cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NightRat
Message 1 of 17

BT Cloud - Backing up external hard drive

Go to solution

I know BT do not support the backing up of external hard drives however it does add that it won't prevent me from doing so.  

This suggests to me that it is possible however when using the iMac app I can't find a way of selecting any drive other than my Mac.

All of my photos are stored on an external drive - Transferring them to my computer has almost filled it up!!!

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: BT Cloud - Backing up external hard drive

Go to solution

Hi NightRat,

Thanks for posting. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. At the moment BT Cloud does not support external or network attached drives/storage. There may be a little confusion here but in reality even if  the drive is listed as visible any attempt to add files from that location will fail.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
cjbritt
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

is there a reason behind this? I dont understand why it would not allow back up from an external HD. Most people would use exteranl HD's to keep a large amount of files. Is there any plans to change this?

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

It may be connected with the issue that BT Cloud is sync and not backup.  One manifestation is that it deletes from the cloud any files you delete from the local storage.  It may be that it is not clever enough to tell the difference between a file/directory that has been deleted, and one that happens not to be mounted right now; and so thinks it is safer never to let you sync from a directory that may get dismounted.

0 Ratings
benjiii
Beginner
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

One option would be to compress or zip the files on your external HD then using the online access to BT cloud (www.btcloud.bt.com) then add files , browse to the external HD and choose the zip folder.

This would allow a back up of the data but you wouldnt be able to view the photos on the BT cloud.

Hope this helps

0 Ratings
cjbritt
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution
That makes sense, thanks for taking the time to answer
0 Ratings
cjbritt
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution
thanks for the response and would be an option although wouldnt do what I wanted to do. thanks again
0 Ratings
NightRat
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

Hi, thanks for your response.  Do you know if this is likely to be added in the future?  All of my photos are on an external hard drive due to their size.  Having signed up to BT I have now had to transfer the lot of them across to my computer which has pretty much filled it up!

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Pegasus3245
Beginner
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

Hi,
I think I have a possible solution for backing up your network drives.

You can create a symbolic link to your network drive inside the BT Cloud Sync folder.

Open command prompt in administrator mode, and type eg:
mklink /D "C:\Users\BT Cloud Sync\Pictures" "Z:\Pictures"

Where Z: is my mapped network drive for my pictures on my NAS.

This then creates a 'hard link' to your NAS or External HD, the BT Cloud Sync thinks that your NAS folder or External HD folder is inside the Cloud Sync folder, but it isnt!

Hope this helps?

TY2016
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

@Pegasus3245 wrote:

Hi,
I think I have a possible solution for backing up your network drives.

You can create a symbolic link to your network drive inside the BT Cloud Sync folder.

Open command prompt in administrator mode, and type eg:
mklink /D "C:\Users\BT Cloud Sync\Pictures" "Z:\Pictures"

Where Z: is my mapped network drive for my pictures on my NAS.

This then creates a 'hard link' to your NAS or External HD, the BT Cloud Sync thinks that your NAS folder or External HD folder is inside the Cloud Sync folder, but it isnt!

Hope this helps?

Thank you so much!!!! 

I've spent a week trying to work this out and you're the first person who actually has a clue!

In my case I wanted to link a Hard Drive located at G:\

Just to verify, here's what I did:

1) Found the default BT Cloud storage folder.

C:\Users\James\BT Cloud Sync

(you can find your path by going to C:\Users\ on your file explorer.

2) Ran command prompt (cmd.exe) as administrator.

3) Entered:

mklink /D "C:\Users\James\BT Cloud Sync\XXXXXXXXXX" "G:\"

N.B Make sure that there is no existing folder called XXXXXXXXXX within the BT Cloud Sync folder. Make up one when entering the command, e.g. 

mklink /D "C:\Users\James\BT Cloud Sync\HolyCrapItWorked" "G:\"

mklink /D "C:\Users\James\BT Cloud Sync\WhyDidBTBlockExternalHDDS" "G:\"

mklink /D "C:\Users\James\BT Cloud Sync\TakeThatBT" "G:\"

4) Immediately thanked @Pegasus3245 for his awesome idea and advice.

0 Ratings