cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 22

BT Broadband - what a farce

I am making this post half to warn potential new customers of how poor BT are are restoring your service after a technical hitch, and half to see if I am the only person having these issues, or if indeed it is "all of Northern Britain" as they have continually claimed (and of which I am becoming more and more suspicious). So please, if you are having issues like mine, please let me know. I have workmates with BT who state their service is just fine!?!

For the record, I am in the 01555 exchange area (mid-Scotland). And I should say, before the tirade, that I have been a BT Broadband customer for many years, and they have been pretty good up to now. OK, here goes...

29 Oct, 2010: At around 6.30pm GMT, BT experienced a major server fault that apparently took out all broadband services based on BT equipment for N.Ireland, Scotland and N.England. This is well-documented. The Internet light went out on my router, and the BT technical support helpline stopped taking calls and instead gave a recorded message basically stating “We cannot take your call, everything is majorly broken, try again tomorrow.”

30 Oct, 2010: During the evening I saw I had an Internet light on my router again, but sadly, my service was unusable. The basic pattern was a few minutes of it working fine, followed by many more minutes of zero bandwidth. Typical web pages like yahoo could take 15 minutes to draw. Running the BT Speedchecker gave a result of 3Kbps on a line with an acceptable range of 1000Kbps to 6000Kbps. Running latency checkers gave constantly varying results, leaping from 120ms to 9000ms from one moment to the next. In short, useless!

I phoned the helpline at this point, and after waiting 30+ minutes (what’s up with that??) in a queue, I got through to a real human, and was told that although the main problem was fixed, most customers in my area were experiencing very poor service, or even no service. I was assured it would be "restored" within 24 hours. When I asked what exactly “my area” meant, she said it was again, all of northern Britain and Ireland.

The above now became a repeating pattern; with me trying to surf and game every night, getting no usable service, phoning them, waiting 30+ minutes in the queue only to be told the fault was on-going and would be fixed in 24 hours. Day after day, the same response from the helpline. On FOUR occasions they even offered to phone me back after the 24 hour period, to see how it was going, and to save me the massive wait in the helpline queue which I had moaned about. They actually phoned me only ONE of those times….and only to tell me it was still broken!

[As an aside: I think on the Tuesday (2nd Nov), they actually stated the original major fault has re-occurred and we were back to square one. Who cares? All I can see is a failed Broadband service and a provider apparently unable to fix it in anything like a timely manner.]

Anyway, FINALLY on the evening of Sunday 7th Nov (only NINE days after the initial problem), I eventually get back what seems to be a more or less working service. It is slower than it use to be, but at least it is hanging together and no longer exhibiting the “do nothing every five minutes” pattern. With my now massivly decreased expectations, this is BLISS.

This blissful wonderland last a mere 48 hours though, and on the evening of Tuesday 9th November, the whole thing has gone kaput, and once again I have 2 minutes working, following by 5 or more minutes of NOTHING. Unusable in the extreme. I phone tech support AGAIN, and after yet another joyous 45 minute wait, I am told the original problem has once again recurred!!! Something about the wiring they mumble. I ask who exactly is affected, and again (as they have been syaing ALL along) they claim it is all of Scotland, N.Ireland and N.England – everyone using BT equipment for their Broadband service. Not for the last time, I wonder why I haven’t seen anything on the news about this **bleep**??

That brings us to today. Again I have been promised a fix in 24 hours and told (again) to turn my router off and on(advice I am always dubious about). I would seriously drop BT as a provider like a hot potato if I could, but whoever I went with would be leasing the failed BT equipment anyway, as I am in a reasonably rural area (hence fibre is out of the question). Looks like I'm trapped with BT or no one?? Not sure how that works.

Incidently, over the course of these 12 days with little or no service, BT have offered me absolutely nothing by way of recompense. The closest they got was to offer 4 complimentary "callback" phone calls, of which even then, they only came through on ONE. I also think a 30 to 45 minute wait on AVERAGE on their technical helpline is rather pathetic. I’d never do business with them again, if I thought I could.

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 2 of 22

Re: BT Broadband - what a farce

Hi GoldenVoid,

Thanks for the post and welcome to the forum.  I fully appreciate why you are so frustrated and I am really sorry for the service you have received thus far.  I would like to help.

Can you please drop me an email to the email address in my profile, include your BT account details and the link to this thread.  Once I receive your details I will find out what is going.

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 22

I feel you pain GoldenVoid....... http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Broadband-off-for-days/td-p/63388

Just been through the same thing over the same time period.

SeanD on the other hand will restore your faith in humanity...take my advice and contact him if you havent already.

I hope nobody minds me saying that I have read that BT are moveing ALL call centres back to the UK and that will be complete by May 2011.......not sure if thats true.....but if it is it's a smart move. Man Wink

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 22

Dont know about BT call centers but quite a few others have done so maybe getting like Japan now comes to UK for cheap labour

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 22

These outages affected many other isp's up your way, not just BT mainly because they also ust BT infrastructure. I expect their helplines were also very busy at the time.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 22

Has anyone tried it today (10th Nov)? I noticed that their Service Status page now no longer lists the original issue AT ALL (major UK outage, originally logged 1st Nov 2010). This suggests to me either it is totally fixed or they are totally clueless. I'll find out when I get home I guess...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 22

Well so far so good. It held together all last night. Slower and higher latency than I'm used to, but it was consistent all night.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Community Manager - Retired
Message 8 of 22

Hi GoldenVoid,

Good to hear you've seen an improvement. I have your email here so I'll run a few checks and take it from there.

Thanks,

Stephanie

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 22

Bah. Spoke too soon. Last night, right back to square one. Unusable the entire night. I managed to get one web page displayed. Couldn't even post a reply to this thread. Obviously the night before was a total fluke and they are totally clueless. I couldn't even be bothered phoning tech help I am so fed up with this garbage and fed up waiting 45 minutes in the queue. And fed up dealing with BT. If the software company I work for treated their customers like this and allowed 14 day service outage, I'd be out on my backside. AND DESERVEDLY SO.

And how surprising, no fault reported in the status page.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 22

Well, Stephanie and SeanD, do you have any results or news that might restore my faith.

I wonder how long before they start saying it's a problem at my end?

0 Ratings