Did you mean: 
Oleg
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

BT Cloud API

Go to solution

Hello
Just signed up to BT Cloud and would like it to use it for my FreeBSD backup
I appreciate that no Linux app is available from BT, but there are plenty backup solutions for Linux around which use industry standard protocols (SFTP, FTPS, WebDAV, S3) and all BT Cloud competitors are fine with these - there are solutions for Amason S3, Google Storage, cloudme.net, Backblaze... But I can't find anything in this respect for BT Cloud.

Am I missing the trick?

Thank you

Oleg

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
JoeV
Retired BT Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Cloud API

Go to solution

Hi @Oleg,

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm afraid it's not possible to connect to BT Cloud over any of the protocols you've mentioned - the only way to access the service is through the web interface or through the BT Cloud software (for Windows, Mac, and mobile).

We do test the BT Cloud web interface with Firefox on Linux based systems so you can do 'one off' backups using this, but you won't be able to schedule regular backups.

Thanks,

Joe

Oleg
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Hi Joe
Thank you for the quick reply

My Linux box is a home server and has no graphical desktop / firefox available.

Not sure if there is a "requested features" list available, but would think that industry standard API would be the one supported by many of your customers (and as mentioned, already available from most of your competitors).

Kind Regards,

Oleg

I probably can create a Microsoft VM on the Linux server and use it to run BT Windows client to do backups, but it would be a terrible waste of resources.

gregewing
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

I'm also interested in sing BT Cloud storage as a destination for backups using a 3rd arty software.  I use Duplicati to manage backups and woudl appreciate any guidance on how to interface with BT Cloud Storage without being deendent on a browser.  

It shold be pssible to use HTTPS with Duplicati to connect to BT Cloud, but I think a little help from BT would make the job much easier.  Perhas if someone were able to let us kow the underlieing service provider, that might help point us in teh right direction.

Thanks  🙂

0 Ratings
ameeno
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

I also want API/alternative access to the bt cloud service.

i would then be able to mount it via rclone or somthing,

Actually i was checking if BT Cloud is a rebrand of another companies product, or is it truely inhouse?

File storage only accessable via the browser of a dedicated client is pretty scary.