cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeffw
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

BT Call Protect - Unrecognised numbers Setting

I have a previous post under this title marked solved.  However, this has proved to be not true.

In brief, I have a 89 year old sister in Australia.  I wanted to setup Call Protect to ensure her calls get through but the 12+ nuisance calls a day are blocked.  The answer appeared to be install Call Protect and subscribe to 1572 so that I can list VIP numbers.

My Call Protect Settings are:

Blacklist settings:

Personal Blacklist: ON
BT Blacklist: ON

Call type settings:

Withheld numbers: ALLOW
Unrecognised numbers: STOP
International calls: ALLOW

VIP List:
My sister's full international number.

I have just received an urgent text from one of my sister’s daughters to say my sister  cannot call me!

Checking I see that my sisters’ calls have been list as “Unrecognised” and blocked.  Is BT unable to recognise Australian numbers?  Checking  1572 there are worried messages from my bemused sister.  Is there an answer to my problem?

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
pompey1898
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: BT Call Protect - Unrecognised numbers Setting

@jeffw wrote:

I have a previous post under this title marked solved.  However, this has proved to be not true.

In brief, I have a 89 year old sister in Australia.  I wanted to setup Call Protect to ensure her calls get through but the 12+ nuisance calls a day are blocked.  The answer appeared to be install Call Protect and subscribe to 1572 so that I can list VIP numbers. You can't list VIP numbers on 1572, you need to pay for 1571 I think

My Call Protect Settings are:

Blacklist settings:

Personal Blacklist: ON
BT Blacklist: ON

Call type settings:

Withheld numbers: ALLOW
Unrecognised numbers: STOP
International calls: ALLOW

VIP List:
My sister's full international number.

I have just received an urgent text from one of my sister’s daughters to say my sister  cannot call me!

Checking I see that my sisters’ calls have been list as “Unrecognised” and blocked.  Is BT unable to recognise Australian numbers?  Checking  1572 there are worried messages from my bemused sister.  Is there an answer to my problem?

0 Ratings
jeffw
Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Yes, to get the VIP option you have to pay for 1571 and then it is available in Call Protect, so that is what I did.

A couple of other points, VIP is obviously not smart, otherwise it would have refused to accept my sister's number as it could not provide the service it claims to do.

It would be helpful if Call Protect, in addition to telling you how many calls it had sent to your junk voicemail, in my case 98, so far, it told you how many of those calls left messages.  You have to ring 1572 to find that out.  Invariably, it says no messages, so you tend not to bother - my failing!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

@jeffw wrote:

Yes, to get the VIP option you have to pay for 1571 and then it is available in Call Protect, so that is what I did.

A couple of other points, VIP is obviously not smart, otherwise it would have refused to accept my sister's number as it could not provide the service it claims to do.

It would be helpful if Call Protect, in addition to telling you how many calls it had sent to your junk voicemail, in my case 98, so far, it told you how many of those calls left messages.  You have to ring 1572 to find that out.  Invariably, it says no messages, so you tend not to bother - my failing!

Yes, you had previously posted in your original thread that you were subscribing to 1571.

It's confusing though.

Are you saying that your sister actually left a message which was diverted to 1572? (and you forgot to check on 1572?)

Strange that the message didn't come through as a normal message on 1571. 

There's obviously a flaw somewhere in the Call Protect strategy.

I can see an ambiguity if you dialled 1571 and it says at the end "you have no new 1572 messages" - meaning just that: nothing new, and you have a queue of old messages.

0 Ratings
jeffw
Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Sorry if I did not make myself clear.  As I have never had a message diverted to 1572 up until now, despite 89 calls having been blocked over the last 30 days, which is fairly typical.  So I had got into the habit of only checking every so often, my failure.  I was alerted of a problem, by text, on the 2nd June.  So I checked 1572 and there were 2 messages.  The first was just silence, in the second my sister spoke, so I then knew the caller.

My basic question is why did not BT Call Protect recognise my sister's call as an international call, which I have selected to ALLOW?  Instead it treated as an Unrecognised number, which I have set to STOP.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

@jeffw wrote:

Sorry if I did not make myself clear.  As I have never had a message diverted to 1572 up until now, despite 89 calls having been blocked over the last 30 days, which is fairly typical.  So I had got into the habit of only checking every so often, my failure.  I was alerted of a problem, by text, on the 2nd June.  So I checked 1572 and there were 2 messages.  The first was just silence, in the second my sister spoke, so I then knew the caller.

