cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 231 of 301

Re: BT Call Protect

Are you aware of this website where the number you refer to is noted? https://who-called.co.uk/Number/007402140134

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 232 of 301

Been using call protect for about a month now and to d it 100%.  A few rogue spoofed numbers got though, blocked it immediately, then they came back on another number a minute later, blocked that as well.  All quiet again.

One thing I have noticed is that the time of the calls in the BT webpage list is all one hour out (+1).

Also found NHS have tried phoning me, but have withheld the number.  One then phoned without withholding the number to get through, but another person didn't and let a message on 1572.  As there is no indication of a message on the handset it's pure luck we get the message

0 Ratings
Message 233 of 301

This is a long drawn out thread.

However, there are always some interesting variations.

Had a call from a "Microsoft" Indian ex patriot today. The number displayed on Call Protect logs as a USA number.

However, the phone handset displayed the caller number as unavailable, and another call blocking device showed the caller as "unavailable voip".

So....Call Protect was the most informative and the number is now blacklisted.

It's a mystery as to why only Call Protect traced the number, though.

You will also note that the call log times have been on GMT for some weeks now. Smiley Indifferent

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 234 of 301

@Ribblelancs,

Hi & Happy New Year.

I've had the odd spam caller getting through just lately.  They seem to be comong from genuine geographic numbers so I guess the spammers are finding new ways of getting through.  I've never bothered searching the number, I don't see the point, just blacklist them.

0 Ratings
Message 235 of 301

@pompey1898 wrote:

@Ribblelancs,

Hi & Happy New Year.

I've had the odd spam caller getting through just lately.  They seem to be comong from genuine geographic numbers so I guess the spammers are finding new ways of getting through.  I've never bothered searching the number, I don't see the point, just blacklist them.

Happy New Year to you!

It's only dull and damp here:- we missed the snow.

This case I mentioned is interesting, as the "Microsoft" caller tried again, one hour later. The number was already blacklisted by then as it shows in the CP logs. Hence the condition is repeatable.

A useful feature by default, though, as I don't want to block all "unavailable" numbers.

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 236 of 301

Hi

So far so good. I  run this remotely for my mum. I also have had the 1471 callback disabled (she was calling scammers!).

But, every few days, when I go to add a new number to the blacklist I get a warning saying that the blacklist is not switched on with an option to switch it on - which I do, and it then confirms my changes and continues.

Anyone else seeing this? What is causing this?

I login to my mums account a number of times every day to pick up the scam merchants.

Oh yes, all lgit as I have POA.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 237 of 301

I have never seen my blacklist switched off.

How are you identifying the spammers ?

What types of calls do you have blocked ?

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 238 of 301

I am click on the number and hit "Blacklist this Number", and the description etc. (After checking on the net to see if it's a known scammer). Most times this is just fine - but every now and then it says the blacklist is off, gives me a button to turn it on again, which I do and all is fine for a while.

No one else has access to the account.

I also would like the service to let me blacklist based on area code too! We get Northern Ireland a lot, and I know that e.g. we will not get any calls from London 020, so that would chop out a huge numberof scam calls for us.

Any ideas why it's getting switched off?

Strange.

Mind you, I used to have it on my own phone, but had to stop it because the HMRC verification phone call was getting blocked, which was a pain - but again, not every time - very odd - but you never knew if/when it was to be blocked.

TIA

Rob

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 239 of 301

I have occasionally experienced the same problem where an attempt to blacklist through the website returns a message that the personal blacklist is turned off, despite it previously having been set to "on".  

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 240 of 301

Thanks for this --- now I know I'm not going mad! It's annoying, but surmountable. So, it's not just me the website has it in for!

What else doesn't work though if the blacklist is switched off?

Rob.

0 Ratings