cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

BT Business Hub 5 - how to configure to use non-BT DNS servers?

Hi all, I wonder if you can help me please.

I have BT Infinity 2 Unlimited VDSL.  I have both a HH5 and a Business Hub 5 (latter bought on web auction site).  I want to use Google DNS (or other DNS servers) on the Business Hub 5 instead of BT's slow DNS servers.  I have tried changing the primary and secondary DNS servers to the Google ones (and then saving the configuration), but I'm not seeing any increase in speed.  Are there any other settings on the BH5 I need to change, eg DHCP, gateway IP, etc?  if so, what to?

(I originally got ~70Mbps wired to the HH5, but over the last few months am now getting ~55Mbps.  I have FTTC and am 160m from the cabinet.  I have contacted BT to get them to rectify this - they are 'still investigating'.  They say there's been no throttling.)

Thanks in advance for all genuine help/advice. My apologies if I haven't given sufficient or incorrect info.  🙂

Regards
pmet90

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: BT Business Hub 5 - how to configure to use non-BT DNS servers?

I doubt changing the dns servers will help with your actually connection speed 

if you have a HH5 can you go to hub manager then trobleshooting then helpdesk and post 1-12

are you using test socket with new filter or do you have a SSFP (2 sockets)

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  must be done with wired connection  btspeedtester

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number wholesale FTTC check

try quiet line test   dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 18

Hi imjolly,

Thank you very much for kindly replying to my enquiry. Below are the details you asked for:

(1) Troubleshooting/Helpdesk/1-12

1. Product name:

BT Home Hub

2. Serial number:

+068343+NQ41808393

3. Firmware version:

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 03/07/15

4. Board version:

BT Hub 5A

5. DSL uptime:

2 days, 23:55:06

6. Data rate:

15186 / 59408

7. Maximum data rate:

14989 / 59332

8. Noise margin:

5.8 / 6.4

9. Line attenuation:

19.8 / 13.2

10. Signal attenuation:

20.0 / 13.3

11. Data sent/received:

912.9 MB / 9.8 GB

12. Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Straight away I can see number 7 - maximum (download) data rate is 59332! What the heck?! Has it been deliberately capped by BT? I clearly recall getting 70+ Mbps when I first signed up to Infinity 2. What gives?

(2) BTSpeedtest:

1. Best Effort Test:

Download Speed : 55.15 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:

Upload Speed : 13.11 Mbps

(3) Wholesale FTTC check:

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER

Telephone Number *********** on Exchange WANSTEAD is served by Cabinet 33

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

High

Low

High

Low

FTTC Range A (Clean)

--

Available

FTTC Range B (Impacted)

--

Available

WBC ADSL 2+

Up to 5.5

--

4.5 to 6.5

Available

WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M

Up to 5.5

Up to 1

4.5 to 6.5

Available

ADSL Max

Up to 5

--

3.5 to 7.5

Available

WBC Fixed Rate

--

--

Available

Fixed Rate

--

--

Available

Other Offerings

Fibre Multicast

--

--

--

Available

Copper Multicast

--

--

--

Available

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC or WBC SOGEA) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

(4) Quiet line test:

This was done (unfortunately only cordless DECT phone)- I couldn't hear any unusual sounds or crackling or anything like that.

I am using a double socket (which doesn't need a filter).

Why do you doubt that changing DNS servers will help with connection speed?

Thanks very much again in advance for all help/advice received. Apologies if I've given insufficient/incorrect info. 🙂

Regards

pmet90

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

as you can see your speed and attainable are lower than your estimated speed but your line is not capped by BT.

you are on a Huawei cab which will have G.INP enabled and this with hh5a may be the reason for the drop in speed.  I can't find anything at the moment which says if the business hub 5 works like the hh5b with G.INP which may get speed improved

you could try business hub  change username to bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password BT

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/BT-G-INP/td-p/1460086

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 18

@pmet90 wrote:

Why do you doubt that changing DNS servers will help with connection speed?

Because DNS servers have absolutely no involvement whatsoever in connection speed. Changing DNS servers may improve web browsing speed but not connection speed which is determined by the physical characteristics of your line between your modem and the DSLAM in the green cabinet.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 18

There are occasions when using different DNS servers might help with connection speeds. A lot of large content providers and EA being one of them including Origin use different servers in different countries even with the same DNS name. Depending on the DNS hierachy you can sometimes get punted to a different country. A lot of people report better download speeds when using google DNS servers as it looks like you get resolved to the US where the latency for downloads might be higher but the speed appears to he higher, suggesting some contention with Origin's UK servers.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 18

That is not connection speed. Connection speed refers purely to the DSL speed.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 18

Hi imjolly, licquorice and Jonkarra,

Thank you all very much for kindly replying to my enquiry.

imjolly, I think you've hit the nail right on the head.

I did some reading up on the G.Inp issue, which suggested that the Openreach Huawei HG612 3B modem could indeed cope with it. So I tried connecting my HG612 3B (which came with my HH3) as the VDSL modem and using the HH5A as a router only. Voila, I'm now back up to around 63 Mbps (from 55 Mbps), so I'm leaving it like that for now. 🙂

I haven't tried the BH5A again, as I understand it's exactly the same physically as the HH5A (chipset etc), only the firmware is different (can anyone please confirm this?).

The BT fault/technical team have phoned me a number of times over the last week in response to my slower broadband fault report, they claim not to have heard of the G.Inp issue. Earlier today I asked them not to bother any more with pointless exchange/line tests and "fixes", all of which have been done repeatedly with no result. I asked them to simply arrange for a BT engineer to come round as soon as possible to officially confirm the G.Inp issue is present, and then once that's done for BT to send me a freebie 5B to replace the 5A.

With regards to changing the DNS servers, all I want is to speed up access to web sites. If anyone has any further info on doing that successfully using a Business Hub 5 (A or B), please could you let me know?

Once again thanks very much in advance for all help/advice received. Apologies if I've given insufficient/incorrect info. 🙂

Regards

pmet90

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

the hub 5a and 5b have different firmware and chipsets there is no point in getting an Openreach engineer visit as there is no point and you could well be charged for the visit you have found the problem yourself by using the modem

also you are not likely to get a hub 5b if you ask for one as they send out the first available hub be it an a or b the call centre has no control over it
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

I would stick with the modem and router as many others have done. If BT did agree to send a new hub it is 50/50 whether you get an a or b

0 Ratings