My basic question is why did not BT Call Protect recognise my sister's call as an international call, which I have selected to ALLOW?  Instead it treated as an Unrecognised number, which I have set to STOP.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks as if there's a flaw in the system.

You have probably thought of all this, but just in case........

It's better to enter a caller's number from the calls listing in Call Protect received calls screen.

This is done by viewing the calls list and selecting EDIT > ADD to vip list.

That way there's no confusion in number formatting, and country codes. 

However if the call is listed as Unrecognised there's not much you can do.

And even if you were to temporarily disable the block Unrecognised numbers it will revert when you re enable.

It's Catch 22.

There may be another possible cause of a problem: perhaps there are some other users on the forum who receive calls from Australia?????

How many digits does the number have? If there's less than 10, then this may fool the system, (I think). Do some Australian numbers have only 8 digits?

0 Ratings
jeffw
Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Many thanks for your reply.  I had not thought about whether my sister's number in my VIP list might be wrongly entered.  I have checked my VIP list and the number is displayed as +61 3 9598 ****.  Obviously I have not shown the last four for security reasons.

Do changes to Call Protect settings take place inmediately?  If so, I could call my sister and ask her to call me back in a few minutes.  I could then change the Unrecognised number setting to ALLOW and wait for her call.  I could then use your excellent suggestion " EDIT > ADD to vip list".

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

@jeffw wrote:

Many thanks for your reply.  I had not thought about whether my sister's number in my VIP list might be wrongly entered.  I have checked my VIP list and the number is displayed as +61 3 9598 ****.  Obviously I have not shown the last four for security reasons.

Do changes to Call Protect settings take place inmediately?  If so, I could call my sister and ask her to call me back in a few minutes.  I could then change the Unrecognised number setting to ALLOW and wait for her call.  I could then use your excellent suggestion " EDIT > ADD to vip list".

I'm still scratching my head on this one.

Don't hold your breath!

You may find that even after allowing unrecognised numbers it will still disable the EDIT feature (i.e.add to vip.), although the instructions imply that it will work. You can give it a try.

It's important that the number format is exact - no errors: you have entered the + symbol correctly, though.

If you are still struggling, I'll see if I can ask for a mod to help. There should be a Call Protect expert. (This may take some time for a response).

The important point is that a VIP is a VIP, and the call should have come straight through, ignoring all other settings, and not dumped into 1572.

I receive calls directly from USA and they come through immediately, even from Skype, mobiles, and also from their home numbers.

0 Ratings
jeffw
Contributor
Message 9 of 14

I have tried out the experiment.  I changed my Call Protect setting for Unrecognised numbers to Allow.

I then phoned my sister and ask her to ring me back.  When she did return my call my Gigaset S795 system displayed who was calling and I had no problem connecting to her.

However, when I went to my Call Protect page under Last calls received it lists the call at the correct time but the number is listed as "Unrecognised"!!  "Curiouser and curiouser cried Alice"

I have copied the screen as a jpg file.  Is there a safe way I can send it to you?

I have an old 90s(?) BT Caller Display 2000.  It is often better at spotting International calls than my Gigaset S795.  The Caller Display 2000 listed my sister's call as International.

As a retired R&D manager, iwould love to know what is going on.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

@jeffw wrote:

I have tried out the experiment.  I changed my Call Protect setting for Unrecognised numbers to Allow.

I then phoned my sister and ask her to ring me back.  When she did return my call my Gigaset S795 system displayed who was calling and I had no problem connecting to her.

However, when I went to my Call Protect page under Last calls received it lists the call at the correct time but the number is listed as "Unrecognised"!!  "Curiouser and curiouser cried Alice"

I have copied the screen as a jpg file.  Is there a safe way I can send it to you?

I have an old 90s(?) BT Caller Display 2000.  It is often better at spotting International calls than my Gigaset S795.  The Caller Display 2000 listed my sister's call as International.

As a retired R&D manager, iwould love to know what is going on.

I have asked for a moderator to help on this topic.

This may take some time, if they are busy.

It's better that you post details in their secure environment.