Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 34

Re: BT Broadband usage scam??

BT's usage monitor is clearly not fit for purpose for some customers; it's a long-standing pest which by now should have been put right. It's also clear that some customers (and I don't mean anyone posting here) have underestimated how much data they have used. But to suggest that a £multi-billion company has set this up to swindle a small number of customers out of a few quid is fanciful indeed.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 34

@pottyperson wrote:

BT's usage monitor is clearly not fit for purpose for some customers; it's a long-standing pest which by now should have been put right. It's also clear that some customers (and I don't mean anyone posting here) have underestimated how much data they have used. But to suggest that a £multi-billion company has set this up to swindle a small number of customers out of a few quid is fanciful indeed.

a small number of customers? know that for a fact do you?

0 Ratings
StewM
Distinguished Guru
Message 13 of 34

.....and you know different?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 34

As I have already said it might be worth considering going onto an unlimited package. For an extra £6 a month, maybe even less if you negotiate, you won't have to watch what you use and dread the monthly bill coming in. It will probably recoup its cost in a month or so if you are constantly going over. An added bonus would be that you also won't need to worry about the conspiracy theories that BT are secretly scamming some of its 6.5 million customers about how much data they are using.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 34

@StewM wrote:

you seem to be misunderstanding. They are not just selecting certain people to scam, but this 'monitor' is innacurate, it's as simple as that. The innacuracy always seems to be in favour of BT, never the customer. It would be nice to look at the monitor and be shocked at how little I've supposedly used when I know that I've used more. But never the case. Strange hey. And isn't it funny there is no breakdown of usage, so you just can only accept the reading. 

Updates take forever, then happen 3 times in one day

Mystical usage additions appear when you have purposely refrained from doing anything to cause it

It always plays up towards the end of the month

Warning emails arrive AFTER the site updates to tell you you've gone over your limit

But no, it's all fine because huge corporations are renowned for their unwavering honesty...

0 Ratings
DS
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 34

@idespisethiscompany wrote:

@StewM wrote:

you seem to be misunderstanding. They are not just selecting certain people to scam, but this 'monitor' is innacurate, it's as simple as that. The innacuracy always seems to be in favour of BT, never the customer. It would be nice to look at the monitor and be shocked at how little I've supposedly used when I know that I've used more. But never the case. Strange hey. And isn't it funny there is no breakdown of usage, so you just can only accept the reading. 

Updates take forever, then happen 3 times in one day

Mystical usage additions appear when you have purposely refrained from doing anything to cause it

It always plays up towards the end of the month

Warning emails arrive AFTER the site updates to tell you you've gone over your limit

But no, it's all fine because huge corporations are renowned for their unwavering honesty...

Well, they're not selecting me.

Apart from a incident a few years back when BTV usage was being counted, mine's been fine since*

*when it updates!

And having checked mine just now, I'm surprised how little I've used this month

usage.PNG

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 34

idespisethiscompany wrote:

Well, you're the only one who's said that. Nobody else has suggested that the monitor is OK, just that effectively accusing BT of using it for deliberate fraud is a bit silly.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
MonicaJ
Contributor
Message 18 of 34

The Daily Mail website is still displaying this item from 26th May 2008. So the 'man on the top of the Clapham Omnibus' might conclude the allegations described were not successfully challenged by BT lawyers seeking for falsehoods to be removed. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1022020/British-Telecom-pay-1-75million-centre-fraud.html

When extra charges are applied to your account AND you are unable to have meaningful dialogue with anyone despite lengthy queuing for chat and numerous chat transfers etc... 

You ask yourself WHY?   

Can they REALLY be that incompetent OR could it be purposeful?

In utter frustration, I can see how people get to the point of wondering if something is 'going on'.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 34

@MonicaJ wrote:

The Daily Mail website is still displaying this item from 26th May 2008. So the 'man on the top of the Clapham Omnibus' might conclude the allegations described were not successfully challenged by BT lawyers seeking for falsehoods to be removed. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1022020/British-Telecom-pay-1-75million-centre-fraud.html

When extra charges are applied to your account AND you are unable to have meaningful dialogue with anyone despite lengthy queuing for chat and numerous chat transfers etc... 

You ask yourself WHY?   

Can they REALLY be that incompetent OR could it be purposeful?

In utter frustration, I can see how people get to the point of wondering if something is 'going on'.

That fraud would appear to me to have been caused by staff wanting to increase their bonus for calls and as the employer BT had vicarious responsability for its staff hence the reason the had to pay out. It doesn't appear to be a corporate fraud of the type suggested by the posters on this thread but who knows!!

0 Ratings
beenrippedoff
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 34

ive been subject to this scam. When i changed my plan i was averaging just under 20 gb mnth but as i went over a couple of times they suggested i go for 40 which i did. Even BT state my average usage is 20gb mnth ... till i got infinity that is...... suddenly im using 40 gb mnth according to them! when i complained they said someone has my security key... well i didnt notice any burglaries and the only one to get near the hub to see the key is their engineer. so their saying their own out of the box security is ****?? ...  anyway ive changed the key and guess what... its still the same usage surprise surprise. so far this month i used 2.5g in 3 days the 2.9 the next day then 4.7 next day 0.4, 0,3 then ..Apparently 0.0 ????then..1.9

So its about as acurate as dropping a pork sausage from a plane at 20.000ft and trying to get it in a tea cup!

i have heard about line faults causing data to be constantly rebounded and resent and registering as usage?  whatever it is its to do with the fibre changeover I'm sure.

0 Ratings