cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
old_email
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 7

BT Caller Display - please help

This has not worked with any regularity for me for 12 and maybe as long as 20 months.

I report it as a fault - it gets logged - then the fault is shown as clear "no fault found".

I do not get the caller's number on my phone display - I have Caller display in my package and #*234* confirms it is on.

I've posted on here before and last week I called faults again just after renewing my 12 month broadband + line package.

The lady who took my call last week promised me she would "take ownership" of the fault but now seems to have disappeared.

I'm fed up of just seeing "Calling" on the display and having to decide whether to pick up (friend) or leave it (foe=scam/spam/automated etc).

I don't know how to isolate whether it may be my handset (cheap Chinese but has worked for several years). 

Can someone help out isolate where the problem lies?  I've heard but have no confirmation that there are some compatibility issues with POTS & Broadband equipment in some exchanges - if that is my situation I would like at least to be told. 

Thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Caller Display - please help

Hi

Have you tried another corded phone with caller display (borrow one?) direct into the test point of your main telephone socket? Try it without a filter plugged in.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
old_email
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

Thanks Dave.  I am plugged direct to the master socket and have even tried it with my router disconnected.

What is fairly consistent is that if I disable Caller Display, then enable it (using *234* and #234*) then the number will display for the next and maybe the next 2 or 3 calls.  This leads me to think that it is an exchange issue.

I'll ask around if anyone can let me use an alternate handset but offhand I don't know of anyone locally.

0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

rather than just plug into the msin socket. can you ensure you are plugged into the test socket. you will need to remove 2 screws and then a front plate. This is to ensure all your own internal wiring and equipment is disconnected.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
old_email
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 7

Apologies - I had meant to say Test socket.  I plugged into there a year or so back when trying to get the most out of my broadband and haven't put the faceplate back since.

0 Ratings
old_email
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

Well this is wierd and I don't understand it.

I've borrowed a Binatone Lyris 710 phone from a friend.  Plugged it in and rang myself using my mobile.  Success.  Get my friend to ring.  Success.  Get my sister to ring. Success. 

Now I plugged BOTH my phone and the Binatone using a simple double adapter and both phones work.

Why would that happen? 

For what it's worth my phone is as seen at

**Edited**

Wiring is Filter into Test socket.  Internet into filter, phone into filter or double adapter into filter.  No other cables.

Filters used:  BT supplied with Home Hub 4 and also an ADSLNation XF-le.

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

I know nothing about your phone and that won't change because my rating tool warns against entering the site you've linked. Is it really worth persevering with a dodgy, obscure import when tried and trusted phones are available pretty cheaply?

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings