cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Expert
Message 181 of 301

Re: BT Call Protect

very pleased with this since I set it up, has more or less solved the junk calls problem 🙂

Web site seems to be regularly offline for days at a time though, is it just me ?

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 182 of 301

@srpsrp wrote:

very pleased with this since I set it up, has more or less solved the junk calls problem 🙂Same here

Web site seems to be regularly offline for days at a time though, is it just me ?I don't have this problem, although I only check the website every 3 or 4 days or so.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 183 of 301

Ive posted earlier about this and somehow it needs to be communicated to the Call Protect development team.

Since Ive had CP activated, the number of cold calls has dropped significantly. However, a green energy windows company appears to have found a loophoole to get past CP. They have managed to disguise their number such that it cannot be recognised by the CP system. The message from CP on trying to add the number to the blocked list is "Sorry the last number to call cannot be recognised."

When I used 1471 to try to find the number, that service said "The last number 00 called at (time)." So BT need to either update the whole CP system to recognise and bar 00 number or, enable Users to manually add 00 as a number.

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 184 of 301

If this is a number that the system doesn't understand then it ought to be stopped if you have the option to
'STOP unrecognised numbers' turned on in the Call Protect options.

Richard

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 185 of 301

Received a silent call from a genuine UK land-line, area code 01879 (Scarinish, Isle of Tiree) plus 6 digits.  On calling back this number, it returned a recorded message re-directing me to dial an 0844 number, presumably a money-making scam. 

Two unusual features:

1. The call does not appear on the list of incoming calls on the online Call Protect management facility.

2. An immediate attempt to use the telephone to blacklist the offending incoming number failed, the Call Protect announcement saying that the number was not recognised. However, the Call Protect online facility did accept the number when entered as a new addition to the blacklist.    

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 186 of 301

Doesn't it only list calls if you've answered them or the answerphone answered them?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 187 of 301

My experience thus far is that it lists all incoming calls, including those that are not answered.  Test this by calling from a mobile, or get someone to call from another line, and clear down after a burst of ringing.  Anyway, in this instance the call was answered.

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 188 of 301

I don't know then. You could always ask BT if you can't block a number. There may be a technical explanation, or perhaps they will add it to the global list.
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 189 of 301

Since late last year after a decision not to pay the annual line rental to BT I have been paying £1.75 a month for BT Privacy & Caller Display. 

Yesterday after a large number of scam calls I called BT to find out why I was suddenly experiencing this and that they should be aware three of four of these calls were purporting to be from BT Internet to discuss a 'problem' with their router. Unfortunately, when asked to give a brief description of why I was calling BT the automated sytem eventually took me through to an option to order BT Call Protect.

Fine, I can now see on the website those numbers showing on my handset as being unavailble with an option to blacklist - good. Still confused though as this morning I am looking to see if I am correct in asssuming that if the number displayed has just nine digits rather than ten, it is a spoof. But now I read through some of the posts here and I beginning to think that why didn't I already have this add on whilst I have been paying that £1.75 monthly fee, I thought Caller Protect went hand in hand with this extra?

Finally I do wish BT would stop all this 'flim flam' on providing these extras and just roll them into the product they are providing at a simple understanble price for that service along with an option to remove or turn it off as the customer feels fit. I t would certainly make life a littel easier for me, at least.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 190 of 301

@drifter wrote:

But now I read through some of the posts here and I beginning to think that why didn't I already have this add on whilst I have been paying that £1.75 monthly fee, I thought Caller Protect went hand in hand with this extra?  No, 1571 is an extra cost as stated on one's Call Protect page, viz :-

"Get BT Answer 1571 with BT Call Protect for greater protection & control for just £2.50 a month"

0 Ratings