can be very useful, but only work for a single machine.

Networx on multiple machines can aggregate results across all.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
sjtp
Guru
Message 6 of 34

0 Ratings
mark74
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 34

i had the same problem charged me £17 approx 3 times told me to upgrade even though i knew i had not used that amount i did, then what happened 2 days later unlimited for the same price!!!

As you can expect i was not happy and got no real help either!

0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 8 of 34

Hi punchdrunked,

There are quite a lot of problems with the BT Usage monitor on the Bills & Packages forum, try having a look. 

Have you queried it with BT ?  I got an email one month which claimed I was over 70% of my usage allowance.  I could not work out how this could be and queried it with BT quoting my usgae from my router.  Ever since the monitor has mysteriously been more accurate.

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 34

I don't think any of the homehub's reported the usage correctly.

I'm currently using an ASUS router which gives the following information

asususage.jpg

I did previously use Smoothwall for internet access, which then could report bandwidth used for each device on the network. It also knew if it was internal only or was going out over the wan. If you ever reset the device you never lost the information either, unlike with router's.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 34

@punchdrunked wrote:

I am convinced this is a scam – a BT scam at that, and one that has left me very dissapointed.integrity. I once rented out individual rooms in a 3 bedroom house and linked each tenant up to a talk talk plan limited at 2GB – never, not once did I ever go over this 2 gb limit despite one of the tenants regulary downloading games and musi. Fast forward a few years to the commencement of my current contract with BT, initially with a 10GB limit. First month I get an email suggesting that I had used 7GB of my 10GB limit. 2nd month 11GB but no charge as this was my first but threatening a £5 charge if I went over next time. The following month 17GB and a charge of £10. Ok I thought let’s upgrade to Infinity with a 40GB – one month in and barely 3 days before the end of the month I get an email waring that I had already used 35GB of said allowance including 15GB upload – WTF! Given that I work Monday to Friday and only ever surf the internet, how the hell can I be anywhere near the limit? We’ve just had a baby so my Mrs is busy tending to the little one to do anything other than surf on the net. I’ve opted out of Fon and have tried shutting the router down at night and ensure all laptops are shut down when not in use. Talking to the BT support, Apple’s Icloud can be a culprit – who knows. No doubt I’ll go over the 40GB limit next month and incur a charge – it just seems that I have no form of recourse with this obvious scam.

You're not alone in strongly suspecting that it's a scam. My posts and the posts of many others in the giant 'usage monitor' related thread on the front page will explain why. 

It's not as though we're sat there thinking 'well I could possibly have gone over but I don't think so'...it's more like 'I know for an absolute fact I haven't gone over because I didn't do ANYTHING from a certain point onwards that could possibly bump the usage up.

It's either a shambolically inaccurate system or a deliberate con. Either way, it's nowhere near good enough.

0 Ratings