cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

BT Cloud Backup Complete xxx files not backed up.....

Bt Cloud backup does not complete all files, I always get a message 'BT Cloud Backup Complete xxx files not backed up'.

I have chatted with a BT support guy and he says that some files types cannot be backed up, but is unable to tell me which ones (except for .pst files which I am not trying to back up).

If the system doesn't complete the backup, with no reasons given,  then it's not reliable as a backup method.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Guru
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT Cloud Backup Complete xxx files not backed up.....

I haven't checked it recently but it used to be truly terrible.  

It used to do sync rather than backup, sometimes a good thing, but not if you accidently delete a file or directory somewhere and the deletion replicates to the server and to other clients.  Also, the very early variants invented impossible sync conflicts and then mishandled them; I think that is fixed now.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

So, does anyone have an answer to this? I have now 'backed up' a 'my documents' folder from another PC and again not all the files were transferred - either that or the report 'xxx files not backed up' is incorrect.

I was wanting to get extra backup space and will pay for it, but not if I cannot rely on the backups. Does anyone know of a test that I could do to see which files were not transferred (other than manully going through the listings on the PC and in the Cloud app).

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Just discovered (by seraching folders) that files with an .suo extension are missing (these are used by Microsoft Visual Studio). This doesn't account for all the missing ones, though, there must be others.

So why doesn't it back up .suo files?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

@quilkin wrote:

Just discovered (by seraching folders) that files with an .suo extension are missing (these are used by Microsoft Visual Studio). This doesn't account for all the missing ones, though, there must be others.

Some digging into the past would be required, but I think that there's a problem with backing files which are constantly subjected to online updates.

You have to create a "snapshot" of this type of file, before backup.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

@Ribblelancs wrote:

@quilkin wrote:

Some digging into the past would be required, but I think that there's a problem with backing files which are constantly subjected to online updates.

You have to create a "snapshot" of this type of file, before backup.

Have read your post on the separate thread, but thought it more appropriate to post here..

If it's cost, simplicity and time as a priority, then it's better to make the one-off investment in a good USB3 portable hard drive. These come in terabytes nowadays.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Personally I don't use cloud services at all, but I can see the benefit as a tertiary source of backup to mitigate against fire/flood/theft etc which a portable hard drive doesn't give unless removed from site every day.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

@licquorice wrote:

Personally I don't use cloud services at all, but I can see the benefit as a tertiary source of backup to mitigate against fire/flood/theft etc which a portable hard drive doesn't give unless removed from site every day.

Agreed, a good tertiary option, but there are some limitations in file sizes and types.

BT Cloud has a good individual file size limit (10GB?). Other providers are also increasing their storage limits in competition.

There are limtitions in file types, e.g. files in use, or files associated with a specific application.

I haven't searched but there should be a listing of supported file types for BT Cloud. The pst file is the most obvious exclusion, and quite important as it contains useful data:- notes, calendar mail etc. It's best to rename that file, and backup to cloud periodically. 

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 9 of 12

The BT support guy I spoke to knew of no list. He just told me about the Outlook .pst which is already mentioned in the help somewhere.

If you are backing up a complex project, created with a tool like Microsoft Visual Studio, and key files are not backed up then the project isn't going to work if restored from the backup. It could take ages to re-create the missing files. Hence my conclusion that a backup which ignores certain files (without knowing which) is next to useless. But OK for your photo collection I suppose.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

I was only making the point that all cloud backup utilities have limitations. Take a look at either Google, or the Know-How team.
If you backup a file which is constantly changing, then you are using up your data connection rate, and most of your connection time is used by this - that's ignoring your processor usage.
Perhaps BT is smart in not allowing this.
Have you searched F Secure website?
An analogy is BT's NetProtect, which is provided by McAfee.
0 Ratings